Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Appearance limits that were instituted..  (Read 3883 times)

Don Howard

Appearance limits that were instituted..
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2004, 09:17:23 AM »
Was an appearance limit put in place overseas on 100% when someone came along and won for months and months? I thought I read in the archives somewhere (Ezboard, atgs, maybe here) that when this person got victory #75, out he or she went.

zachhoran

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2004, 09:34:50 AM »
[quote name=\'digiblader\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 10:21 PM\']

Caesar's Challenge: A 3-day limit was put in after a player won more than $50K on the show in the early parts of the run.

TTD'90(which we all hate): Ten-day limit instituted during the run(I think)

Press Your Luck: A "hard" 5-day limit was instituted in Nov 1st of 1984, along with the $50K limit.

Can anyone name any other shows that did it? I can't think of any others. [/quote]
 Whew! originally allowed contestants to stay until they won the Gauntlet, but at some point in the run they instituted a five game limit.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2004, 11:31:16 AM »
Whew! originally allowed contestants to stay until they won the Gauntlet, but at some point in the run they instituted a five game limit.

An educated guess here - I think it may have started with the first taping session after Howard Wilson's Gauntlet victory.

-Jason
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 11:31:26 AM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

GS Warehouse

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2004, 12:10:15 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Jun 17 2004, 11:31 AM\']

An educated guess here - I think it may have started with the first taping session after Howard Wilson's Gauntlet victory.

-Jason [/quote]
Drifting off the subject, but staying on Whew!: I assume that if you go to the Gauntlet for a second time (or more), the extra seconds were calculated based only winnings for the previous front game.  It could be my fuzzy memory (I was only 5 at the time), but I seem to remember a celeb-era team that took an 81-second clock to the Gauntlet.  [robot]Does not compute.[/robot]

What I wouldn't give for a time machine.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 12:10:35 PM by GS Warehouse »

tvrandywest

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2004, 01:00:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jun 16 2004, 11:54 PM\'] Too bad you won that Nissan Stanza, huh? [/quote]
It was a Sentra, and yes... if it had no tape player or floor mats and was just a bit cheaper I'd have gotten another day on the show!

Because the question of prizes comes up here regulaly I'll tell you the strange tale of the Sentra that never was. CBS assigned the cash value of the Sentra to the participating local dealer. I had always intended to add some cash of my own to get a spiffier car, but just for fun at the dealership I asked to see what the car I won looked like. Well, there was none!

Between the September 16th taping / September 30th airdate when the car was won, and the weeks needed to process all the paperwork necessary for me to go get my car, the new car model year had started. There wasn't any and there would never be a Sentra available at the "old" price that was in effect when the show taped. The only Sentras on the lot were priced higher reflecting the list prices of the new model year.

With a call from the dealership and another call from me, CBS graciously upped the value to what was necessary for me to take possession of "my" Sentra. I then wrote a smaller check when I upgraded. The dealership also handled Mercedes and Audis and was willing to apply the credit there, but advised me that the 190 "Baby-Cedes" was way overpriced simply for name value, and that the Audi would be in the shop as often as it would be in my garage.

I bought the most tricked-out Maxima they had, and loved it. I've bought Maximas ever since, despite the fact that car afficionado, car collector and all-around gearhead George Gray playfully humiliated me in front of the audience at "Weakest Link" for driving such a non-exotic car.   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 01:03:49 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2004, 01:04:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jun 17 2004, 03:55 AM\'] Hey now, be nice to Randy here.  After all, he has appeared in like 9 or 10 game shows.  I like him even though I never saw him in person.  Let's respect him for what he is. [/quote]
 You have got to be joking me.  Did you actually think I was trying to insult Randy?  Give me a break.  Now, OTOH, if you appeared on 9 gameshows; we'd be making fun of your sorry appearance on each one.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jay Temple

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2004, 12:42:38 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jun 17 2004, 11:10 AM\'] [quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Jun 17 2004, 11:31 AM\']
What I wouldn't give for a time machine. [/quote]
 Ditto.  Some people would like to go back an prevent the Kennedy assassination (okay, now it would be 9/11).  I just want to take a VCR with me and tape Pyramid.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

ChuckNet

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2004, 12:25:49 AM »
Getting back on-topic, nighttime Password originally had 2 contestants play for the entire show, but soon instituted a one-game limit after an Aug. 1962 ep where a contestant racked up over $1200, since anything over $1K made CBS nervous in those early post-scandal days.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")