Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best and Worst  (Read 4899 times)

Winkfan

Best and Worst
« on: May 27, 2004, 12:11:55 AM »
Now that some of us have NICK GaS on our cable systems, here's a question I'm posing to you: Who do you think are the best and worst hosts ever to do a game show on Nickelodeon? For starters, here's MY choices.....

BEST: Marc Summers, hands down! (with Mike O'Malley coming in at a close second.)

WORST: To be honest, I can't think of any.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Barbara Feldon of the Big Board!'

P.S. I just now realized how Harvey was real skinny back then!
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024)

TonicBH

Best and Worst
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 12:16:29 AM »
If the host name isn't Mike O'Malley or Marc Summers, then they're on the worst. (Although, I must admit, Wesley Eure and Lew Schneider weren't that bad...)
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

davewalls

Best and Worst
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 12:27:01 AM »
Can't think of a worst host? "Think Fast" Season 2 host Skip Lackey ring a bell? He made Michael Carrington look GOOD.
Dave Walls

http://www.davewalls.net

(insert witty comment about self here)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Best and Worst
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 12:35:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'May 26 2004, 11:11 PM\'] Now that some of us have NICK GaS on our cable systems, here's a question I'm posing to you: Who do you think are the best and worst hosts ever to do a game show on Nickelodeon? For starters, here's MY choices.....

BEST: Marc Summers, hands down! (with Mike O'Malley coming in at a close second.)

WORST: To be honest, I can't think of any.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Barbara Feldon of the Big Board!'

P.S. I just now realized how Harvey was real skinny back then! [/quote]
 Perhaps you forgot about Michael Carrington, Phil Moore, and Larry Toffler.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

inturnaround

Best and Worst
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 01:03:08 AM »
[quote name=\'cac8383\' date=\'May 27 2004, 12:39 AM\'] The worst host in Nickelodeon game show history is: Phil Moore. Lisps don't help much.  2nd worst would be O'Malley. (Too darn hyper) [/quote]
 Not only was he hyper, but he always talked like he had cotton balls in his mouth.

Still, he did a good job hosting the show, it's just that was a pet peeve o' mine.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Jimmy Owen

Best and Worst
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 01:20:23 AM »
My two faves were Summer and Summers.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

whampyl03

Best and Worst
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 01:39:26 AM »
Best: Marc Summers.  The perfect host for DD, and did a pretty good job on What Would You Do?, and away from Nickelodeon with Pick Your Brain.  No contest here.

Worst:  As big of a Nick Arcade fan that I am, It was clearly obvious that Phil Moore was one of the worst Nick game show hosts.

Steve McClellan

Best and Worst
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 02:14:23 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 26 2004, 10:20 PM\'] My two faves were Summer and Summers. [/quote]
 I was about 13 when Figure it Out was on. In hindsight, there was only one reason I watched. ...Well, two. ;)

Craig Karlberg

Best and Worst
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 04:47:58 AM »
My favoritte Nick host has to be Marc Summers hands down.  When it comes to Double Dare, he was the KING of his domain.

The worst:  As much as I liked Nick Arcade, Phill Moore didn't fit in as host.  He more often than not ad-lib words to the theme music either before or after the Video Challenge.  That drives me crazy sometimes.  UGH!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 04:48:51 AM by Craig Karlberg »

whewfan

Best and Worst
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 07:23:48 AM »
I think one problem with the Nick hosts that followed Marc Summers is that they had the impression for a kid's game show, they had to act like kids.

Wesley Eure- Yes, he told AWFUL jokes, but he seemed quite relaxed and seemed to enjoy being around kids. Only thing was, he hated getting messy.

Lew Schnider- Probably the most low key of the Nick hosts. He wasn't the best host, but he did have some dry wit that made him interesting enough.

Michael Carrington- Michael had the same problem as Gary Owens. He has a wonderful broadcasting voice, but no hosting charisma to match. He should've been the show's announcer!

Mike O'Malley- If you can get past the hyperness, he did make for a good host. He seemed to enjoy what he was doing.... just too much.

