Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Clark Pyramid Cancellation question  (Read 2720 times)

cmjb13

Clark Pyramid Cancellation question
« on: June 13, 2004, 06:46:16 AM »
When the show was cancelled the first time was it really brought back due to viewer demand or was it just filler until Combs Feud debuted?

I've noticed when some shows come back after viewers write in about it and it gets cancelled the 2nd time, it never comes back again.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 07:27:21 AM »
The display ad in TV Guide said the return was due to viewer demand.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tvwxman

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 09:24:47 AM »
And yet, despite what the ad said, I'd tend to think it was filler....
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

TimK2003

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 09:57:33 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jun 13 2004, 08:24 AM\'] And yet, despite what the ad said, I'd tend to think it was filler.... [/quote]
 IIRC, Blackout was stictly to be used by CBS as *the* 13-week filler to bridge the gap between the end run of Pyramid & the premier of Family Feud.   However, Feud was not ready to go by the end of the Blackout run, and since they still had the Pyramid set in use for the syndie shows and Blackout was pretty much dissolved by then, they just pulled out Pyramid to fill in the remaining weeks.

tyshaun1

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2004, 10:49:21 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Jun 13 2004, 08:57 AM\'] [quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jun 13 2004, 08:24 AM\'] And yet, despite what the ad said, I'd tend to think it was filler.... [/quote]
IIRC, Blackout was stictly to be used by CBS as *the* 13-week filler to bridge the gap between the end run of Pyramid & the premier of Family Feud.   However, Feud was not ready to go by the end of the Blackout run, and since they still had the Pyramid set in use for the syndie shows and Blackout was pretty much dissolved by then, they just pulled out Pyramid to fill in the remaining weeks. [/quote]
 True, but wasn't Top Secret ready to go to air when CBS decided at the last minute to bring back Pyramid because of viewer protest? Albeit, Pyramid would have had to pull tremendous ratings to stay on the air, however.

Tyshaun

Don Howard

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2004, 02:42:33 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Jun 13 2004, 09:49 AM\'] [quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Jun 13 2004, 08:57 AM\'] [quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jun 13 2004, 08:24 AM\'] And yet, despite what the ad said, I'd tend to think it was filler.... [/quote]
IIRC, Blackout was stictly to be used by CBS as *the* 13-week filler to bridge the gap between the end run of Pyramid & the premier of Family Feud.   However, Feud was not ready to go by the end of the Blackout run, and since they still had the Pyramid set in use for the syndie shows and Blackout was pretty much dissolved by then, they just pulled out Pyramid to fill in the remaining weeks. [/quote]
True, but wasn't Top Secret ready to go to air when CBS decided at the last minute to bring back Pyramid because of viewer protest? Albeit, Pyramid would have had to pull tremendous ratings to stay on the air, however.

Tyshaun [/quote]
I just remember being really surprised when for many weeks after The $25,000 Pyramid's return in April 1988 and even for a bit in May, Dick Clark was continuing to thank the audience and CBS for bringing the show back. It did seem odd that thirteen weeks later, it was right back off the air. I was sure Card Sharks was going to be the one to get dumped seeing how I couldn't stand that version (which should've been enough incentive to can it--"Howard hates this show...we'll have to cancel it") and figured The Eye Network would just substitute one Mark Goodson Television Production program for another. Such is show biz.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 02:43:28 PM by Don Howard »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2004, 05:55:02 PM »
The fact that Dick's farewell was punched in suggests to me that the cancellation was a last-minute decision.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

ChuckNet

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 08:02:25 PM »
The fact that Dick's farewell was punched in suggests to me that the cancellation was a last-minute decision.

That and how Dick says, not a minute before, that the champion will be "coming back on Mon".

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Ian Wallis

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2004, 12:37:57 PM »

Brendan told me one time that he thought more episodes might have been taped beyond that July 1 CBS finale.  If there were, it's unfortunate that USA or GSN has never aired them.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 02:52:04 PM »
Well, to be quite honest... unless we can dig up a taping date for those last 5 shows that aired, the "second wind" of $25k Pyramid lasted 13 weeks, just like the show that replaced it, "Blackout".  I could be wrong, but I would tend to guess there would not be anymore episodes past this point, considering standard network orders come for 13 weeks... (and that's one of the few things that hasn't changed on TV nowadays ;-)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2004, 03:06:36 AM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Jun 22 2004, 01:52 PM\'] Well, to be quite honest... unless we can dig up a taping date for those last 5 shows that aired, the "second wind" of $25k Pyramid lasted 13 weeks, just like the show that replaced it, "Blackout".  I could be wrong, but I would tend to guess there would not be anymore episodes past this point, considering standard network orders come for 13 weeks... (and that's one of the few things that hasn't changed on TV nowadays ;-) [/quote]
 There are exceptions, however; such as Match Game '79; perhaps CBS expected more viewer demand on the 2nd go-round, and when it didn't appear; they axed it.
--Mark
Phil 4:13