Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ken Jennings?  (Read 3783 times)

GS Warehouse

Ken Jennings?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2004, 10:30:13 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 19 2004, 08:40 PM\'] [quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Jun 19 2004, 07:25 PM\'] How many more weeks to the end of season? [/quote]
Five weeks left, long enough for Ken to steamroll over 50 more opponents, unless a certain someone can do it on Monday. [/quote]
 I could just imagine this intro on the season premiere:

"And our returning champion, ... Ken Jennings, whose 37-day cash winnings total $1,295,158."

... and just like that, he loses game #38 on Labor Day.  If that does happen, which of these will best explain why:

A: An opponent finally dominates the way Ken does.
B: An agressive DD or FJ! backfires on Ken.
C: Ken is overwhelmed by the new logo gfx, which always changes with every new season. :-)

adamjk

Ken Jennings?
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2004, 11:45:52 PM »
I can make a safe bet, that B will likely not happen. For the most part Ken has played it pretty safe on DD's and FJ's. Could it happen? Yes. Will it? Don't count on it.

Red

Ken Jennings?
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2004, 12:00:39 AM »
I think he'll be nice and walk up to the Producers and ask to retire to give others a chance. He just seems like one of those nice guys. But I wouldn't see that happening till he passes 1,000,000.
-Paul Ford

RedGiant@toonzone.net

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Ken Jennings?
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2004, 01:05:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Red\' date=\'Jun 19 2004, 09:00 PM\'] I think he'll be nice and walk up to the Producers and ask to retire to give others a chance. He just seems like one of those nice guys. But I wouldn't see that happening till he passes 1,000,000. [/quote]
 I think if he does that, he's a fool. I also think it would take an unbelievable amount of hubris to walk up to the producers and say "I quit. You can't beat me."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Craig Karlberg

Ken Jennings?
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2004, 05:13:39 AM »
Considering that there's a win untill you lose rule in effect, why stop at $1M when he could go even higher than that?  After all, the sky's the limit on Jeopardy!  There's no telling where Ken Jennings' streak will end or how big his final total be but it's been fun so far & it only gets better from here on out.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Ken Jennings?
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2004, 06:53:23 AM »
[quote name=\'Red\' date=\'Jun 19 2004, 11:00 PM\'] I think he'll be nice and walk up to the Producers and ask to retire to give others a chance. He just seems like one of those nice guys. But I wouldn't see that happening till he passes 1,000,000. [/quote]
 "Hey, Ken, that's great!  See that clause in the contract you signed?  It says that if you don't fulfill your appearances, we don't have to pay you.  Thanks a lot, Sony was sweating it for a while there!"
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Ken Jennings?
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2004, 10:02:37 AM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' date=\'Jun 20 2004, 03:53 AM\'] "Hey, Ken, that's great!  See that clause in the contract you signed?  It says that if you don't fulfill your appearances, we don't have to pay you." [/quote]
 Do you know for a fact that this is in the Jeopardy! contestant release or are you jsut talking through your ass?

SplitSecond

Ken Jennings?
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2004, 10:46:45 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jun 20 2004, 07:02 AM\'] [quote name=\'parliboy\' date=\'Jun 20 2004, 03:53 AM\'] "Hey, Ken, that's great!  See that clause in the contract you signed?  It says that if you don't fulfill your appearances, we don't have to pay you." [/quote]
Do you know for a fact that this is in the Jeopardy! contestant release or are you jsut talking through your ass? [/quote]
 Looks like someone hasn't had his Ensure this morning.

Every contestant release I've ever seen, either as a contestant or as part of the production staff, has had a clause similar to what parliboy described, but with a lot more quid pro quos - even on shows without returning champions.

Parliboy made a reasonable assumption - one that can easily be verified by at least two people on this board.  That's far from talking out one's ass.  But hey, if the only thing that gets your rocks off on a Sunday morning is blithely discrediting someone, you've gotta take what you can get, I suppose.

Timsterino

Ken Jennings?
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2004, 03:04:09 PM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Jun 20 2004, 10:46 AM\'] [quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jun 20 2004, 07:02 AM\'] [quote name=\'parliboy\' date=\'Jun 20 2004, 03:53 AM\'] "Hey, Ken, that's great!  See that clause in the contract you signed?  It says that if you don't fulfill your appearances, we don't have to pay you." [/quote]
Do you know for a fact that this is in the Jeopardy! contestant release or are you jsut talking through your ass? [/quote]
Looks like someone hasn't had his Ensure this morning.

Every contestant release I've ever seen, either as a contestant or as part of the production staff, has had a clause similar to what parliboy described, but with a lot more quid pro quos - even on shows without returning champions.

Parliboy made a reasonable assumption - one that can easily be verified by at least two people on this board.  That's far from talking out one's ass.  But hey, if the only thing that gets your rocks off on a Sunday morning is blithely discrediting someone, you've gotta take what you can get, I suppose. [/quote]
 When I tried out for Hollywood Squares they mentioned this particular clause. They said if you taped on a Sunday and your five day run did not end, you would be required to come to the next taping date or possibly forfeit your winnings.

Maybe those who were contestants on Squares could elaborate.

Tim :-)