Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Convention  (Read 2920 times)

whewfan

Game Show Convention
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2004, 10:58:33 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 07:56 PM\'] To topic, the guys (and ONE gal) at the convention were fun to chat with. Good people, good (and some tough) questions, good time.   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
 Some questions were tough, especially when I asked Randy if he knew the proof to Fermat's Last Theorem (just kidding!)

Anyway, thanks for your time Randy, it was indeed a pleasure to speak with you again!

Special thanks also to Bob Staub and Andrew Kudey for putting together a great GSC and a great time!

zachhoran

Game Show Convention
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2004, 11:05:43 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 08:42 PM\'] Jerry Blavat (aka Geator) is still doin' live dances around the greater Philly/South Jersey area.

[/quote]
 Jerry has a small nightclub in my town of Margate, NJ, called Memories.

ChuckNet

Game Show Convention
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2004, 11:52:23 PM »
I'd like to pretty much echo what Matt had to say...had a great time, Bob and Andrew did a fine job w/both gameplay and accomodations, and I was also proud of the fact that I managed to run the board in CS. :-)

Oh, and to Randy, it was great talking to you for the 1st time, though I was sorry to hear about the incident involving the tape of your 1st PYL appearance...LOL...I'll def be e-mailing you soon, anyway.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

tvrandywest

Game Show Convention
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2004, 12:21:28 AM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Jun 6 2004, 05:42 PM\'] OK Randy, what's wrong with this picture? I'm not even 30 and I know all the names except Humdinger. You'll be pleased to know, BTW, that Hy Lit is still goin' strong on WOGL in Philly. He's on every Sunday evening. Jerry Blavat (aka Geator) is still doin' live dances around the greater Philly/South Jersey area. [/quote]
Very cool. I respect and admire people who bother to do a little homework about the things they're interested in. And about not yet being 30 and knowing what you know, just in case someone is getting ready to carbon date me, I never knew these guys first hand during their heyday either... only through the legends and word of mouth from people who worked with them. It was an era of exciting radio that is long, long gone. But Uncle Ricky at reelradio.com has done an amazing job of archiving tons of it.

You may not have heard of The Humdinger because he left the microphone to work in the record promotion world where he put in over 40 years remaining a fave among the Phillie radio community. My buddy "Philadelphia's Son" Frank (Kingston) Smith worked the town for a while borrowing his "PSFS" from a bank building with those initials prominently displayed (so he told me). On his way to New York "Jocko" Henderson enjoyed success with his rhyming patter (before it was called rapping) in Phillie, too.

You also had another memorable personality in Phillie - "Humble Harve" Miller. He later moved to KHJ and will forever be remembered for coming home after his airshift and murdering his wife! In his defense, Harve says she was emotionally abusing him in a torturous way. Harve served his time at Chino State Prison in CA where he became Program Director of the prison radio station!!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 12:25:47 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

inturnaround

Game Show Convention
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2004, 12:41:00 AM »
Aye, PSFS was the Philadelphia Savings Fund Society. It was purchased by Mellon Bank at the end of the 80s which was itself recently gobbled up by Citizens Bank.

The PSFS building is still there with the same prominent lettering. It has a light up sign that flashes news info across the city and it easily recognizable in the skyscape of the city.
Joe Coughlin     
Human