Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rich Fields back on camera!  (Read 3402 times)

TV Favorites

Rich Fields back on camera!
« on: June 02, 2004, 12:47:00 PM »
It has been reported on Golden-Road.net that effective this Friday, June 4, Rich Fields will be shown on camera regularly at the end of TPiR following the showcases.  Hopefully, this trend will last and eventually Rich will be shown occasionally announcing contestants to "Come on Down!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 02:50:57 PM »
[quote name=\'TV Favorites\' date=\'Jun 2 2004, 11:47 AM\'] It has been reported on Golden-Road.net that effective this Friday, June 4, Rich Fields will be shown on camera regularly at the end of TPiR following the showcases.  Hopefully, this trend will last and eventually Rich will be shown occasionally announcing contestants to "Come on Down!" [/quote]
 I'm guessing they're doing this to get viewers familiar with the new announcer?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 04:37:27 PM »
I'm guessing they're doing this to get viewers familiar with the new announcer?
I'm guessing they're doing this to get viewers familiar with the new emcee.

whewfan

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 05:12:16 PM »
I don't think the speculation of preparing Rich to eventually host TPIR is a valid one.

Rich is a weatherman with a great voice... but how does that qualify for him to take on a job that Bob has kept warm for 32 years and still going?! I'm not saying he COULDN'T, but I don't think they had in mind for him to eventually replace Bob!
Besides, they'd have to audition new announcers AGAIN if that was the case.

I think Bob just realizes that people LIKE Rich Fields and he's responding to people that say "we want to see Rich!" Bob almost always gives the viewers what they want. When people wrote him saying "Don't have ladies reach into your pocket anymore for money", he did stop doing so. (and this was BEFORE the Dian Parkinson debacle) Viewers also expressed interest in Rod's progress as he was losing weight, and he made a point to ask Rod how he was doing.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 05:21:25 PM »

www.tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 05:22:19 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

dzinkin

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 05:24:08 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jun 2 2004, 05:21 PM\']

www.tvrandywest.com

Think about it. [/quote]
 There you go thinking logically again.  Sigh... ;-)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 06:14:21 PM »
Rich is a weatherman with a great voice...
So was Pat Sajak.

but how does that qualify for him to take on a job that Bob has kept warm for 32 years and still going?! I'm not saying he COULDN'T, but I don't think they had in mind for him to eventually replace Bob!
You have someone else in mind? Think Bob's not going to hang it up or keel over some day?

Why? Randy is just a phone call away.

whewfan

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 07:02:22 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jun 2 2004, 05:14 PM\'] You have someone else in mind? Think Bob's not going to hang it up or keel over [/quote]
 As I said, I am not saying Rich COULDN'T do the job.  Maybe he'd do fine. I just don't know if it's a good idea to get someone that  (to my knowledge) does not have previous experience with audience participation. Bob already had about 16 years experience doing audience participation with Truth or Consequences when TPIR debuted in '72.  You can't just throw in someone and expect him to do well (case in point, Doug Davidson)

As for my list of possible candidates .... Todd Newton, whom got rave reviews as host of TPIR Live in Vegas. Marc Summers hosted What Would You Do?, which is very much like Truth or Consequences, and he was a writer for Barker's Truth or Consequences.

Of course, announcers have filled in for hosts before. Art James filled in for Hugh Downs, and Bob Clayton, who was the second Concentration announcer, eventually got the nod as the host to replace Hugh.

