Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Leave The Format Alone  (Read 6316 times)

ChuckNet

Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2004, 11:33:41 AM »
I can only tell you that when the syndicated $ale premiered, only two markets in Michigan cleared it, both in prime access, Channel 7 in Detroit and Channel 8 in Grand Rapids. By March 85, 7 moved it to post-midnight and dropped it in the fall. Channel 8 kept it in prime access for the entire syndicated run. By that we can determine the ratings were bad in Detroit and good in Grand Rapids.

Here in NY, the syndie $otC aired in WOR (Ch. 9) at 8:30 PM its first season, which often led to frequent pre-emptions for Mets games by the time spring rolled around...it was moved to 4 PM on WABC (Ch. 7) for the 2nd season, where the competition wasn't too strong...opposite $otC, WCBS (Ch. 2) aired the first half of the season's biggest syndie flop, America, and I think WNBC (Ch. 4) was still running Love Connection at 4.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

whewfan

Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2004, 12:22:32 PM »
Just thought of another one.... TJW 90, but in their case, it improved the show... somewhat.

The first TJW 90 format had paltry dollar figures between 5-50 spinning on the wheels, and that determined the value of each question. On the third wheel was a joker, which tripled the value of the spin. It also gave that spinner a chance to answer a series of definitions in 30 seconds (I think) unopposed. Instead of questions, TJW 90 was a "game of definitions". Basically, the game played out like the "fast forward" format, with no money lost on an incorrect answer.

Unfortunately, this format proved to be alienating for fans of the original TJW. There were 3 players instead of 2. The excitement of getting 3 jokers was gone, and what's so exciting about watching small amounts of money being spun on the wheels? Also pointless was the "opponent's choice" category where the opponent chose the category for the player, and spinning it also meant less money per question.

A little too late, they made some changes. Now, there were categories on the wheels, and 3 jokers. Unfortunately, they kept the definitions. However, they made the 3 player round last until someone scored 1000 instead of 500.

The Dating Game 97 underwent similar "going back to what worked and keeping some new elements" as well.

The first Dating Game format allowed the bachelor to actually SEE the three bachelorettes, but their identity was still kept secret. Instead of asking questions, the bachelor was shown up to 9 different statements, and the bachelor picked the statement he wanted to hear more about (For example "I like to party at Chuck E Cheeses")

Later in the run, they decided to have an entire week where they reverted back to the old Dating Game, not allowing the bachelor to see any of the bachelorettes, and decorating the set with daisies, but keeping the 9 statement format. They later made this change permanent.

To my knowledge, they never did this on Newlywed Game 97, which had 3 couples and 3 entirely different rounds, only one which resembled the old Newlywed Game.

WhammyPower

Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2004, 12:59:03 PM »
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Pyramid (Clark era).  The Osmond version has a lot more ties, and the bonus round categories are awful.

Matt Ottinger

Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2004, 04:18:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 1 2004, 10:05 AM\'] I can only tell you that when the syndicated $ale premiered, only two markets in Michigan cleared it, both in prime access, Channel 7 in Detroit and Channel 8 in Grand Rapids.  By March 85, 7 moved it to post-midnight and dropped it in the fall.  Channel 8 kept it in prime access for the entire syndicated run. By that we can determine the ratings were bad in Detroit and good in Grand Rapids. [/quote]
 I'm pretty sure that WSYM-47 in Lansing carried the entire syndicated run.  I'm certain they carried part of it, or else I wouldn't have been able to see my own appearance!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2004, 04:29:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jun 1 2004, 03:47 AM\'][quote name=\'cyberjoek\' date=\'Jun 1 2004, 12:30 AM\'] Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiago's change to Where In Time was it's big downfall in my book.  It's a prime example :-)
-Joe Kavanagh [/quote]
Yeah, switching from a geographical orientation to a historical one is asking for trouble there.  I remember both shows.  I prefer the geography one MUCH better.[/quote]
The reasoning behind the switch, outside of the fact that history is always history and not going to change between tape date and first airing (not to mention reruns), was to do something with another computer game in the Carmen Sandiego series.  Of course, "Where in the World..." *was* the original and most successful Carmen Sandiego game--and there's usually a reason the original is the most successful.  WGBH/WQED should've known that.

rigsby

Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2004, 04:30:28 PM »
[quote name=\'RMF\' date=\'Jun 1 2004, 09:53 AM\']Never, Ever, EVER add celebrities to a non-celebrity game.

It never increases the ratings, nor does it improve the game any.[/quote]
Not even as a special event?  If memory serves, ABC got pretty good ratings for the first series of Celebrity Millionaire...it was just that they extrapolated those ratings to mean that they ought to put celebs on it all the time.

(I will, however, heartily agree with you that the gameplay sure didn't improve.)

Jimmy Owen

Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2004, 04:33:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jun 1 2004, 03:18 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 1 2004, 10:05 AM\'] I can only tell you that when the syndicated $ale premiered, only two markets in Michigan cleared it, both in prime access, Channel 7 in Detroit and Channel 8 in Grand Rapids.  By March 85, 7 moved it to post-midnight and dropped it in the fall.  Channel 8 kept it in prime access for the entire syndicated run. By that we can determine the ratings were bad in Detroit and good in Grand Rapids. [/quote]
I'm pretty sure that WSYM-47 in Lansing carried the entire syndicated run.  I'm certain they carried part of it, or else I wouldn't have been able to see my own appearance! [/quote]
 I forgot about Channel 47, you swinger, you.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

JMFabiano

Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2004, 05:24:06 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jun 1 2004, 09:17 AM\'] [quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'May 31 2004, 10:54 PM\'] What game shows can you think of which, if not tampered with, might in your opinion have had a longer life on the air?
Two that immediately spring to my mind are Jackpot and Play The Percentages.
Please try to limit your list to two or three. Thank you and welcome to June 2004(almost). [/quote]
At the risk of sounding like certain lobsters, you could make a case that HOT POTATO could've stayed around if they hadn't resorted to celebrities comprising two-thirds of the teams (doing so put an end to the Seven Straight Jackpot bonus, not to mention the entire weeks of celebrities that completely screwed up any flow of the game).

Doug -- and the countdown to 500 continues [/quote]
 No, no, no, it would have been better if they changed the format to Bill Cullen tossing a potato at contestants.  At least tat wood be a funi ;-) ;-) ;-)
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

JMFabiano

Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2004, 05:28:02 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' date=\'Jun 1 2004, 11:59 AM\'] I'm surprised nobody mentioned Pyramid (Clark era).  The Osmond version has a lot more ties, and the bonus round categories are awful. [/quote]
The basic gameplay was the same, but yes I agree.  Too soulless, annoying changes, and the judging monkeys of course.  *Davidson* $100K was better (yes I hear you all chanting "TRILON NOT MONITOR!" at me, but really, besides the host and the new bonuses later on, it was pretty much the same)

Edited in....how about Bullseye on Family Feud?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 05:30:38 PM by JMFabiano »
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

RMF

Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2004, 05:47:28 PM »
[quote name=\'rigsby\' date=\'Jun 1 2004, 03:30 PM\'] [quote name=\'RMF\' date=\'Jun 1 2004, 09:53 AM\']Never, Ever, EVER add celebrities to a non-celebrity game.

It never increases the ratings, nor does it improve the game any.[/quote]
Not even as a special event?  If memory serves, ABC got pretty good ratings for the first series of Celebrity Millionaire...it was just that they extrapolated those ratings to mean that they ought to put celebs on it all the time.

(I will, however, heartily agree with you that the gameplay sure didn't improve.) [/quote]
 The OP was asking for permanent changes, not one-offs.

rigsby

Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2004, 06:01:50 PM »
[quote name=\'RMF\' date=\'Jun 1 2004, 04:47 PM\'] The OP was asking for permanent changes, not one-offs. [/quote]
 I am quite aware of what the original post was saying...I, howver, was addressing the "never, ever, EVER" portion of the post I quoted.  Thanks for playing.

And as I pointed out, Celebrity Millionaire was not a one-off anyway, thanks to the powers that were at ABC at the time.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2004, 06:25:00 PM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Jun 1 2004, 02:28 PM\'] *Davidson* $100K was better (yes I hear you all chanting "TRILON NOT MONITOR!" at me
 [/quote]
Not I. You're dead right. Davidson was and is a talentless hack, but the essence of the game is there. You keep that, and I could care less if they used pull-cards. That very same essence was utterly squashed by the contemporary Pyramid producers.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 06:25:26 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2004, 06:49:04 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jun 1 2004, 10:33 AM\']

Here in NY, the syndie $otC aired in WOR (Ch. 9) at 8:30 PM its first season, which often led to frequent pre-emptions for Mets games by the time spring rolled around...it was moved to 4 PM on WABC (Ch. 7) for the 2nd season, where the competition wasn't too strong...opposite $otC, WCBS (Ch. 2) aired the first half of the season's biggest syndie flop, America, and I think WNBC (Ch. 4) was still running Love Connection at 4.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 WWOR had Syndie $otC on at 7PM for part of the Summer in 1985. WABC aired it at 4:30PM from September 1985-September 1986, right after J!.

That Don Guy

Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2004, 10:15:44 PM »
[quote name=\'RMF\' date=\'Jun 1 2004, 09:53 AM\'] My selection:

Never, Ever, EVER add celebrities to a non-celebrity game.

It never increases the ratings, nor does it improve the game any. [/quote]
Not even Baffle?  Then again, it was probably the end game change (instead of 5 words in 30 seconds, each earning $50 plus 3 seconds for a sixth, harder word for a car, it was 9 words in 30 seconds for $5000, a car, and a trip (or just the car for 8 out of 9)) that made it better.

-- Don

TrplPlayRD

Leave The Format Alone
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2004, 04:09:00 AM »
The Challengers did make quite a bit of changes during their one season run.