Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best & Worst #3  (Read 4024 times)

zachhoran

Best & Worst #3
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2004, 12:17:41 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jun 2 2004, 11:06 AM\'] [
..........I just remembered that USA *did* can $ale for Quicksilver, and I remember how pissed I was. Hmmm...my fondness for Quicksilver just diminished greatly. ;-) [/quote]
 USA canned TTD90 and TJW90 reruns to make room for Quicksilver and Free 4 All. $otC and one of the two Scrabble airings were canned a month later to make room for non-game show programming.

uncamark

Best & Worst #3
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2004, 12:30:25 PM »
None of them were anything to write home about, but at least "Bumper Stumpers" had a good premise that just need better production and a more consistent end game (that didn't have any B&E beat-the-bad-guy elements).

If only Terry McConnell had sold "Quicksilver" to Merv while he was working on "J!" instead of S-S (and if there was a market for game shows in the 90s)...

Worst?  No one's bashed "The Big Date" yet, so I will.  Notice that Marky Mark L. never mentions that dog in interviews.

JamesVipond

Best & Worst #3
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2004, 12:34:15 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jun 1 2004, 09:29 PM\']Strip Poker was a fun little guilty pleasure of mine. >:-)[/quote]
I also enjoyed it. I recently put up my page from Fortune City:
Unofficial Strip Poker page

It wasn't USA's best game, nor one of its worst, but it would have helped to display the contestants' names on the wall near the scoreboards. If only the show had been done like Finland's version!
"He has big eyes ... and they're BLUE!"

-- a boy describing Bill Cullen on Child's Play

goongas

Best & Worst #3
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2004, 12:40:40 PM »
I had read Jellyvision was going to make a computer game of Smush, but they never did.

TrplPlayRD

Best & Worst #3
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2004, 03:46:06 AM »
Best: Jakpot, (The New)($40,000) Chain Reaction, Strip Poker, Smush

Worst: Quicksilver, Free 4 All, The Big Date, USA Gonzo Games, Bumper Stumpers

Winkfan

Best & Worst #3
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2004, 01:37:16 AM »
I forgot about Strip Poker; that show should also be my choice for WORST USA 'original.' I'm surprised some of you considered it among the BEST USA shows. It kind of reminded me of The $1.98 Beauty Show, minus 'El Rippo.'

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Carol Wayne of the Big Board!'
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024)

BrandonFG

Best & Worst #3
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2004, 01:48:27 AM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Jun 5 2004, 12:37 AM\'] I forgot about Strip Poker; that show should also be my choice for WORST USA 'original.' I'm surprised some of you considered it among the BEST USA shows. It kind of reminded me of The $1.98 Beauty Show, minus 'El Rippo.'
 [/quote]
 Nah, it's not that it was the best, but like I said, it was a guilty pleasure. A fun little game show that didn't take itself too seriously, the perfect thing to watch at 2 in the morning, when nothing else is on. I wouldn't include it on my list of Top 10 favorite game shows or anything, unless of course it was the Top 10 guilty pleasures. :-)

Then again, the scantily-clad females had a tad bit to do with it. ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Don Howard

Best & Worst #3
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2004, 01:14:56 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 2 2004, 11:17 AM\'] USA canned TTD90 and TJW90 reruns to make room for Quicksilver and Free 4 All. $otC and one of the two Scrabble airings were canned a month later to make room for non-game show programming. [/quote]
 So true, Zacheroo.
However!
From TV GUIDE Friday, July 29, 1994:
USA 3:30pm ET SALE OF THE CENTURY
From TV GUIDE Monday, August 1, 1994:
USA 3:30pm ET QUICKSILVER
Quicksilver had been running for a month in the 5pm time period
later taken by Quantum Leap, but for it to continue, $OTC was sacrificed.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
Best & Worst #3
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2004, 04:03:41 AM »
My favorites were Jackpot, Bumper Stumpers, and Smush...and they were damn good...

...the worst were the 1994 bombs, Quicksilver and Free-For-All.

I didn't add Chain Reaction to the list because I haven't seen the Edwards/Emmons editions.