Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy rumours  (Read 11548 times)

digiblader

Jeopardy rumours
« on: June 15, 2004, 06:25:27 PM »
According to a rumour I read about at one of the other boards I heard that after Ken Jennings is finally defeated, the five-day limit that was previously around will be re-instated.

Is this true? Or is this gossip?

BTW, if true, this would be similar to when Tic Tac Dough got rid of the Secret Category because it doubled the pot, which Thom Mckee used heavily in one game to win $37K on one game, which eventually lead to his total of $312,700(cash and prizes).

(The $50K limit edited out of this message only applied to the WCBS days. I made an error there.)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 06:45:07 PM by digiblader »

LA the DJ

Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 06:32:45 PM »
I can't see why when this is theoretically just the big payoff for J canging the rules to begin with. It's getting the show noticed and bringing mainstream media attention now. Why on Earth prevent it from happening again?
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

inturnaround

Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 06:40:42 PM »
Yeah, that wouldn't make any sense at all. This is what they wanted, isn't it?

But here's me, foolishly thinking the world adheres to logic. It could very well be the case.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

digiblader

Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 06:41:27 PM »
Well, eventually the viewers are gonna get tired of him and the contestants, especially, are likely to get annoyed that they worked so hard, yet they only get $1000 or $2000 because Ken keeps beating them.

I do wish Jeopardy would find someone that can beat Ken Jennings.. instead of all these players who get clobbered by him.

I mean, someone's gotta be better than him at some subject on the show.

Look what happened to Thom McKee on Tic Tac Dough in his 43(or was it 44th) match when he tripped up on a question on Asia(I think, I'll have to double-check.), causing him to finally be defeated.

I'm not trying to be negative, but eventually someone's going to be better than Ken Jennings on J!.

zachhoran

Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 06:46:13 PM »
[quote name=\'digiblader\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 05:25 PM\']

BTW, if true, this would be similar to when Tic Tac Dough got rid of the Secret Category and put a $75,000(?) limit on winnings after Thom Mckee won that $312,700. [/quote]
 The Secret Category was a semi-regular feature on TTD through the 1982-83 season. The winnings limit was placed on TTD and TJW for the period in the early 80s where both aired on WCBS in NYC. Contestants winning over $50K saw their winnings donated to charity during this period($50K was the max winnings one could take home on a CBS game show at the time, hence they played by CBS rules when airing on WCBS).  TTD still allowed contestants to play until defeated(and all winnings over $50K were to be donated to charity), but TJW retired all one contestant who passed this mark during its run(syndie) on WCBS, Joe Dunn.

adamjk

Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 06:46:28 PM »
Well, eventually the viewers are gonna get tired of him and the contestants, especially, are likely to get annoyed that they worked so hard, yet they only get $1000 or $2000 because Ken keeps beating them.

I do wish Jeopardy would find someone that can beat Ken Jennings.. instead of all these players who get clobbered by him.

I mean, someone's gotta be better than him at some subject on the show.

Look what happened to Thom McKee on Tic Tac Dough in his 43(or was it 44th) match when he tripped up on a question on Asia(I think, I'll have to double-check.), causing him to finally be defeated.

I'm not trying to be negative, but eventually someone's going to be better than Ken Jennings on J!.

I don't think the viewers will necessarily tire of him. If anything this will make them watch the show more, just to see how far this guy will go. If I were you, I would just sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 06:48:13 PM by adamjk »

zachhoran

Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 06:47:30 PM »
[quote name=\'digiblader\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 05:41 PM\']

[/quote]
 It was a question about Candice Bergen(pre-Murphy Brown) that killed Thom in that game IIRC.

LA the DJ

Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 06:52:38 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 05:46 PM\'] [quote name=\'digiblader\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 05:25 PM\']

BTW, if true, this would be similar to when Tic Tac Dough got rid of the Secret Category and put a $75,000(?) limit on winnings after Thom Mckee won that $312,700. [/quote]

[/quote]
Since nobody else asked...How about some extraneous information about this "Secret Category" and this "winnings limit", oh, and let's throw in some info about TJW...

[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 05:25 PM\']
The Secret Category was a semi-regular feature on TTD through the 1982-83 season. The winnings limit was placed on TTD and TJW for the period in the early 80s where both aired on WCBS in NYC. Contestants winning over $50K saw their winnings donated to charity during this period($50K was the max winnings one could take home on a CBS game show at the time, hence they played by CBS rules when airing on WCBS).  TTD still allowed contestants to play until defeated(and all winnings over $50K were to be donated to charity), but TJW retired all one contestant who passed this mark during its run(syndie) on WCBS, Joe Dunn. [/quote]

Nevermind. -_-
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 06:52:55 PM by nWo_Whammy »
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 06:53:23 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 03:47 PM\'] [quote name=\'digiblader\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 05:41 PM\']

[/quote]
It was a question about Candice Bergen(pre-Murphy Brown) that killed Thom in that game IIRC. [/quote]
 Go outside, Zach. Really. There are people, real people, just like the ones you keep staring at on that screen. Maybe one of them will even like you.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2004, 06:57:44 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 05:53 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 03:47 PM\'] [quote name=\'digiblader\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 05:41 PM\']

[/quote]
It was a question about Candice Bergen(pre-Murphy Brown) that killed Thom in that game IIRC. [/quote]
Go outside, Zach. Really. There are people, real people, just like the ones you keep staring at on that screen. Maybe one of them will even like you. [/quote]
 And before he asks, Heidi Coynne and Condeleza Rice are taken.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

adamjk

Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2004, 07:02:33 PM »
Who is Heidi Coynne?

zachhoran

Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2004, 07:07:54 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 06:02 PM\'] Who is Heidi Coynne? [/quote]
 Heidi Cayn Friedman is who we mean, exec in charge of production at Stone-Stanley.

tvwxman

Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2004, 07:22:37 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 06:07 PM\'] [quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 06:02 PM\'] Who is Heidi Coynne? [/quote]
Heidi Cayn Friedman is who we mean, exec in charge of production at Stone-Stanley. [/quote]
 When we speak of "we" , Zach, often we are not including "you".

When "we" are suggesting you get out more, "You" are not part of us.

See above messages for an example.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2004, 09:51:43 PM »
[quote name=\'digiblader\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 05:25 PM\'] According to a rumour I read about at one of the other boards I heard that after Ken Jennings is finally defeated, the five-day limit that was previously around will be re-instated.

Is this true? Or is this gossip?

BTW, if true, this would be similar to when Tic Tac Dough got rid of the Secret Category because it doubled the pot, which Thom Mckee used heavily in one game to win $37K on one game, which eventually lead to his total of $312,700(cash and prizes).

(The $50K limit edited out of this message only applied to the WCBS days. I made an error there.) [/quote]
 http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=442
I'm no moderator, but maybe this will help.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

digiblader

Jeopardy rumours
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2004, 09:56:14 PM »
After double-checking, it turns out Candice Bergen, in the category "Women In Film", did cause Thom McKee's defeat on TTD.

Sorry for the error.

Anyway, at the rate of $34,000 per show(which is Ken Jenning's current average, if Ken lasts on Jeopardy! as long as Thom Mckee on TTD(45 shows), he will have a total of...

$1,530,000!!!

Boy, those people at Sony would be in a tizzy if that occurs, and I don't know if Alex Trebek will be able to handle it.

It would make him the richest player in syndicated history if it occurred.
Remember, this doesn't mean it will occur.

BTW, how much would Thom McKee's $312,700 on TTD be in current dollars??