Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It's In the Book, Bob!  (Read 1306 times)

calliaume

It's In the Book, Bob!
« on: June 04, 2004, 10:46:58 PM »
Right now, Book Expo America is going on in Chicago, where publishers display upcoming titles to booksellers, agents, publications, and the like.  (That's simplifying it a bit, but you get the idea.)  Lots of freebies are given away, and lots of authors are there to do signings.

Since it's local this year, much of the staff from my house attends, and I'll be there all three days.  Yesterday, I scanned the list of authors I'd be interested in meeting and getting a free copy.

And one stood out:  Bob Eubanks.  His long-promised It's in The Book, Bob! will be published this October by Benbella Books.

Happily, I got an advance reading copy (signed -- and got to talk with him for about 30 seconds), so I can give out a few highlights:

- Read about the music acts Bob's managed -- and the ones he passed on
- Which era of The Newlywed Game does Bob consider the best -- and which did he consider the worst?
- The Diamond Head Game and the incredible shrinking prize budget
- So why was Rhyme and Reason cancelled, anyway?
- Why Chuck Barris couldn't get Bob Barker to say "belly button"
- What was the best show Bob Eubanks produced?  (Hint:  it wasn't a game show.)
- Apparently I'm not the only one who thought Lacey Pemberton was hot

A few caveats:
1) This book will be 408 pages long -- and maybe 30-50 of them have anything to do with game shows -- it covers a lot about the music business (remember, Bob's done a ton of promotion and management, and started as a DJ).  If Peter Marshall's book was too short (224 pages), this one may be a little too long to read.
2) This is an advance reading copy, set from first typeset page proofs -- so it's full of typographical errors (virtually all of which will be fixed by the time it's a real book), and a few factual errors as well (Bob is under the impression all of the first run of The Newlywed Game is gone, which we know isn't the case).

Still, it looks like it will be a good read.

zachhoran

It's In the Book, Bob!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 10:52:08 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Jun 4 2004, 09:46 PM\']
- What was the best show Bob Eubanks produced?  (Hint:  it wasn't a game show.)
 [/quote]
 The Toni Tennille SHow? INfatuation?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
It's In the Book, Bob!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 11:25:26 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 4 2004, 09:52 PM\'] The Toni Tennille SHow? [/quote]
I'm not even sure Toni Tennille herself would put that show high on her list of accomplishments (maybe I'm wrong).  I once met her, though.  Very nice lady (didn't meet the Captain, however).

As far as the question at hand, would it be the Beatles' Hollywood Bowl concert (Curt just said "show"--not necessarily "television show")?  Nah, of course not.

Doug
« Last Edit: June 04, 2004, 11:29:35 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Winkfan

It's In the Book, Bob!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 01:04:16 AM »
And one stood out:  Bob Eubanks.  His long-promised It's in The Book, Bob! will be published this October by Benbella Books.
YABBA DABBA DOO!!!!!

1) This book will be 408 pages long -- and maybe 30-50 of them have anything to do with game shows -- it covers a lot about the music business (remember, Bob's done a ton of promotion and management, and started as a DJ).  If Peter Marshall's book was too short (224 pages), this one may be a little too long to read.

The Winkster's book was only 291 pages (including the 'index'); and he didn't touch on his Los Angeles radio days (KFWB, KMPC) too much. I'll bet some of his old deejay cronies are fuming over that.

Still, it looks like it will be a good read.

Well, I sure hope so!

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Carol Wayne of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:24:49 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)