Skip Lackey- Oh boy... hearing this guy talk makes you think he "skipped" puberty. Here's a guy that didn't know what he was doing, and from some accounts, didn't understand the mini games and had to ask the judges who the winner was.

Robb Edward Morris- YECH! This guy looks like a cross between Carlton Banks from Fresh Prince of Bel Air and a Star Trek reject. As for his "hosting", one thing that made my stomach turn was when a contestant picked "lose a square", Robb commented "Awwww.... you lose a square!" Cut out the phony sympathy!

Phil Moore- I think Phil's biggest problem was trying to hard to make the game more fun. Let's face it, watching someone play arcade games isn't always that much fun, so he tries to spice it up by ad-libbing corny lyrics to the theme music.
He wasn't any better as host of the short lived "You're On", which was a weak remake of What Would You Do? The premise was very weak because the kids had to convince adults to do stupid and gross things. The problem was, they were at a theme park, and the kids kept telling the adults it was a "school project". SINCE WHEN IS A SCHOOL PROJECT IN A THEME PARK?! The adults only went along with the gag because they probably thought it was part of the theme park attraction, or just out of pity.

Summer Sanders- I had forgotten about Figure it Out, and I think Summer did handle the show very well without having to resort to bad jokes or acting like a kid.
The panelists also developed a chemistry reminiscent of What's My Line and I've Got a Secret. However, with exception of Loribeth Denberg and Amanda Bynes, none of the other panelists have done much since that show.

cmjb13

Best and Worst
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2004, 08:01:24 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'May 27 2004, 07:23 AM\']SINCE WHEN IS A SCHOOL PROJECT IN A THEME PARK?! [/quote]
You'd be suprised during springtime at several Amusement parks, schools do take day trips for projects. I can think of physics off the top of my head being the most common.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

gsfan85

Best and Worst
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2004, 11:30:54 AM »
Obviously, Marc Summers is the best Nick game show host around.  Summer Sanders was perfect for Figure It Out as well.  

Lew Schneider from Make the Grade is now exec producer of Everybody Loves Raymond.  As you can see by watching him, you can tell his first choice of jobs wasn't hosting a kids show.  

I personally think Larry Toffler was an awesome host for FK.  I thought Wesley did an awful job.

Adam

Vgmastr

Best and Worst
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2004, 11:50:46 AM »
Again, Marc Summers has to be at the top of the list.  I'd place Summer Sanders as #2.  A couple of others not yet mentioned:

Jason Harris did OK on DD2K.  Summers left big shoes to fill, and Harris didn't do all that bad.  If I made a list about things wrong with DD2K, Harris wouldn't crack the top 5.  My only real complaint was that he didn't seem to care about how the families did.  When Summers hosted, he really got into the obstacle course, you could tell he was genuinely excited when a team won, particularly on a close win.  Likewise, it seemed like he felt bad when a team lost.  Harris seemed to have the same reaction no matter how the team did, "You did a great job, tell them what they've won Tiffany."

Kirk Fogg wasn't too bad on Legends, his main fault was in inability to read cue cards with any sort of flow.  During season 1, when all Olmec did was tell the legend, read the questions for the steps of knowledge, and go over the rooms of the temple, Fogg had a ton of lines.  The producers corrected this in the next two seasons by having Olmec give all the rules to everything, and Fogg seemed much more comfortable.

rugrats1

Best and Worst
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2004, 12:08:56 PM »
Kirk Fogg wasn't too bad on Legends, his main fault was in inability to read cue cards with any sort of flow. During season 1, when all Olmec did was tell the legend, read the questions for the steps of knowledge, and go over the rooms of the temple, Fogg had a ton of lines. The producers corrected this in the next two seasons by having Olmec give all the rules to everything, and Fogg seemed much more comfortable.

Of course, recording the intro once and reusing it for each episode didn't hurt, either.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Best and Worst
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2004, 12:35:07 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'May 27 2004, 06:23 AM\'] SINCE WHEN IS A SCHOOL PROJECT IN A THEME PARK?! [/quote]
 Schools in our area commonly send their bands to a theme park that's about 50 miles away.
--Mark
Phil 4:13