MaryM7643

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2004, 07:56:51 PM »
[quote name=\'TV Favorites\' date=\'Jun 2 2004, 11:47 AM\']It has been reported on Golden-Road.net that effective this Friday, June 4, Rich Fields will be shown on camera regularly at the end of TPiR following the showcases.  [/quote]
Since Rich will be on camera at the end, does that mean the Mark Goodson Television Production announcement he makes will be pre-recorded?

tyshaun1

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2004, 11:00:09 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jun 2 2004, 06:02 PM\'] [quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jun 2 2004, 05:14 PM\'] You have someone else in mind? Think Bob's not going to hang it up or keel over [/quote]
As I said, I am not saying Rich COULDN'T do the job.  Maybe he'd do fine. I just don't know if it's a good idea to get someone that  (to my knowledge) does not have previous experience with audience participation. Bob already had about 16 years experience doing audience participation with Truth or Consequences when TPIR debuted in '72.  You can't just throw in someone and expect him to do well (case in point, Doug Davidson)

As for my list of possible candidates .... Todd Newton, whom got rave reviews as host of TPIR Live in Vegas. Marc Summers hosted What Would You Do?, which is very much like Truth or Consequences, and he was a writer for Barker's Truth or Consequences.

Of course, announcers have filled in for hosts before. Art James filled in for Hugh Downs, and Bob Clayton, who was the second Concentration announcer, eventually got the nod as the host to replace Hugh. [/quote]
 Rich does have some hosting experience as a sub host for Flamingo Fortune (which is as close to audience participation as it gets, since contestants are picked by lottery drawings), plus there's almost no better way to gain experience to host TPIR than by watching Barker do it everyday. So what Chris says does makes sense, but hey, when you've downed a couple of beers, lots of things begin to make sense. :-)

Tyshaun

dazztardly

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2004, 01:48:08 AM »
I'm looking foward to seeing Rich on camera next month. I think people are getting use to his voice enough, that's it time to show him on camera like they did with Rod and Johnny.

I know Geoff Edwards said on Radio Tonight back in 2000 when Bob is no longer with TPiR, he said the show would stop. My personal opinion. If they do decide to keep the show going, I think they're gonna have Todd Newton as the new host. He'd fit the bill perfectly. Plus his employment with TPiR Live! and his former gig at Whammy!...with both being Fremantle properties, that would help him get over big time for the position.

TV Favorites

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2004, 09:58:33 AM »
Plus his employment with TPiR Live! and his former gig at Whammy!...with both being Fremantle properties, that would help him get over big time for the position.

A lot of people thought that Burton Richardson would be the permanent TPiR announcer because he had experience in the roll and worked on other Fremantle properties (Family Feud).  While Todd may be hired, I think it would be more for his performance and not because he already worked with the company.  Rich Fields didn't.

cmjb13

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2004, 11:29:52 AM »
[quote name=\'TV Favorites\' date=\'Jun 3 2004, 09:58 AM\']
Plus his employment with TPiR Live! and his former gig at Whammy!...with both being Fremantle properties, that would help him get over big time for the position.

A lot of people thought that Burton Richardson would be the permanent TPiR announcer because he had experience in the roll and worked on other Fremantle properties (Family Feud).  While Todd may be hired, I think it would be more for his performance and not because he already worked with the company.  Rich Fields didn't. [/quote]
 I thought Burton was a shoe-in. When I first heard he would be subbing I thought he would be terrible.

But he impressed me with his warmup (basic, but effective) and at the time, it was a nice change to hear somebody different.

But the more he announced, the more I kind of soured on him.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

bclark71

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2004, 04:03:40 PM »
dazztardly wrote:

I know Geoff Edwards said on Radio Tonight back in 2000 when Bob is no longer with TPiR, he said the show would stop. My personal opinion. If they do decide to keep the show going, I think they're gonna have Todd Newton as the new host.

I am of the belief that when Bob retires/passes away/marries Dian and moves to the south of France that, if The Price Is Right still turns a decent profit for Freemantle and CBS, another host will be chosen and the show will continue.

Speculation as to who that host will be has been beaten to death, but remember that whether or not to continue TPiR will be strictly a business decision and will not be made out of loyalty to Bob Barker.

mystery7

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2004, 08:51:14 PM »
I think the really important question in all this is, "Once Rich starts getting camera time, will he start wearing shiny suits from Thailand?"