Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Davidson's Squares  (Read 3024 times)

DJDustman

Davidson's Squares
« on: June 07, 2004, 11:14:24 PM »
Hey there, Have a little question.

Anyone know what was the highest cash total ever won on this HS?  I have an episode where a contestant leaves with $6200, but not sure if its the highest.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 11:14:47 PM by DJDustman »

TraderRob

Davidson's Squares
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 04:08:13 PM »
IIRC, someone won over $7000 during the final season.

Not to get too far off-topic, but Joel Beeson was one of the top winners on Davidson Squares and could very well have been the one who won the $6200 during season 2.  He would go on to be Joey's nemesis at the perfume counter on a 2nd season episode of Friends.

Joel was responsible for one of the best classic lines of the Davidson series when, on his 5th and final day, he was asked by Davidson to tell the audience something about himself.  Joel started to say (in his thick southern accent) "Well there's not much left to say but.." and Davidson cut him off right there agreeing with him that there wasn't anything left for him to say.   Joel was caught completely off guard.

Brett Butler was a guest that particular week and I'd read in her autobiography about how Joan Rivers would cry in her square during breaks (this was shortly after the suicide of Joan's husband) and how annoying Jm J. Bullock was... LOL

Rob

HairMetalLives

Davidson's Squares
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 04:28:43 PM »
[quote name=\'TraderRob\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 03:08 PM\'] Brett Butler was a guest that particular week and I'd read in her autobiography about how Joan Rivers would cry in her square during breaks (this was shortly after the suicide of Joan's husband) and how annoying Jm J. Bullock was... LOL [/quote]
 Uh, RHETT Butler, maybe? Brett Butler was an outfielder for the Giants during this time period (later with the Dogers and the Mets for a few months).

adamjk

Davidson's Squares
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 04:29:54 PM »
Different Brett you are thinking of. Rob was speaking of the female comic and later actress.

sshuffield70

Davidson's Squares
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 04:45:07 PM »
[quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 03:28 PM\'] [quote name=\'TraderRob\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 03:08 PM\'] Brett Butler was a guest that particular week and I'd read in her autobiography about how Joan Rivers would cry in her square during breaks (this was shortly after the suicide of Joan's husband) and how annoying Jm J. Bullock was... LOL [/quote]
Uh, RHETT Butler, maybe? Brett Butler was an outfielder for the Giants during this time period (later with the Dogers and the Mets for a few months). [/quote]
 Must learn to get out more.

BTW, Brett Butler, the actress, somehow won the Celebrity Spelling Bee.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Davidson's Squares
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 04:45:12 PM »
[quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 03:28 PM\'] Uh, RHETT Butler, maybe? [/quote]
 What's the over/under on when someone posts a "Frankly, I don't give a damn" joke?  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TraderRob

Davidson's Squares
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 06:11:22 PM »
[quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 03:28 PM\'] Uh, RHETT Butler, maybe? Brett Butler was an outfielder for the Giants during this time period (later with the Dogers and the Mets for a few months). [/quote]
 Yes... it happened to be Gone With The Wind Week featuring Rhett Butler, Scarlett O'Hara...and Vicki Lawrence as "Mammy"

<sigh>

ChuckNet

Davidson's Squares
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 06:50:29 PM »
Yes... it happened to be Gone With The Wind Week featuring Rhett Butler, Scarlett O'Hara...and Vicki Lawrence as "Mammy"

AGTOT? :-D

Chuck Donegan (The Rolling-With-The-Punches "Chuckie Baby")

zachhoran

Davidson's Squares
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 06:53:24 PM »
[quote name=\'TraderRob\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 03:08 PM\'] IIRC, someone won over $7000 during the final season.

[/quote]
 The third season of Davidson HS changed the bonus format to have a contestant pick which of the nine celebs would have the key to start the car, and also waived the five show limit for contestant. Contestants in the third season stayed until they won the car(1 in 9 chance of winning it now) or were defeated.

