Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interesting Barker interview @ CBS.com  (Read 3210 times)

cmjb13

Interesting Barker interview @ CBS.com
« on: May 29, 2004, 07:46:50 PM »
A video interview with Barker.

http://www.cbs.com/daytime/price/about/justin/

Very interesting response on why he thinks Rich Fields was chosen.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tyshaun1

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 10:47:07 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'May 29 2004, 06:46 PM\'] A video interview with Barker.

Very interesting response on why he thinks Rich Fields was chosen. [/quote]
 Seems they were going for more than just a good voice. It makes ya wonder if they may have bigger plans for Rich than just announcing in the future.....

Tyshaun

cmjb13

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 06:24:21 AM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'May 29 2004, 10:47 PM\'][quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'May 29 2004, 06:46 PM\'] A video interview with Barker.

Seems they were going for more than just a good voice. It makes ya wonder if they may have bigger plans for Rich than just announcing in the future.....

Tyshaun[/quote]
Actually it was the comment that he's well-dressed, represents the show well because he's the first person the audience sees when entering the studio.

Well-dressed as compared to flashy jackets?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tyshaun1

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2004, 10:38:29 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'May 30 2004, 05:24 AM\'] [quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'May 29 2004, 10:47 PM\'][quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'May 29 2004, 06:46 PM\'] A video interview with Barker.

Tyshaun[/quote]
Actually it was the comment that he's well-dressed, represents the show well because he's the first person the audience sees when entering the studio.

Well-dressed as compared to flashy jackets? [/quote]
 I would take that as to meaning Bob doesn't want someone to take the attention away from himself (which I believe is true). Pretty much every show, spoof or contest based on TPIR will include an announcer dressed in a flashy jacket. But it's still interesting to hear him say he wanted someone good looking and clean cut; I remember reading a while back that Bob didn't like Bob Hilton (the show's first choice to replace Johnny O., for the few who don't know) due to his handsomeness, and could steal some attention away from him, IIRC.  

Tyshaun

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2004, 11:28:38 AM »
Maybe with both Bobs on the same show, people would become confused and think they were watching "Truth or Consequences."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

cmjb13

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2004, 12:19:07 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'May 30 2004, 10:38 AM\'] Pretty much every show, spoof or contest based on TPIR will include an announcer dressed in a flashy jacket.[/quote]
I guess I was reading between the lines too much. I thought it might have been a knock on Rod.

I remember reading a while back that Bob didn't like Bob Hilton (the show's first choice to replace Johnny O., for the few who don't know) due to his handsomeness, and could steal some attention away from him
Since Rich probably won't be on camera from this point on, looks shouldn't matter.

ChuckNet

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2004, 12:47:02 PM »
I remember reading a while back that Bob didn't like Bob Hilton (the show's first choice to replace Johnny O., for the few who don't know) due to his handsomeness, and could steal some attention away from him, IIRC.

Hilton's explanation was a lack of chemistry between himself and Barker (which is vital for any TPiR announcer), but who knows...

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 12:47:11 PM by ChuckNet »

tyshaun1

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2004, 08:36:13 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'May 30 2004, 11:19 AM\'] [quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'May 30 2004, 10:38 AM\'] Pretty much every show, spoof or contest based on TPIR will include an announcer dressed in a flashy jacket.[/quote]
I guess I was reading between the lines too much. I thought it might have been a knock on Rod.

I remember reading a while back that Bob didn't like Bob Hilton (the show's first choice to replace Johnny O., for the few who don't know) due to his handsomeness, and could steal some attention away from him
Since Rich probably won't be on camera from this point on, looks shouldn't matter. [/quote]
 Actually, Rich has been on camera twice, once reading the make of a car, and for his "fan club", where IIRC, Bob didn't seem too thrilled about the situation(and no, I don't think it was all in jest).

Tyshaun

cmjb13

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2004, 08:39:16 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'May 30 2004, 08:36 PM\']Actually, Rich has been on camera twice, once reading the make of a car, and for his "fan club", where IIRC, Bob didn't seem too thrilled about the situation(and no, I don't think it was all in jest).[/quote]
I don't recall the former, and the latter didn't air here due to the 9/11 hearings.

whewfan

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2004, 09:15:08 PM »
Another bit of evidence that he's focusing the show more on himself...

The recent MDS had TWO guest speakers, both whom had very similar comments to say about Bob Barker.

Yes, Bob Barker does deserve to be acknowledged for 47 continuous years of entertaining America, but don't you get the feeling he likes this praise a little TOO much?!

JayC

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2004, 09:31:17 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'May 30 2004, 07:36 PM\'] Actually, Rich has been on camera twice, once reading the make of a car, and for his "fan club", where IIRC, Bob didn't seem too thrilled about the situation(and no, I don't think it was all in jest).
 [/quote]
 I don't remember the moment when he read the make of a car, what episode was it?  I only remember Rich being on camera when he was announced as a permanant announcer, and for his fan club.

uncamark

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2004, 04:52:48 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'May 30 2004, 08:15 PM\']Another bit of evidence that he's focusing the show more on himself...

The recent MDS had TWO guest speakers, both whom had very similar comments to say about Bob Barker.

Yes, Bob Barker does deserve to be acknowledged for 47 continuous years of entertaining America, but don't you get the feeling he likes this praise a little TOO much?![/quote]
Is the Pope Catholic?

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2004, 07:03:04 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'May 30 2004, 09:31 PM\'] [quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'May 30 2004, 07:36 PM\'] Actually, Rich has been on camera twice, once reading the make of a car, and for his "fan club", where IIRC, Bob didn't seem too thrilled about the situation(and no, I don't think it was all in jest).
 [/quote]
I don't remember the moment when he read the make of a car. [/quote]
 That's because it didn't happen.

comeondown

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2004, 12:09:27 AM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'May 30 2004, 08:31 PM\'][quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'May 30 2004, 07:36 PM\']  Bob didn't seem too thrilled about the situation(and no, I don't think it was all in jest).
 [/quote]
I only remember Rich being on camera when he was announced as a permanant announcer, and for his fan club.[/quote]
Oh Come on....Bob was playing it, and I really doubt that he cares that Rich was on the camera...jeez he's 80....he is fortunate to be on camera...You people think that he is a cold-hearted person. I really doubt it.

And by the way, if you were on television that long without interruption...you DESERVE praise....too many times people die before they are really recognized...why shouldn't bob live it up....it's doubtful he has another 20 years, or even 10. Go Bob!

---

Correct, he was only on twice.

tyshaun1

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2004, 11:05:42 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Jun 1 2004, 06:03 PM\'] [quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'May 30 2004, 09:31 PM\'] [quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'May 30 2004, 07:36 PM\'] Actually, Rich has been on camera twice, once reading the make of a car, and for his "fan club", where IIRC, Bob didn't seem too thrilled about the situation(and no, I don't think it was all in jest).
 [/quote]
I don't remember the moment when he read the make of a car. [/quote]
That's because it didn't happen. [/quote]
 Do you guys think I would make something like this up? I could swear that they showed him on camera when Bob asked for a make of a car.

Tyshaun