Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR question  (Read 6790 times)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
TPIR question
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2004, 11:16:29 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jun 16 2004, 05:15 AM\'] But if they were so concerned about keeping which pricing games are played that day a suprise, they should get rid of the game list directly offstage.

You can see it from contestant's row. [/quote]
 They're hiding the prizes, too. When there's a huge trailer in the hallway waiting to be offered in a showcase, you want a genuine reaction from the person seeing the trailer for the first time. Not to mention how seeing a prize that hasn't been offered yet can swing the decision to bid or pass.

It's not a big secret that a lot of games can be identified by the audience before they're played. Heck, pretty much anything behind the giant price tag can be seen from either of the back corners (Check-Out's name even blinks over the top of the tag!). But as was already stated, aside from "PLINKO GAME," most folks don't know what the words on the slate mean. And the folks who do should be loyal enough that they'll be excited no matter what happens.

--
Scott Robinson

catkins522

TPIR question
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2004, 01:24:53 AM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' date=\'Jun 16 2004, 10:16 PM\'] [quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jun 16 2004, 05:15 AM\'] But if they were so concerned about keeping which pricing games are played that day a suprise, they should get rid of the game list directly offstage.

You can see it from contestant's row. [/quote]
They're hiding the prizes, too. When there's a huge trailer in the hallway waiting to be offered in a showcase, you want a genuine reaction from the person seeing the trailer for the first time. Not to mention how seeing a prize that hasn't been offered yet can swing the decision to bid or pass.

It's not a big secret that a lot of games can be identified by the audience before they're played. Heck, pretty much anything behind the giant price tag can be seen from either of the back corners (Check-Out's name even blinks over the top of the tag!). But as was already stated, aside from "PLINKO GAME," most folks don't know what the words on the slate mean. And the folks who do should be loyal enough that they'll be excited no matter what happens.

--
Scott Robinson [/quote]
 Plus, if you are in the front 2 rows, you can see what they are doing that day on a slate, stage right, next to the table where the producers sit, before one of the flunkies turns it to the back.

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

LA the DJ

TPIR question
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2004, 06:12:40 AM »
It's TPiR...The Holy Grail of game shows! What self-respecting game show geek WOULDN'T be excited to just be on stage playing...That covers us...

...and the rest of the world is either enough of a fan to be excited, or isn't enough of a fan, and is cluelessly excited.

...But we all know not to win IUFB #4. ^_^
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

Frank15

TPIR question
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2004, 09:42:45 AM »
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' date=\'Jun 16 2004, 11:28 AM\'] And to answer your question -- to quote the staff: "We place the contestants in the order we feel that will be the strongest.  We place the best contestants first." [/quote]
 Ya' know, I'd have honestly never guessed.  While I was pretty sure the ordering was intentional, there have been enough episodes where the strongest contestant, or strongest contestants, were called late in the show that I would've guessed they're looking for other factors in determining the order.  The most recent Million Dollar Spectacular is a perfect example, and I could name a bunch of other episodes too, though what's the point of listing dates that no one's going to remember ;)?

...OK, one:  April 24, 2002.  Both the 8th and 9th contestants were (or would have been) incredible, whereas most others, including a certain Ten Chances player, were not.

aaron sica

TPIR question
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2004, 09:45:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Frank15\' date=\'Jun 17 2004, 09:42 AM\'] While I was pretty sure the ordering was intentional, there have been enough episodes where the strongest contestant, or strongest contestants, were called late in the show that I would've guessed they're looking for other factors in determining the order.  The most recent Million Dollar Spectacular is a perfect example, and I could name a bunch of other episodes too, though what's the point of listing dates that no one's going to remember ;)?
 [/quote]
 I've wondered that myself, but one of our regular posters would be able to probably name several instances, right down to the date...

