Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Convention  (Read 2917 times)

Rastaub

Game Show Convention
« on: June 05, 2004, 01:08:39 PM »
As a few of you know Game Show Convention 12 is nearly wrapped up.

This post is a little insight as to the Home Game Tourney and Noteable events.  

In Thursdays action Chuck Donegan continued his 2 year reign of Terror winning Card Sharks over Brian Schwartz.  In Chuck's semifinals match, he amazingly ran the deck for $32,000. This may be a GSC first.

On Friday the action continued and High Rollers saw Donegan win the title again, this time in a squeaker over Andrew Kudey.

Today, Saturday, Sale of the Century is under way and the finals are set  with Chuck Donegan looking for the Triple Crown going up against Bob Staub and Brian Schwartz.  

The highlight of today will be a phonecall to our own Randy West.  

Some notes, during Card Sharks, Joe Raygor's innovation came into play. Instead of using the standard freeze bars, we used Freeze Bars  bearing the face of legendary host, Rolf  Benirschke, forever to be known as Benirschke Bars. These bars reared their ugly heads during High Rollers as well, this time serving the purpiose of insurance markers.  

During Sale of the Century, we used the names of some elite forum members as our fame game faces.

Results Later  

Bob Staub

inturnaround

Game Show Convention
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 01:19:10 PM »
Where's the spoiler space?!?!?!

Just kidding! Hope everyone is having a blast!
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Don Howard

Game Show Convention
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 02:01:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Rastaub\' date=\'Jun 5 2004, 12:08 PM\'] During Sale of the Century, we used the names of some elite forum members as our fame game faces.

[/quote]
 Which space did I get?

Steve McClellan

Game Show Convention
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 02:24:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Rastaub\' date=\'Jun 5 2004, 10:08 AM\'] In Chuck's semifinals match, he amazingly ran the deck for $32,000. This may be a GSC first. [/quote]
 Well, *Roger* tells me it's a first, but there are a few people here who can remember it happening once or twice before...

:)

Rastaub

Game Show Convention
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 03:22:28 PM »
As I did say, it may be a GSC first. Some of the veteran attendees here were unsure as well.  Needless to say, it was still an amazing turn of events.  

As for the Sale of the Century  results   Bob Staub (myself) won a close game defeating Brian Schwartz and Chuck Donegan /  

Making the top 3 in the standings  

1. Chuck Donegan
2. Brian Schwartz
3. Bob Staub

Yes, Don we did manage to include you, as  we all know you are a huge SOTC fan, and underneath you was Mystery Money or Spin again.

Don Howard

Game Show Convention
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2004, 07:48:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Rastaub\' date=\'Jun 5 2004, 02:22 PM\'] Yes, Don we did manage to include you, as we all know you are a huge SOTC fan, and underneath you was Mystery Money or Spin again. [/quote]
 How about that?! I was only kidding. But thank you. Thanks for including me.

Craig Karlberg

Game Show Convention
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 04:54:08 AM »
How about that.  Just like Smarty Jones, Chuck D. fails for the GSC 12 "tripple crown".  At least he was #1 in the rankings anyway.

BrandonFG

Game Show Convention
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 11:02:45 AM »
[quote name=\'Rastaub\' date=\'Jun 5 2004, 02:22 PM\'] Yes, Don we did manage to include you, as  we all know you are a huge SOTC fan, and underneath you was Mystery Money or Spin again. [/quote]
 Out of curiosity, who *were* the folks on the Fame Game board? :-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Winkfan

Game Show Convention
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 04:25:59 PM »
Out of curiosity, who *were* the folks on the Fame Game board? :-)
Roger Christian, The Real Don Steele, 'Emperor' Bob Hudson, Robert W. Morgan, Gene Weed, Bob Braun, Russ 'the Moose' Syracuse, Art Roberts, and Joe Niagara.  >:(

Sorry; I just had to get it off of my chest.....

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Carol Wayne of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:50:57 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

Rastaub

Game Show Convention
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2004, 05:08:21 PM »
To reply to Brandon's inquiry,  we included a decent smattering of former hosts, famous contestants and members of this board and ATGS members, including a few who most people forget.  

I can email you if you'd like to know the specifics.

zachhoran

Game Show Convention
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2004, 07:20:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 03:25 PM\'] Joe Niagara.

[/quote]
 Off topic a bit, but Joe died the other day. He was 79 IIRC, and reportedly the first DJ to play Rock and Roll in Philly.

inturnaround

Game Show Convention
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2004, 07:25:48 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 07:20 PM\'][quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 03:25 PM\'] Joe Niagara.

[/quote]
Off topic a bit, but Joe died the other day. He was 79 IIRC, and reportedly the first DJ to play Rock and Roll in Philly.[/quote]
Aye, my mother fondly remembers him from her youth as one of the big voices behind WIBG (pronounced Wibbage). He was as WPEN-AM for a few decades now.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

zachhoran

Game Show Convention
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2004, 08:43:49 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 06:25 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 07:20 PM\'][quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 03:25 PM\'] Joe Niagara.

[/quote]
Off topic a bit, but Joe died the other day. He was 79 IIRC, and reportedly the first DJ to play Rock and Roll in Philly.[/quote]
Aye, my mother fondly remembers him from her youth as one of the big voices behind WIBG (pronounced Wibbage). He was as WPEN-AM for a few decades now. [/quote]
 He retired in 1999, as per WCAU's obit the other day.

tvrandywest

Game Show Convention
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2004, 08:56:00 PM »
Hy Lit, Jerry Blavett, Bob Horn (the originator of "Bandstand"), his successor Dick Clark, George Michael ("Sports Machine"), Jocko Henderson, Matty "The Humdinger" Singer and many more made Phillie a very hip radio market. The biggest of them all was Joe Niagara, who was the top-rated jock in the market from 1947 - 1957. RIP.

To topic, the guys (and ONE gal) at the convention were fun to chat with. Good people, good (and some tough) questions, good time.   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

mystery7

Game Show Convention
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2004, 09:42:20 PM »
OK Randy, what's wrong with this picture? I'm not even 30 and I know all the names except Humdinger. You'll be pleased to know, BTW, that Hy Lit is still goin' strong on WOGL in Philly. He's on every Sunday evening. Jerry Blavat (aka Geator) is still doin' live dances around the greater Philly/South Jersey area.

Now back to the game party: Wish I'd known about it sooner - I'd have booked a spot as a contestant. Here's hoping I can figure out a date and place to host my own party soon.

- mystery7, not far up from Philly