Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: One last Family Feud 94 question  (Read 1990 times)

adamjk

One last Family Feud 94 question
« on: May 27, 2004, 02:55:36 PM »
This may have been discussed before I just don't remember it, and if that is the case I am sorry, but why did the 94 version only have 4 family members instead of 5?

J.R.

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 03:13:54 PM »
Again, I'm just going to be professional and answer his question.

I really have no idea why. My theory is a family of four would each get a larger share of the winnings than a family of five due to the apparent slashing of the budget. Another theory is that it was just another way of "scaling back" the show (Money got smaller, set got smaller, etc except Richard got fatter)

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

dzinkin

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 04:00:24 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'May 27 2004, 03:13 PM\'] Again, I'm just going to be professional and answer his question.

I really have no idea why. My theory is a family of four would each get a larger share of the winnings than a family of five due to the apparent slashing of the budget. Another theory is that it was just another way of "scaling back" the show (Money got smaller, set got smaller, etc except Richard got fatter) [/quote]
 Frankly, it just struck me as a way to make the show different for the sake of being different, since I can't imagine having only four people per team was a big change budget-wise.  Who knows?

whewfan

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 04:39:33 PM »
Another possible reason to having only 4 family members was to give each player a chance at the faceoff, since 4 rounds were usually played per show.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 04:40:22 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'May 27 2004, 01:00 PM\'] Frankly, it just struck me as a way to make the show different for the sake of being different, since I can't imagine having only four people per team was a big change budget-wise.  Who knows? [/quote]
 My guess was always that someone thought that having four-man teams would increased the number of "nuclear" families on the show...in other words, everyone would actually have lived under the same roof at one time, instead of the traditional FF formula of Mom, Dad, Sister, Brother, and Cousin Mongo....
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Skynet74

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 05:02:10 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 27 2004, 03:40 PM\'] in other words, everyone would actually have lived under the same roof at one time, instead of the traditional FF formula of Mom, Dad, Sister, Brother, and Cousin Mongo.... [/quote]

Yeah.... but it was Counsin Mongo who usually made the family more interesting. When you take away the Mongo..... you take away the fun! ;-)

John
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 05:02:45 PM by Skynet74 »

tvwxman

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 05:06:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'May 27 2004, 04:02 PM\'] When you take away the Mongo..... you take away the fun!

[/quote]
 Yeah, tell THAT to Flash Gordon! :)
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

DrJWJustice

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 06:18:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'May 27 2004, 04:02 PM\'] Yeah.... but it was Counsin Mongo who usually made the family more interesting. When you take away the Mongo..... you take away the fun! ;-)
 [/quote]
 Mongo mistake wrong answer for fastball -- try to swing bat.  Mongo miss!

LOL.

ObGameShows -- anyone ever notice Paul Williams on The Match Game?  Doesn't he resemble Jabba the Hutt with that hairdo & big-framed glasses?

cmjb13

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 06:51:40 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'May 27 2004, 04:39 PM\'] Another possible reason to having only 4 family members was to give each player a chance at the faceoff, since 4 rounds were usually played per show. [/quote]
 I read somewhere, but I don't know how true, that since some families were brought back from the 70's version (or was it just 1 family), a family member might have passed away.

Or maybe it was to give everybody a chance to play. I can recall seeing episodes where the 5th member didn't get to play the face off.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2004, 02:50:42 AM »
Four contestants make it easier to cast families.

tommycharles

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2004, 03:31:23 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 28 2004, 01:50 AM\'] Four contestants make it easier to cast families. [/quote]
 Indeed. But why the switch back to five for the current run, then?

And would a family really be turned away because of one member?

dzinkin

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2004, 09:12:54 AM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'May 28 2004, 03:31 AM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 28 2004, 01:50 AM\'] Four contestants make it easier to cast families. [/quote]
Indeed. But why the switch back to five for the current run, then?[/quote]
Perhaps because they wanted to attract viewers of the older runs, which most would remember as having five per team?

And would a family really be turned away because of one member?
I know a few families who would be turned away because of one member. :-)