Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Goodson-Todman Series on DVD  (Read 2008 times)

Jimmy Owen

Goodson-Todman Series on DVD
« on: June 15, 2004, 02:23:49 PM »
It's not a game show, but it was a G-T production for you completists.Branded                           While browsing DVDs at Best Buy, I noticed the Burt Sugarman Prods. logo on the Richard Pryor show box set and also a set of "The Cisco Kid" credited to Rhodes.  So there is some willingness to open the vaults, just not for shows that would be on-topic.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 02:46:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 01:23 PM\']It's not a game show, but it was a G-T production for you completists.Branded                           While browsing DVDs at Best Buy, I noticed the Burt Sugarman Prods. logo on the Richard Pryor show box set and also a set of "The Cisco Kid" credited to Rhodes.  So there is some willingness to open the vaults, just not for shows that would be on-topic.[/quote]
Those 22-minute running times don't sound right for 60s prime time series (had to be 24 or 25 minutes back then), but I have the feeling that this is a public domain job anyway and that the packager of the DVD used 16mm dubs that might've been chopped up by stations carrying the show.

Last I heard, King World owns the syndication rights to "Branded"--they sold the show in a package with "The Guns of Will Sonnett," another Western that was Walter Brennan's last series.

Sugarman produced the Pryor series and has kept everything.  Jack Rhodes acquired the rights to "The Cisco Kid" sometime in the late 70s-early 80s from Walter Schwimmer, the Chicago-based producer who bought the show from United Artists, who had acquired Ziv, the original producers and a pioneering company in radio and television syndication (got that?).  Schwimmer also came up with "Tellotest," a franchised radio quiz show, "Championship Bowling," "Championship Bridge" and "Let's Go to the Races," among others.

JMFabiano

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 08:35:00 PM »
This brings up the question...what chances do you think we have to ever see episodes from game show series released commercially on DVD?  I know it's a bigger burden, since there are more game show eps. to one season than there are for weekly series.  But is there some kind of future to it?  Since next to no one knows how to properly utilize most classic material, DVD would be great.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 09:30:45 PM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 05:35 PM\'] This brings up the question...what chances do you think we have to ever see episodes from game show series released commercially on DVD? [/quote]
 No, it doesn't, because the question has already been brought up 410,000 times, and the answer hasn't changed: there is no market for it, it's not gonna happen, live with it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 09:49:10 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 08:30 PM\'] [quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 05:35 PM\'] This brings up the question...what chances do you think we have to ever see episodes from game show series released commercially on DVD? [/quote]
No, it doesn't, because the question has already been brought up 410,000 times, and the answer hasn't changed: there is no market for it, it's not gonna happen, live with it. [/quote]
 We'll see how the Starcade DVD set sells, I guess...
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 10:26:26 PM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 07:35 PM\'] This brings up the question...what chances do you think we have to ever see episodes from game show series released commercially on DVD?  I know it's a bigger burden, since there are more game show eps. to one season than there are for weekly series.  But is there some kind of future to it?  Since next to no one knows how to properly utilize most classic material, DVD would be great. [/quote]
Well, there are just over 900 people on this forum.  If I were to announce that I have just secured the DVD rights to a game show, how many people here would pre-order and allow me to turn a profit?  Depends on the show, you say.  Maybe the only avenue for DVD exploitation of game shows would be as a bonus on other films.  For example, it would have been a nice thing to have a couple of the Chuck Barris shows on the "Confessions" DVD or the TTTT ep with Frank A. on the "Catch Me If You Can" DVD.  I don't think the shows in and of themselves are a big enough draw.  Meanwhile, try to support the authorized stuff that is out there, like the "Starcade" and the Groucho shows.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 10:27:56 PM by Jimmy Owen »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 02:25:41 AM »
If I were to announce that I have just secured the DVD rights to a game show, how many people here would pre-order and allow me to turn a profit?
Probably not enough to cover what you paid for those rights.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 02:25:54 AM by chris319 »

SamJ93

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 06:29:04 PM »
Obviously complete season DVD sets of game shows are not feasible...but what about something like a "best-of" collection?  If the show is well-known enough, I could picture them selling at a relatively good rate.

A TPiR collection, for example, could include several different DVDs (released one at a time) with different themes--"The Funniest Bloopers," "The Early Years," "The Greatest Wins," etc.  They probably wouldn't even need to put entire episodes on the disc--maybe one or two complete eps. as a reference point, then for the rest just show the relevant clips with a brief introduction by Barker.

Package them with a couple extras--interviews with TPiR staff, maybe even that 12-minute pitch film with Dennis James--and it would work, IMHO.  Then again, maybe the fact that I think it's a good idea is the reason why I'm a lowly musician and not an entertainment executive.

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 06:23:51 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 01:46 PM\']

Last I heard, King World owns the syndication rights to "Branded" [/quote]
 I saw the set at Media Play today. There's a logo for King World on the back.