Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Some Questions About This Week on "H2"  (Read 2944 times)

uncamark

Some Questions About This Week on "H2"
« on: June 02, 2004, 12:51:15 PM »
So far, I'm enjoying "H2"'s fond farewell this week with the staffers getting their moment in the sun.  But I'm wondering:

Did Tara Gentile's sister get to see a tape of the show before she passed on at the end of April?

And I realize that it may be very difficult, especially with two shows already aired, but I am curious about having names with the faces we saw in the bumpers and during the credits.

Congrats to everyone at KW who worked on "H2" for six great years and may you all be working elsewhere real soon.  (Bergeron and the TV City techs already have work.)

cmjb13

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 01:05:39 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jun 2 2004, 12:51 PM\']So far, I'm enjoying "H2"'s fond farewell this week with the staffers getting their moment in the sun.  But I'm wondering:

Did Tara Gentile's sister get to see a tape of the show before she passed on at the end of April?

And I realize that it may be very difficult, especially with two shows already aired, but I am curious about having names with the faces we saw in the bumpers and during the credits.

Congrats to everyone at KW who worked on "H2" for six great years and may you all be working elsewhere real soon.  (Bergeron and the TV City techs already have work.)[/quote]
One seemed to be Robin Gurney who works wardrobe on Price. At least it looked like her.

One I can confirm was Karen Winchell during yesterday's show. She's the Guest Relations Manager for CBS and one very sweet lady.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

bricon

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 01:41:13 PM »

I am told she did.

One seemed to be Robin Gurney who works wardrobe on Price. At least it looked like her.

Robin filled in on some Friday tapings, when our regular wardrobe staff had conflicts with other shows.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 01:42:18 PM by bricon »

weaklink75

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 02:50:54 PM »
And speaking of this week, why are the keys on the keyboard covered with some sort of sticker? My guess is since the staff are around the keys so much, they could tell by sight which key is the correct one, so they had to cover the keys to make sure it was a pure guess.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 04:32:01 PM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' date=\'Jun 2 2004, 02:50 PM\'] My guess is since the staff are around the keys so much, they could tell by sight which key is the correct one, so they had to cover the keys to make sure it was a pure guess. [/quote]
 Bingo. 'bricon' pointed that out when I got to see a couple of the shows, and that's exactly the reason.  Not necessarily everybody on the staff would know, of course, but enough for them to take that simple precaution.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 05:32:20 AM »
The way I see it, the finnanciers on the show were thinking "Hmm. we still have about $60K+ kicking around our vaults.  Why not blow it all in one final week of shows featuring its staff".  Maybe that's why that safe's been cracked 3 straight times already & is ready for 2 more cracks.

H2, it's been nice bluffing you for 6 long years.
RIP 1998-2004.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 05:33:18 AM by Craig Karlberg »

davemackey

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2004, 05:02:35 PM »
The gentleman who went by the name of "Growler" on Wednesday's show is in reality cameraman Greg Grouwinkel, who is also a surfer. (I guess it's like Moondoggie, because no one would ever call him by his real name either.)

My theory as to why the keys are covered up this week: they're all the same key?

bricon

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2004, 06:15:30 PM »
My theory as to why the keys are covered up this week: they're all the same key?

No, they are the same set of nine keys, with only one opening the safe.  It was done as a precaution for some of our staffers, namely our art director, who might know the correct key on sight.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2004, 06:22:49 PM »
Dave, read 3 posts up.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2004, 07:29:07 PM »
>> And I realize that it may be very difficult, especially with two shows already aired, but I am curious about having names with the faces we saw in the bumpers and during the credits.
Me too. I only recognized a scant few:

In the control room: I believe Chris Darley was the older-looking guy with the glasses.
Audio guy: Chris Maddalone? [does he do H2?]
They also showed veteran CBS video tech Al Latter on today's show during [IIRC] the second commercial bumper.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 07:30:23 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

bricon

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2004, 09:42:27 PM »
In the control room: I believe Chris Darley was the older-looking guy with the glasses.

Correct, with associate director Greg Schowengerdt.

Audio guy: Chris Maddalone? [does he do H2?]

The audio mixer is Otto Svoboda.

zachhoran

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2004, 09:50:46 PM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Jun 3 2004, 08:42 PM\']

Correct, with associate director Greg Schowengerdt.

[/quote]
 Greg S. was a contestant on PYL in Summer 1985, wasn't he Brian? GSN reran his appearance a few weeks ago.

I wonder why Brian Conn wasn't chosen to represent the show as a contestant this week? Was it chosen at random, did they have the people take qualifying tests beforehand to see who would compete?

bricon

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2004, 01:29:45 AM »
Greg S. was a contestant on PYL in Summer 1985, wasn't he Brian? GSN reran his appearance a few weeks ago.

I wasn't aware of that.  I'll have to ask him.

I wonder why Brian Conn wasn't chosen to represent the show as a contestant this week? Was it chosen at random, did they have the people take qualifying tests beforehand to see who would compete?

There was a sign up sheet for any/all staffers interested.  The people were chosen at random, and the matches were paired up in several instances (Fern vs. Robert, for example).  I was initially very interested in playing, but when I found out the players would be sequestered upstairs just like the regular contestants, I decided I didn't want to miss a moment of the activities on the floor at the production table.  

So my reasons for not participating were purely selfish - though my mug has been seen several times in the bumper shots and closing credits so far, and will also be in the closing of tomorrow's final show.  I'll be standing next to Robert if anyone wants to throw darts :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2004, 01:30:15 AM by bricon »

bandit_bobby

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2004, 07:11:44 AM »
Too bad Henry Winkler wasn't one of the contestants that week.

uncamark

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2004, 12:37:59 PM »
And was that Mary Ann Jorgensen behind an audio board on one of the bumpers yesterday?

And poor Fern--of all the celebs to blow a question on, to have it be Penn Jillette--*twice*--"SMILE!  APPLAUD!"

Saw that Robert landed on his feet and is booking contestants for "Balderdash."