Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR question  (Read 6791 times)

ClockGameJohn

TPIR question
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2004, 03:38:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Jun 23 2004, 01:23 AM\'] Interesting topic.

*If* I was one of the first four called, and *if* the first game was something really crappy , and *if* I could see the board and the rest of the games were much more interesting or had something of particular interest, then I'd probably throw it.

Chances are, that you're not going to be in that position though. [/quote]
 Well, I was Contestant #3.  The first and second contestants lined up in the most intelligent order possible (Contestant 1 got the final bid) and so I was in the blue and would be bidding second.

I saw the slate: (Which I thought was a great lineup for the day)

CLOCK GAME
THREE STRIKES
CLIFF HANGERS
CLEARANCE SALE
GROCERY GAME
ONE AWAY

IUFB 1:  Washer Dryer.  Did I know the price?  Pretty damn close to it so I lowballed it just a bit.  I won the IUFB (due to poor bidding strategy on the other contestants, and that alone) and was on stage first.  Did I want to play 3 Strikes?  Hell yes.  Could I win Cliff Hangers or Grocery Game?  Without a doubt and probably perfectly.  Did I care?  Absolutely not.

If I had thrown the first IUFB, attempting to "lock myself" into another bidding round, what if Contestant #1 (last bidder) had won the first IUFB?  This would have left Contestant #2 with the last bid on the next round.  I would have been the 3rd bidder.  Most likely, I would have been $1 upped.  Then that's another round of bidding that I'm out on.  That could have easily continued for the next 4 rounds of bidding and guess what?  I'M DONE.  First four contestant and never to be on stage....not ever, ever again in my life.  

You want to throw it - go for it.  To be honest, if that's how you'd want to play - I don't think I'd be rooting for you too much.  It's not about the greed, it's about the experience, at least for me.  I was honored to be given the opportunity.

The odds of me getting picked, winning the Showcase Showdown, and making it as the Top Winner in the Showcase were unbelievable at the beginning of the day.  Looking back at how it all ended up, I've never had a better day in my life.

Gromit

TPIR question
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2004, 07:29:22 AM »
[quote name=\'Frank15\' date=\'Jun 23 2004, 03:36 AM\'] Hello, ClockGameJohn?  Are you here?  Someone's callin' ya' ;). [/quote]
 Clock Game?  Ha, that's one of the more interesting games to me. I would never try and avoid Clock Game. It's a game of skill, you get to interact with Bob, etc. Yeah, the prizes may not be as high as other games, but that's totally irrelevant. It's not about the cash, it's the experience.

To throw it, it would have to be one of the worst games, something totally mindless, no chance to use any skill to win, etc.

Like tonight. Pick a Number for a $92x0 something piano. Is the third digit 1, 4, or 7?

Pure luck, no skill, and absolutely boring as hell. "Gee Bob, I shop for piano's all the time, they're never as low as $9,240. They're always at least $9,270."

Why does this game even exist? At least with Double Prices or One Right Price I can use some skill and common sense.

uncamark

TPIR question
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2004, 04:40:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Jun 24 2004, 06:29 AM\']Like tonight. Pick a Number for a $92x0 something piano. Is the third digit 1, 4, or 7?

Pure luck, no skill, and absolutely boring as hell. "Gee Bob, I shop for piano's all the time, they're never as low as $9,240. They're always at least $9,270."

Why does this game even exist? At least with Double Prices or One Right Price I can use some skill and common sense.[/quote]
So they don't have to do Double Prices or One Right Price every time--and also, I suspect, to make sure they don't go over budget.  :)

Those of us from the early days remember when there was just Double Prices, Clock Game and Most Expensive in the quickie game mix--some of you would probably shudder at the thought of seeing Double Prices twice a week.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPIR question
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2004, 10:11:27 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jun 24 2004, 01:40 PM\'] some of you would probably shudder at the thought of seeing Double Prices twice a week. [/quote]
 I remember those days. At least with DP, tho, you have a couple grand of leeway (usually) to work with. That game of Pick A Number asked the contestant to correctly price the prize within a window of $60. Range Game isn't even that idiotic.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe