Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Grim Reaper crashes our party  (Read 2307 times)

Michael Brandenburg

Grim Reaper crashes our party
« on: June 05, 2004, 07:51:46 PM »
Even though we already have a thread devoted to the death of Ronald Reagan earlier today (6-5-2004), I'll put up this new thread to mention the fact that as of right now, NBC is airing a special tribute to our 40th president -- which is unfortunately pre-empting the Powerball Instant Millionaire show on WLWT, Channel 5 in Cincinnati, on which I was supposed to be one of the Kentucky "at-home" players.

(First Smarty Jones loses the Belmot stakes today, and now this!)

However, in all due respect to Mr. Reagan and his surviving friends and family, I do want to say that I did get to see President Reagan when he came to Cincinnati for a political rally on Fountain Square in 1984, and he certainly came across as a government leader I greatly respected and admired.

I also saw the clip of Mr. Reagan's appearance on I've Got a Secret some years ago, which "Robair" described in the other thread as follows:

The actor-turned ploitico is best remembered by game show fans for staging a great bit for "I've Got a Secret", which entailed his leaving the stage whenever any panelist hestiated or misspoke.

Needless to say, I thought it was downright hilarious!

Mr. Reagan, of course, died after about a decade of suffering Altzheimer's disease.  My "best woman friend," Sheri Auciellio, who is beside me as I am posting this, has a mother who has suffered from Altzheimer's for some years as well, so we both know what a tragic ailment that is.

Our Powerball Instant Millionaire celebration party here at my own mother's home has ended up being cancelled, of course, but I'll reset the VCR for the program's "alternate" time on WLWT (1 A.M.) tomorrow morning, and hopefully I'll catch the show for you then and we'll then find out how much I will be winning from that Powerball Instant Millionaire ticket I picked up off the street and sent in a while back.

Once again, my condolences to all who knew and loved this nation's 40th president.

Michael Brandenburg
(What more is there to say?)

Jumpondees

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 12:02:08 AM »
Hi Michael...

PBIM just aired here in Pittsburgh (We were pre-empted here for the Children's Miracle Network Telethon), had my fingers crossed for ya...

I'm not going to post anything spoiler-worthy here (cause I don't want to incur "the wrath" lol ), except to say that your KY player did not make it to the stage this evening.

Hopefully, you still get something for being picked.  :-)

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 04:45:33 AM »
Apparently, my ABC affiliate(WPVI-TV6) in Philadelphia aired the show at a much later time than usual thanks to the Stanley Cup finals(STUPID HOCKEY PLAYOFFS!).

At least I'll still have 10 more shots to see if someone will get that million.  Oh well!

davemackey

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 07:13:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 04:45 AM\'] Apparently, my ABC affiliate(WPVI-TV6) in Philadelphia aired the show at a much later time than usual thanks to the Stanley Cup finals(STUPID HOCKEY PLAYOFFS!). [/quote]
 It's already airing pretty late (11:30 p.m.) - what time did it actually go on last night?

Michael Brandenburg

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 09:55:20 AM »
To follow up for all of you, the Powerball Instant Millionaire program did not air on WLWT in Cincinnati at its "alternate" 1 A.M. time this morning (6-6-2004), but that station still has what would normally be their Sunday night/Monday morning "rerun" scheduled for 2:05 A.M. tomorrow -- so I've reset the VCRs!

The program is essentially "regionally syndicated" -- it airs at different times in different parts of the United States (I had earlier posted a link to the PBIM station log on the Multi-State Lottery Corporation's website), so that's why some of you did get to see the program last evening at other times.

Carolyn Link of Louisville was supposed to be the Kentucky studio player for that evening, and she may have gotten to see her program aired at 7:30 P.M. last evening on Louisville's WDRB, Channel 41 -- which is the FOX broadcast network affiliate in that city.  (I haven't exactly known the FOX broadcast network to "dump" what they feel should be "vital news coverage," legitimate or otherwise, onto regularly-scheduled programs of either their network or affiliates, as NBC, ABC, and CBS no doubt did during the 7-8 time period last night.)

"Jumpondees," you gave away the fact that I still have $100 coming for getting picked for the show.  The PBIM "home player" prizes are $100 for being selected, an additional $400 if the home player's corresponding studio player plays the end game on that program (regardless of its outcome), and a grand total of $10,000 if the home player's corresponding studio player wins $1 million.

We have had two $1 million winners since the start of the current format of the show on October 5, 2002.  There are actually 16 shows remaining before the show leaves the air after the weekend of September 25-26, 2004, four of which were taped last March and the rest scheduled for taping on June 29 and 30 at the Venetian in Vegas (six shows per day).  However, it doesn't look like host Todd Newton will be out of work after those shows are finished, since he seems to have found a new gig with TPIR Live! that will be coming soon to Atlantic City.

That's it for now -- now to check out something else that Todd has been closely associated with.

Michael Brandenburg
(Would you believe it is a Press Your Luck slot machine?)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 11:17:56 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 06:13 AM\'] [quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 04:45 AM\'] Apparently, my ABC affiliate(WPVI-TV6) in Philadelphia aired the show at a much later time than usual thanks to the Stanley Cup finals(STUPID HOCKEY PLAYOFFS!). [/quote]
It's already airing pretty late (11:30 p.m.) - what time did it actually go on last night? [/quote]
 The game telecast ended around 11:55 ET last night, so figure 30 minutes or so after that (if the normal start time is following the news).   Of course, I'm not in the Philadelphia area, so YMMV.

Great game last night though.  For that matter, it's been a great series.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

rugrats1

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 01:04:30 PM »
I haven't exactly known the FOX broadcast network to "dump" what they feel should be "vital news coverage," legitimate or otherwise, onto regularly-scheduled programs of either their network or affiliates, as NBC, ABC, and CBS no doubt did during the 7-8 time period last night.

In the Tampa Bay area, WTVT ch.13 carried Fox News coverage of the Reagan death during that hour (actually, the same Fox News Channel feed, but with the "Fox News" logo instead); I don't know if the coverage was mandatory or optional. They did stop the coverage at 8PM ET -- just in time for "Cops".

Don Howard

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 04:52:50 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 12:04 PM\'] In the Tampa Bay area, WTVT ch.13 carried Fox News coverage of the Reagan death during that hour (actually, the same Fox News Channel feed, but with the "Fox News" logo instead); I don't know if the coverage was mandatory or optional. They did stop the coverage at 8PM ET -- just in time for "Cops". [/quote]
 Well, thank the dear Lord the death of our former Commander In Chief didn't prevent Cops from being presented. Power to the bad boys, bad boys!!

dzinkin

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 05:13:36 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 01:04 PM\'] In the Tampa Bay area, WTVT ch.13 carried Fox News coverage of the Reagan death during that hour (actually, the same Fox News Channel feed, but with the "Fox News" logo instead); I don't know if the coverage was mandatory or optional. [/quote]
 It was optional -- I know KTTV, for example, did its own coverage instead of picking up FNC.

Jumpondees

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2004, 10:09:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Michael Brandenburg\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 08:55 AM\']
"Jumpondees," you gave away the fact that I still have $100 coming for getting picked for the show.  The PBIM "home player" prizes are $100 for being selected, an additional $400 if the home player's corresponding studio player plays the end game on that program (regardless of its outcome), and a grand total of $10,000 if the home player's corresponding studio player wins $1 million.
 [/quote]
 LOL Michael...you still had to grill me.. Although I never did gave away how much money you were getting...I just couldn't assume that you would get the same stuff as us here in PA...Our at home games are similar with the execption that you in KY get $400 for the player making it to the endgame, we here get $500.  

For the record...PBIM airs in Pgh at 7:30pm on Saturdays, but if pre-empted for whatever reason, it usually falls in at 11:35pm after the news on the local CBS O&O.  That's what time I saw it last night....although I was torn...I was trying to root you on, but I was also trying to keep up with the Stanley Cup game that was in OT...

*sigh*  Oh Well...Off to read some more posts

Doug (Jumpondees)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2004, 10:48:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Jumpondees\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 07:09 PM\'] Our at home games are similar with the execption that you in KY get $400 for the player making it to the endgame, we here get $500.  
 [/quote]
 $100, plus the _additional_ $400 that Michael alluded to, does in fact add up to $500.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe