Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New GSN Series?  (Read 10430 times)

Thad Dixon

New GSN Series?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2004, 09:08:21 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Jun 23 2004, 08:04 PM\'] Or what would make appointment television:

Thady vs. Lemon-y. [/quote]
 Only if "Thady" WINS!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
New GSN Series?
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2004, 11:28:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Thad Dixon\' date=\'Jun 23 2004, 06:08 PM\'] [quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Jun 23 2004, 08:04 PM\'] Or what would make appointment television:

Thady vs. Lemon-y. [/quote]
Only if "Thady" WINS!! [/quote]
 Oh, the setups. The jokes I could make.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Clay Zambo

New GSN Series?
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2004, 02:15:51 PM »
Celebrity Checkers?

Seriously, though.  Much as I was delighted to see the Scrabble tournament on ESPN a couple months back, doesn't it belong on GSN?
czambo@mac.com

sshuffield70

New GSN Series?
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2004, 02:35:19 PM »
Not unless they talked Chucklehead into hosting it.

davemackey

New GSN Series?
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2004, 04:31:45 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Jun 23 2004, 01:23 PM\'] At GSCX two years ago, I came up with an idea for a game called Celebrity Poker.  The concept was having 52 celebrities, each dressed up in a foam costume representing one card in the deck, and playing poker with those human cards.  Unfortunately, liability was a big issue as shuffling the cards would've broken several spines.

"And here's Charles Nelson Reilly as the 4 of clubs!" [/quote]
 You must have missed it when Chuck Barris tried the same concept years earlier ("People Poker"). That's okay, though. I won't hold it against you.

Ian Wallis

New GSN Series?
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2004, 08:47:19 AM »
Celebrity Checkers?

How about "Celebrity Dominoes".  No wait....that's already been tried on Canadian television!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

sshuffield70

New GSN Series?
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2004, 09:17:09 AM »
Extreme Yawning?

CaseyAbell

New GSN Series?
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2004, 11:53:48 AM »
Interesting to compare the reaction here about Extreme Dodgeball to the reaction on the GSN boards. There's a lot of the same "Extreme Crap" stuff over there, but  a definite contrary opinion is getting into the threads.

Long long time ago I muttered (over here I think) that GSN might start pulling in some new viewers to its boards who could be more enthusiastic about non-traditional shows. Seems to have started.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 12:05:03 PM by CaseyAbell »

Jimmy Owen

New GSN Series?
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2004, 12:18:42 PM »
Are those robot-building shows still on or are they played out?  I was thinking those might be a possiblity for the new GSN.  I'm not a gigantic fan of them but they would be better than, say "Vegas Weddings."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

CaseyAbell

New GSN Series?
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2004, 01:22:18 PM »
Don't know about robot-building, but Travel Channel may be taking a cue from another (allegedly, though I disagree) non-traditional offering on GSN...Blackjack:

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/news/st...ews/719802.html

Travel Channel did one show from that million dollar tournament last year, before GSN ever debuted its blackjack series. Kinda interesting that TC is upping the commitment to four shows this year. Blackjack must be getting okay numbers by niche network standards.

I thought the Travel Channel show last year was too post-produced and human-interested. Didn't really concentrate enough on the gameplay, in my opinion. GSN mostly avoided that mistake in their first series.

Hope Ken gets into GSN's third blackjack series, anyway. He posted some interesting comments about the first series on the GSN board.

For a little more info on the Million Dollar Tournament and Travel Channel's plans for four shows in August...but beware there's a huge SPOILER:

http://www.blackjacktournaments.com/
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 01:38:05 PM by CaseyAbell »

HairMetalLives

New GSN Series?
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2004, 06:22:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 25 2004, 11:18 AM\'] Are those robot-building shows still on or are they played out? [/quote]
 Nick GaS plays their "Robot Wars" show on the weekends in reruns, but I THINK that might be the only one on right now (I'm not certian if they're others on).

I'm pretty sure robot building shows are cooked.

Michael Brandenburg

New GSN Series?
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2004, 07:46:15 PM »
World Series of Slots, eh?  I have an idea for World Series of Pinball, which I'll admit is downright goofy, but GSN just might be crazy enough to spring for it!

As for a couple of other "proposals" in this thread: There was on TV in the early 1960s a celebrity game show based on bridge!  It was called Championship Bridge and was played between teams of professional bridge players.

The show aired on ABC on Sunday afternoons and was hosted by newscaster Alex Drier, and none other than the famous bridge columnist Charles Goren was on hand to analyze the play.  The two celebrity teams played four hands of bridge (each team member getting one deal during the half-hour show), and scoring was in accordance with standard rubber bridge rules of that time.  The team getting the highest score during the program won the game and $500, with the other team receiving a consolation prize of $250.  There were also bonus cash awards for bidding and making slam contracts ($500 for a small slam; $1,000 for a grand slam.)

A lasting legacy of that program were the special decks of cards that had to be developed for it by the U.S. Playing Card Company.  They had to be small enough for the players to hold in their hands, but the markings on the cards had to be large enough to show up on home TV screens (and you know what they were like in the early 1960s!).  But the USPCC came through, and you can still buy those special cards they developed today wherever playing cards are sold.  (Just ask for "Bicycle Jumbo Index" playing cards!)

And would you believe there was a game show called All-Star Bingo in the late 1960s?  It aired in regional syndication in connection with local supermarket promotions, and you played it at home with game cards you got at your local supermarket.  (The Albers/Colonial Stores distributed them in the Greater Cincinnati area.)

On the actual program, two teams of celebrities competed in a question-and-answer game for score points, and every time either team scored, a set of random-number generators was activated to select five Bingo numbers for the home players -- one each under the letters B, I, N, G, and O.  Getting five of the selected numbers in a row on your home card won you a cash prize for that line (from $5 to $500), and if the winning team for that program matched the team mentioned on your game card, your prize was doubled.

(And a very similar game lives on today on America Online as Slingo!)

Michael Brandenburg
(Now for the Jeopardy question of the day: The answer is "Jason Smathers."  And what's the question?  "Who pilfered my AOL screen name and sold it to a whole lot of spammers??")

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
New GSN Series?
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2004, 08:30:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Michael Brandenburg\' date=\'Jun 25 2004, 04:46 PM\'] World Series of Slots, eh?  I have an idea for World Series of Pinball, which I'll admit is downright goofy, but GSN just might be crazy enough to spring for it!
 [/quote]
Playing pinball is fun. Watching people play pinball is not fun unless you are a pinball nut yourself.
and you can still buy those special cards they developed today wherever playing cards are sold.  (Just ask for "Bicycle Jumbo Index" playing cards!)
That is fascinating. I had no idea that's what they were designed for. I always assumed they were developed for elderly people with poor eyesight. (Which prolly would have been Celebrity Bridge's target audience, come to think of it.)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 08:30:28 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

HairMetalLives

New GSN Series?
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2004, 01:31:07 AM »
Here's a few more:

"The $100,000 Taffy Pull"
"Extreme Red Rover"
"Celebrity I-Spy"
"Celebrity Cow Tipping"

inturnaround

New GSN Series?
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2004, 02:49:44 AM »
[quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' date=\'Jun 25 2004, 06:22 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 25 2004, 11:18 AM\'] Are those robot-building shows still on or are they played out? [/quote]
Nick GaS plays their "Robot Wars" show on the weekends in reruns, but I THINK that might be the only one on right now (I'm not certian if they're others on).

I'm pretty sure robot building shows are cooked. [/quote]
 G4techTV still plays the original UK version of "Robot Wars".
Joe Coughlin     
Human