BrandonFG

Davidson's Squares
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 07:06:39 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 05:53 PM\'] [quote name=\'TraderRob\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 03:08 PM\'] IIRC, someone won over $7000 during the final season.

[/quote]
The third season of Davidson HS changed the bonus format to have a contestant pick which of the nine celebs would have the key to start the car, and also waived the five show limit for contestant. Contestants in the third season stayed until they won the car(1 in 9 chance of winning it now) or were defeated. [/quote]
 Which has WHAT to do with the point being made?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

DJDustman

Davidson's Squares
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2004, 08:00:53 PM »
[quote name=\'TraderRob\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 03:08 PM\'] IIRC, someone won over $7000 during the final season.

Not to get too far off-topic, but Joel Beeson was one of the top winners on Davidson Squares and could very well have been the one who won the $6200 during season 2.  He would go on to be Joey's nemesis at the perfume counter on a 2nd season episode of Friends.

Joel was responsible for one of the best classic lines of the Davidson series when, on his 5th and final day, he was asked by Davidson to tell the audience something about himself.  Joel started to say (in his thick southern accent) "Well there's not much left to say but.." and Davidson cut him off right there agreeing with him that there wasn't anything left for him to say.   Joel was caught completely off guard.

Brett Butler was a guest that particular week and I'd read in her autobiography about how Joan Rivers would cry in her square during breaks (this was shortly after the suicide of Joan's husband) and how annoying Jm J. Bullock was... LOL

Rob [/quote]
 The person I have on tape is Richard Bryan, THis was during the 2nd season in April or May of 1988.  Guests were Tia Carrerre, Winston Reckert, Jerry Seinfeld, Dick Clark and others.

Richard Bryan stayed all 5 days, winning $6200 in cash, Three Secret Squares and a Car.  But I wasnt sure if it was the highest.

TraderRob

Davidson's Squares
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2004, 12:53:10 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 05:53 PM\'] [quote name=\'TraderRob\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 03:08 PM\'] IIRC, someone won over $7000 during the final season.

[/quote]
The third season of Davidson HS changed the bonus format to have a contestant pick which of the nine celebs would have the key to start the car, and also waived the five show limit for contestant. Contestants in the third season stayed until they won the car(1 in 9 chance of winning it now) or were defeated. [/quote]
 I'm guessing DJDustman is asking for strictly cash totals and to not include secret square prizes and car wins, but yes... since a contestant could stay on for longer than 5 days, they could conceivably win a lot more cash.   That's why I'm positive there was a big $7000+ cash winner in season 3.

Rob

Card Shark

Davidson's Squares
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2004, 07:11:08 AM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 04:29 PM\'] Different Brett you are thinking of. Rob was speaking of the female comic and later actress. [/quote]
 Yes, this would be the one who had the short lived sitcom in 1993 called "Grace Under Fire."
Adam Strom

tvwxman

Davidson's Squares
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2004, 07:46:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Jun 9 2004, 06:11 AM\'] [quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 04:29 PM\'] Different Brett you are thinking of. Rob was speaking of the female comic and later actress. [/quote]
Yes, this would be the one who had the short lived sitcom in 1993 called "Grace Under Fire." [/quote]
 Hardly a short run sitcom...it lasted a few years, long enough to go into syndication, no?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

dzinkin

Davidson's Squares
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2004, 11:00:36 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jun 9 2004, 07:46 AM\'] [quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Jun 9 2004, 06:11 AM\'] [quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jun 8 2004, 04:29 PM\'] Different Brett you are thinking of. Rob was speaking of the female comic and later actress. [/quote]
Yes, this would be the one who had the short lived sitcom in 1993 called "Grace Under Fire." [/quote]
Hardly a short run sitcom...it lasted a few years, long enough to go into syndication, no? [/quote]
 From what I read about Butler's fights with the staff, not short enough. :-)  IIRC it ended abruptly, but it did run for a few years.