Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Longest-running TV theme  (Read 4419 times)

JCGames

Longest-running TV theme
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2004, 10:26:54 PM »
And the original theme tune of Jeopardy(the Fleming version) was "Take Ten", composed by Julann Griffin, ex-wife of Merv.

About Days of Our Lives.....It's amazing that in the 39 years that show has been on, that hourglass hasn't emptied yet!

I think the ABC animated shows on Saturday have normal credits.....Recess comes to mind.

tvrandywest

Longest-running TV theme
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2004, 10:36:05 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 7 2004, 12:14 PM\'] 1--The guitar riff that played under Don Pardo's opening ("now entering the studio are today's contestants..."), with the little flute figure as each player sat down.

2--Version one of the theme started up after "These people will compete for cash prizes today on... [supered logo art card zooms in, drum downbeat into part of theme people rememeber if they remember it at all] 'Jeopardy!'"

3--Board opening cue

4--Theme from beginning played as middle fee plug cue, ending with "we'll return to Art Fleming and the Double Jeopardy! portion of our game after this important message..."

5--Repeat board opening cue for DJ!

6--The FJ! think cue

7--Backtimed theme, usually fading in as Fleming's doing his signoff "...so join us again in the morning--have a good day!"  No matter if a long or short roll, it always ended on the fade.

And the Musicians' Union turntable operator usually cued up two audio Daily Doubles out of three from about 1968 on. [/quote]
 Well done! You have it all playing in my head. And for some of the years Pardo's intonation at your point #4 (which he told me he did in one breath:

"ThenewmajorEncyclopediaInternationalfromGrolierIncorporatedisthesourceauthorityforthepreparationofquestionsandanswersusedonJeopardy".

"We'll return to play Double Jeopardy in just a moment"   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

DjohnsonCB

Longest-running TV theme
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2004, 11:18:08 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'May 7 2004, 04:18 PM\']

All network shows on NBC, UPN & WB have split screen credits while these are the sole survivors on the other networks.

CBS:  Sumday Morning, David Letterman, Craig Kilborn, Blues Clues
 [/quote]
 For a very brief time, I had an HDTV tuner box with an antenna attached to my HD set and chanced to watch an episode of "The King Of Queens" and the end of an "Everybody Loves Raymond" ep on UHF Channel 45 which is what Omaha's KMTV-3 uses for its OTA HD signal.  Both shows ended with the full credits in HD, whereas the analog version in 4.3 retained the split screen credits.  It happens on ABC in HD quite a bit as well.

I had to switch to digital cable with the HD tier shortly thereafter in order to avoid the freeze-ups and fades I was getting on the NBC station (and to get GSN as well), but had to sacrifice CBS in HD because of the impasse KMTV and Cox Cable are at regarding retransmission fees.  For the time being it doesn't matter, as Letterman and Craiggers are about the only CBS shows I watch on a regular basis, and they're not in HD yet.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

familyfeudfan

Longest-running TV theme
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2004, 12:25:12 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'May 7 2004, 02:17 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'May 7 2004, 01:49 PM\'] [quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'May 7 2004, 11:14 AM\']I think I'm pretty safe in saying that TPIR's theme is the longest-running in game show history without any type of remake, remix, etc. (otherwise, J! would take the cake).[/quote]
No, it wouldn't. 1972-present is longer than 1984-present, or at least it was last time I checked.
 [/quote]
Hasn't J!'s theme been redone at least once since they restarted the franchise in 1984?  While the tune is still the same, the mix clearly isn't.

Doug -- soon to celebrate 500 posts [/quote]
yes, several times.

Craig Karlberg

Longest-running TV theme
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2004, 03:53:48 AM »
I think the Bongo theme started in 1991 or thereabouts was the first J! theme change.  Then around 1996 or 1997, they worked a new opening to the theme.  By 2003, it was reworked again.  That's al least 3 changes to the J! theme I know of.

GSWitch

Longest-running TV theme
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2004, 09:46:28 AM »
[quote name=\'JCGames\' date=\'May 7 2004, 08:26 PM\'] I think the ABC animated shows on Saturday have normal credits.....Recess comes to mind. [/quote]
 You are wrong!  All ABC animated shows (Lilo & Stitch, Fillmore, Recess, Proud Family & Kim Possible) have switch to split screen credits starting in 2004.

trainman

Longest-running TV theme
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2004, 09:51:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'May 7 2004, 12:08 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 7 2004, 01:38 PM\'] I was thinking maybe "Days of Our Lives," but I haven't seen it in ages.  Is MacDonald Carey still in the opening? [/quote]
Mac's voice is still heard during the open, but the part where he identifies himself ("This is Macdonald Carey and these are the days of our lives") was removed when he died in 1994. The opening music was remixed in 1993 when they began showing a turning hourglass. [/quote]
 And the "DOOL" opening music will be remixed again as of May 24, apparently to mark the bizarre plot twist that has sprung from the brain of head writer James E. Reilly.  Still the same hourglass animation, still Macdonald Carey.
trainman is a man of trains

davemackey

Longest-running TV theme
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2004, 10:27:50 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'May 7 2004, 05:18 PM\'] All network shows on NBC, UPN & WB have split screen credits while these are the sole survivors on the other networks.
 [/quote]
 AFAIK, "Saturday Night Live" is still full-screen credits.

johnnya2k3

Longest-running TV theme
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2004, 03:13:25 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'May 15 2004, 06:27 PM\'] [quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'May 7 2004, 05:18 PM\'] All network shows on NBC, UPN & WB have split screen credits while these are the sole survivors on the other networks.
 [/quote]
AFAIK, "Saturday Night Live" is still full-screen credits. [/quote]
Simply because Lorne Michaels knows the power of reruns.

But UPN and WB shows do have full credits on their secondary feeds; it's the other way around though for UPN (the production company logo followed by the credits).

And live specials on ABC (Academy Awards, Miss America pageant, American Music Awards, Primetime Emmys) and Fox (Billboard Awards, Primetime Emmys) also don't go to split-screen credit mode as well.

Jonathan Allen
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 03:13:53 PM by johnnya2k3 »

GS Warehouse

Longest-running TV theme
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2004, 07:22:06 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'May 16 2004, 03:13 PM\'] [quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'May 15 2004, 06:27 PM\'] AFAIK, "Saturday Night Live" is still full-screen credits. [/quote]
Simply because Lorne Michaels knows the power of reruns.

But UPN and WB shows do have full credits on their secondary feeds; it's the other way around though for UPN (the production company logo followed by the credits).

And live specials on ABC (Academy Awards, Miss America pageant, American Music Awards, Primetime Emmys) and Fox (Billboard Awards, Primetime Emmys) also don't go to split-screen credit mode as well.

Jonathan Allen [/quote]
 In terms of series, live editions of American Idol have full-screen credits, but pre-recorded shows (like preliminary auditions and specials) have split-screen credits.  The last instance of full-screen credits I've seen on a scripted series was the episode of 8 Simple Rules that addressed John Ritter's death (kudos to ABC for that).  BTW, I just got the first season of Survivor on DVD and the credits are split-screen, but in the show's typeface.  CBS replaced them with their generic roll when they aired it in 2000.

One other credit-on-competition-show note: When CNBC repurposed the finale of The Apprentice, they left in NBC's complete generic roll, with commercials over the NBC promos.

mystery7

Longest-running TV theme
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2004, 08:37:53 PM »
Way late to the party here...I just got called out of the audience to play. Anyway, going back a few posts, a note about Price's theme:

I'm pretty sure the pitch change was not a result of a remix so much as a redub at the proper speed. If any of you have shows from the late '70s (especially 1979), you'll notice the theme played as much as a whole note lower than it does now. Match Game had the same problem all through its run. It NEVER ran at full speed. A few years after "music supervisor" Michael Malone left, the problem went away and things started to sound good. In fact, from about 1986-1989 or so, some themes played just a little bit fast. Comapre a 1985 episode of Pyramid to one from 1987 to hear a good example of the difference.

And yes, I agree Price's theme is the longest running original theme. Yay to Score Productions!