Frank15

TPIR question
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2004, 11:14:58 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jun 17 2004, 08:45 AM\'] I've wondered that myself, but one of our regular posters would be able to probably name several instances, right down to the date... [/quote]
 So could I ^.^.  I just kinda' figured listing a bunch of seemingly random dates might be fairly dull for most of you all.

dzinkin

TPIR question
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2004, 11:22:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Frank15\' date=\'Jun 17 2004, 11:14 AM\'] So could I ^.^.  I just kinda' figured listing a bunch of seemingly random dates might be fairly dull for most of you all. [/quote]
 It would be.  The fact that you actually care about what others want to read sets you apart from the other person, though. :-)

aaron sica

TPIR question
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2004, 11:23:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Frank15\' date=\'Jun 17 2004, 11:14 AM\'] So could I ^.^.  I just kinda' figured listing a bunch of seemingly random dates might be fairly dull for most of you all. [/quote]
 MOST of us, yes, but there are those select few who know who they are and who need to get out of the house more and experience life. :)

Ian Wallis

TPIR question
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2004, 11:32:51 AM »
would you purposely throw the One Bid, knowing that you had only one more chance to make it on stage?

I wouldn't purposely throw anything.  There's no guarantee you could win the next IUFB, so you mayaswell take the chance while you've got it!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

TimK2003

TPIR question
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2004, 01:11:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jun 21 2004, 10:32 AM\']
would you purposely throw the One Bid, knowing that you had only one more chance to make it on stage?

I wouldn't purposely throw anything.  There's no guarantee you could win the next IUFB, so you mayaswell take the chance while you've got it! [/quote]
 Abbatalootly!

Theoretically, if you throw just one IUFB, there is a chance that all of the remaining 1st bidders *could* guess the price exactly for the Bonus, and thus you would be locked out the rest of the game.

A more likely scenario is (if the camera is shooting out toward the audience) you are in the far right spot & the far left spot comes up with the winning bid or the person to your right are the ones with the winning bids, you will always be the last bid and, unless you one-up the highest bid, or bid one dollah, the odds are gonna be tougher.

I'd just try to nail the IUFB as best I can for each game...If you get up on stage at any time playing even the worst game, those prizes will be dwarfed if you land $11K on the big wheel and/or win the showcase(s).

Frank15

TPIR question
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2004, 03:07:58 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Jun 21 2004, 12:11 PM\'] A more likely scenario is (if the camera is shooting out toward the audience) you are in the far right spot & the far left spot comes up with the winning bid or the person to your right are the ones with the winning bids, you will always be the last bid and, unless you one-up the highest bid, or bid one dollah, the odds are gonna be tougher. [/quote]
 While I'd agree that intentionally blowing an item up for bids is not a smart move, that's just piss poor reasoning as to why it's a bad idea.  Being the last bidder usually gives you an advantage that the other three bidders do not have:  your odds of getting up on stage are better as the last bidder, not worse.

Jay Temple

TPIR question
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2004, 10:10:53 PM »
There is a very narrow situation in which I would consider taking a dive.  For all that you don't know when you're there, the one thing you do know is this:  If you make the winning bid on the IUFB, you win it.  If the prize were something I had absolutely zero interest in, and especially if it were early in the show, I'd consider making a ridiculous bid on it.  (Oh, darn, someone else wins the exercise equipment.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Gromit

TPIR question
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2004, 01:23:37 AM »
Interesting topic.

*If* I was one of the first four called, and *if* the first game was something really crappy , and *if* I could see the board and the rest of the games were much more interesting or had something of particular interest, then I'd probably throw it.

Chances are, that you're not going to be in that position though.

Frank15

TPIR question
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2004, 06:36:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Jun 23 2004, 12:23 AM\'] Interesting topic.

*If* I was one of the first four called, and *if* the first game was something really crappy , and *if* I could see the board and the rest of the games were much more interesting or had something of particular interest, then I'd probably throw it.

Chances are, that you're not going to be in that position though. [/quote]
 Hello, ClockGameJohn?  Are you here?  Someone's callin' ya' ;).

cmjb13

TPIR question
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2004, 06:51:01 AM »
A friend of mine, George Fletcher, who was a contestant about 2 years ago was in a similar situation.

He was one of the first 4 called down (can't remember if he was the first though).

He knew enough to see the list of games and that his favorite game 10 chances would be played. I don't recall if it was the first or 2nd game played, but he was going to play it, if he hadn't been beat by the last bidder.

And I'm sure he played his strategy well to try to play his favorite game.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS