Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I guess the question should be asked...  (Read 3083 times)

starcade

I guess the question should be asked...
« on: June 19, 2004, 08:28:25 PM »
Well, I guess we should start a thread:

Where would you rate Ken Jennings in the best players of all-time...

-- on Jeopardy!?

-- and on all game shows?

davemackey

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 11:46:26 PM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Jun 19 2004, 08:28 PM\'] Well, I guess we should start a thread:

Where would you rate Ken Jennings in the best players of all-time...

-- on Jeopardy!?

-- and on all game shows? [/quote]
Well, gee. Ken's already won more games and more money than anyone else on "Jeopardy".... so you really want people to say that Chuck Forrest or Frank Spangenberg or even Myron Meyer (The Man Who) were better players than a man who's dominated practically every game he's been in?

This is like saying "how would you rank Hank Aaron among home-run hitters" - to debate it is pointless. You can look it up... he hit 755 of them. When the books are closed on Ken Jennings' already incredible run, then we can talk about how he rates.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 11:48:13 PM by davemackey »

Steve McClellan

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 12:15:05 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Jun 19 2004, 08:46 PM\'] [Asking where Jennings rates] is like saying "how would you rank Hank Aaron among home-run hitters" - to debate it is pointless. You can look it up... he hit 755 of them. [/quote]
 The debate wouldn't be pointless if everyone else were forced by rule to stop at five... :)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 12:59:20 AM »
It's hard to rate and compare people in something that's been on as long as Jeopardy, just as it's tough to compare, say, Shoeless Joe Jackson and Ken Griffey, Jr; different time, different game.

Who's better; the Fleming run champ who wins five games and $7,500, or someone from this year who wins 10 games and $150,000?  

If you were to look at the raw numbers; he's winning with about $35,000 a show, depending on various factors.  How many people in history won even five games, each at $17,500?  Not a whole lot.  Bob Blake's average is a dollar short, and there are precious few $80,000 and $90,000 winners, under the old rules.

You'll never get a definitive answer out of me, but Jennings is top five, maybe top three of Jeopardy players of the current run.  Easy.

-Travis
Travis L. Eberle

starcade

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2004, 05:27:39 PM »
Gameshowsteve gave the only real reason there is debate on this.

Chuck Forrest was pretty dominant in his day too.