Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Appearence Deceptions  (Read 2245 times)

grimmte

Appearence Deceptions
« on: June 22, 2004, 11:54:02 AM »
You know, it's amazing how incorrect and way-off you can be sometimes...

I've been around here and alt-tv-game-shows a long time. I don't post a lot, but I've been around. Over the years I've come across people who post quite a bit, of course. And of course, as I'm sure we all do, when you read posts by people who post quite a bit, you become familiar with their style of writing, etc, and that eventually leads you to creating an image in your head of what that person looks like.

I've never met Mr. Ottinger nor ever seen a picture of him so I was quite surprised when your profile came on the TV screen last night and I realized how incorrect my image of you was. I'm trying to stay honest here and at the same time not offend you or anyone else, but for some reason I pictured you being a lot younger. Maybe that's because I only know you from your posts, and I just make that assumption that everyone who posts here, myself included, haven't reached the age of 30 yet.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my thoughts. If I offended you with the implication that you're "old", I'm sorry...you can just call me extremely naive and stupid, and we'll call it even ok? :)

And as everyone else has already said, a great performance last night...it was very cool to see someone on a game show and say "I know who that guy is."

Todd

zachhoran

Appearence Deceptions
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 06:58:32 PM »
[quote name=\'grimmte\' date=\'Jun 22 2004, 10:54 AM\']
Anyway, I just wanted to share my thoughts. If I offended you with the implication that you're "old", I'm sorry...you can just call me extremely naive and stupid, and we'll call it even ok? :)

[/quote]
 I would definitely call Matt "wise beyond his 40-ish years"

Frank15

Appearence Deceptions
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 08:41:03 PM »
Oddly enough, before seeing him on Jeopardy! yesterday, I pictured Matt as a cartoon dog.  I don't know why:  I'm weird like that, I guess.

CarShark

Appearence Deceptions
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 08:55:30 PM »
I didn't recognize him either, and I have the privilege of seeing him every Saturday at 6:00 and 6:30! I don't think he looked quite as bald as he usually does.

HairMetalLives

Appearence Deceptions
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 09:02:54 PM »
[quote name=\'STYDfan\' date=\'Jun 22 2004, 07:55 PM\'] I don't think he looked quite as bald as he usually does. [/quote]
 I'm sure he'll be thrilled to hear that.

dzinkin

Appearence Deceptions
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 09:38:36 PM »
I knew what Matt looked like before I saw the show, but I'd never heard his voice.  It's different from what I expected -- enough that I'm having a difficult time "hearing" him make some of the comments he's shared with us.  Not odd, just different.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 09:38:47 PM by dzinkin »

aaron sica

Appearence Deceptions
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 09:47:13 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Jun 22 2004, 09:38 PM\'] I knew what Matt looked like before I saw the show, but I'd never heard his voice.  It's different from what I expected -- enough that I'm having a difficult time "hearing" him make some of the comments he's shared with us.  Not odd, just different. [/quote]
 I remarked to him at GSC4 that he had the voice of someone familiar, even another game show host, and I believe he named Bob Eubanks to me - and that is who I think he sounds like.

Fedya

Appearence Deceptions
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 11:21:58 PM »
I thought Matt's hair looked grayer than the last photo I saw of him on his website.  However, if he could get a little bushier hair, and dye it white, I think Matt could pass for Gavin MacLeod.  :eek:

I'm off to the Chamber Chamber....
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

dzinkin

Appearence Deceptions
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 11:27:12 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jun 22 2004, 09:47 PM\'] [quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Jun 22 2004, 09:38 PM\'] I knew what Matt looked like before I saw the show, but I'd never heard his voice.  It's different from what I expected -- enough that I'm having a difficult time "hearing" him make some of the comments he's shared with us.  Not odd, just different. [/quote]
I remarked to him at GSC4 that he had the voice of someone familiar, even another game show host, and I believe he named Bob Eubanks to me - and that is who I think he sounds like. [/quote]
 (goes back to the TiVo and checks)

Y'know, that *is* an uncanny resemblance.  But we need to be sure.

So... Matt, could you please record a WAV of yourself asking "Where was the weirdest place you made whoopee?" ;-)

DrBear

Appearence Deceptions
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 08:14:00 AM »
And, at 47, may I remind everyone that not all of us here are callow youth. It takes a lot of time to memorize this much trivia.

I believe that means Zach is 106. :)
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Matt Ottinger

Appearence Deceptions
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2004, 08:37:58 AM »
Now THIS is a thread I wasn't expecting!

Todd, there's no need to worry about offending me.  I completely understand what you mean.  I know what very few of you look like, and while I know that the general populace here is younger, that doesn't help with the specifics.

My office is in a high school, and one of the students who graduated this year left me with the message that I was the "coolest person over 25" that she knew.  Point being that I probably think (and write) younger that my years.  Still, I've made no secret of my age in this forum.

And yes, when I had a little more hair, even I though there was a resemblance between me and Bob Eubanks.  We're talking back in the Dream House/Trivia Trap era.

And if you're going to make a bald captain analogy, I'd prefer Patrick Stewart to Gavin MacLeod, thank you very much.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

gameshowguy2000

Appearence Deceptions
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2004, 11:29:54 AM »
I could recognize him right away.

ilb4ever2000

Appearence Deceptions
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2004, 03:53:32 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jun 22 2004, 08:47 PM\'] I remarked to him at GSC4 that he had the voice of someone familiar, even another game show host, and I believe he named Bob Eubanks to me - and that is who I think he sounds like. [/quote]
 I think he sounds more like Martindale than Eubanks.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Appearence Deceptions
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2004, 04:54:43 PM »
[quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'Jun 23 2004, 12:53 PM\'] I think he sounds more like Martindale than Eubanks. [/quote]
 I think it's that Tennessee twang that does that. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe