Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MG-HS video  (Read 3035 times)

gsnstooge

MG-HS video
« on: June 26, 2004, 12:36:38 PM »
I got a Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour off Ebay and I can't tell you how happy I am!!!  Before you ban me from posting again and/or bash me with your own posts, let me tell you about the show.  I think Jon Bauman is the most underrated game show host of them all.  He is enthusiastic, fun to watch, and does a great job communicating with the contestants.  I think he also looks better in a suit than a jacket.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 08:22:35 PM by gsnstooge »

daveromanjr

MG-HS video
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2004, 12:42:19 PM »
Perhaps you should watch the episode I have.  Bauman is so cheesy and bland (word-for-word from the cue card is so obvious from him) that its borderline hilarious.  I should upload some of it so you can see...

whewfan

MG-HS video
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2004, 03:43:17 PM »
I suppose if you have never seen HS, and you come across Bauman's version, it might be enjoyable enough for the average viewer. However, some of us grew up watching Peter Marshall and the likes of Rose Marie, Wally Cox, Paul Lynde, Charley Weaver, and several other regulars.

The original HS (and in some ways, the recently cancelled HS) was much faster, and had sharper writing and celebs that (for the most part) knew when to shut up!
Both Marshall and Bergeron's versions could squeeze in a minimum of 15 questions per show (I've seen some eps. from the current run where they get in over 20)

The Goodson/Todman version of HS went to the beat of a different drum. Mark Goodson didn't believe in briefing the stars, and didn't supply anyone with "joke responses". So unfortunately, many of the celebs came off being very flat and gregarious. Also, NBC insisted on booking primarily stars from NBC shows, to promote their shows.

I recently got 3 eps. with Fred Travelena on the panel, and it's a perfect display of how bad Jon Bauman was at controlling the stars. In each ep, Fred interrupted gameplay with very unfunny and painful to watch "comedy routines" with his impersonations, and Arsenio Hall joined in!  Worse, it looked like these routines were "re-inserted" because the game ran a little short. They could've easily used up that time to fit in more questions!

gsnstooge

MG-HS video
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2004, 04:12:50 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jun 26 2004, 02:43 PM\'] I suppose if you have never seen HS, and you come across Bauman's version, it might be enjoyable enough for the average viewer. However, some of us grew up watching Peter Marshall and the likes of Rose Marie, Wally Cox, Paul Lynde, Charley Weaver, and several other regulars.

The original HS (and in some ways, the recently cancelled HS) was much faster, and had sharper writing and celebs that (for the most part) knew when to shut up!
Both Marshall and Bergeron's versions could squeeze in a minimum of 15 questions per show (I've seen some eps. from the current run where they get in over 20)

The Goodson/Todman version of HS went to the beat of a different drum. Mark Goodson didn't believe in briefing the stars, and didn't supply anyone with "joke responses". So unfortunately, many of the celebs came off being very flat and gregarious. Also, NBC insisted on booking primarily stars from NBC shows, to promote their shows.

I recently got 3 eps. with Fred Travelena on the panel, and it's a perfect display of how bad Jon Bauman was at controlling the stars. In each ep, Fred interrupted gameplay with very unfunny and painful to watch "comedy routines" with his impersonations, and Arsenio Hall joined in!  Worse, it looked like these routines were "re-inserted" because the game ran a little short. They could've easily used up that time to fit in more questions! [/quote]
 I watched John Davidson's version both from originial run and USA repeats and I liked it.

joshg

MG-HS video
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2004, 04:32:00 PM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Jun 26 2004, 08:36 AM\']I got a Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour off Ebay and I can't tell you how happy I am!!!  Before you ban me from posting again and/or bash me with your own posts, let me tell you about the show.  I think Jon Bauman is the most underrated game show host of them all.  He is enthusiastic and fun to watch, especially when communicating with the contestants.[/quote]
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=6301223512

Good for you! I can think of spending $127.50 on other things than a tape of low-quality dubbed game shows, but if you have the money...

Thanks for supporting the slightly illegal trade of selling game show tapes and DVDs!
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

Jimmy Owen

MG-HS video
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2004, 04:44:35 PM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Jun 26 2004, 03:32 PM\'] [quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Jun 26 2004, 08:36 AM\']I got a Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour off Ebay and I can't tell you how happy I am!!!  Before you ban me from posting again and/or bash me with your own posts, let me tell you about the show.  I think Jon Bauman is the most underrated game show host of them all.  He is enthusiastic and fun to watch, especially when communicating with the contestants.[/quote]

Good for you! I can think of spending $127.50 on other things than a tape of low-quality dubbed game shows, but if you have the money...

Thanks for supporting the slightly illegal trade of selling game show tapes and DVDs! [/quote]
 Selling game show tapes is illegal? No wonder I don't see them at Best Buy.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

joshg

MG-HS video
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2004, 04:51:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 26 2004, 12:44 PM\']Selling game show tapes is illegal? No wonder I don't see them at Best Buy.[/quote]
If the powers that be release the recent "Game Show Moments" specials on VHS and DVD, you'd see them at Best Buy because they went through the proper channels and obtained licensing agreements. If gsnstooge made a dub of his tape he bought off eBay and turned around and sold that on eBay, I highly doubt that he obtained the licensing rights, no matter what he tells you.

What, they don't sell the 'Starcade' DVDs at Best Buy? I'm shocked and appalled!

Josh

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
MG-HS video
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2004, 05:02:29 PM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Jun 26 2004, 01:32 PM\'] Good for you! I can think of spending $127.50 on other things than a tape of low-quality dubbed game shows, but if you have the money...
 [/quote]
 Wow. That's magic. That makes me think back to those older Looney Toons cartoons where the guy's head is replaced with a great big sucker on a stick... :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

gsnstooge

MG-HS video
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2004, 05:13:40 PM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Jun 26 2004, 03:32 PM\'] [quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Jun 26 2004, 08:36 AM\']I got a Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour off Ebay and I can't tell you how happy I am!!!  Before you ban me from posting again and/or bash me with your own posts, let me tell you about the show.  I think Jon Bauman is the most underrated game show host of them all.  He is enthusiastic and fun to watch, especially when communicating with the contestants.[/quote]

Thanks for supporting the slightly illegal trade of selling game show tapes and DVDs! [/quote]
 I'm HORRIBLY sorry, but I didn't know the tape selling off Ebay was slightly illegal, otherwise, had I known, I would NEVER have posted this.

joshg

MG-HS video
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2004, 05:14:30 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 26 2004, 01:02 PM\']Wow. That's magic. That makes me think back to those older Looney Toons cartoons where the guy's head is replaced with a great big sucker on a stick... :)[/quote]
But wait... someone has just got to buy this... since none of us have ever seen all of these fantastic clips in one place:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...4020974949&rd=1

Gee, I wish I someone would put together a "Poker Game" highlights tape and sell it on eBay... my day would be made!

Josh

HairMetalLives

MG-HS video
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2004, 05:17:03 PM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Jun 26 2004, 03:12 PM\'] I watched John Davidson's version both from originial run and USA repeats and I liked it. [/quote]
 That's my favorite version, as well. But maybe that's just because I am an 80s child.

BrandonFG

MG-HS video
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2004, 05:22:59 PM »
[quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' date=\'Jun 26 2004, 04:17 PM\'] [quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Jun 26 2004, 03:12 PM\'] I watched John Davidson's version both from originial run and USA repeats and I liked it. [/quote]
That's my favorite version, as well. But maybe that's just because I am an 80s child. [/quote]
 It was OK, but from what I remember, Davidson didn't have much control over the panel either. From the clips I've seen on the GS specials, it had just a few too many gimmicks, thus making it a bit corny. Keep it simple.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

PeterMarshallFan

MG-HS video
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2004, 05:22:59 PM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Jun 26 2004, 05:14 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 26 2004, 01:02 PM\']Wow. That's magic. That makes me think back to those older Looney Toons cartoons where the guy's head is replaced with a great big sucker on a stick... :)[/quote]
But wait... someone has just got to buy this... since none of us have ever seen all of these fantastic clips in one place:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...4020974949&rd=1

Gee, I wish I someone would put together a "Poker Game" highlights tape and sell it on eBay... my day would be made!

Josh [/quote]
 I haven't heard of some of these---when did Gene dance to Stayin' Alive? I don't remember this at all....

clemon79

MG-HS video
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2004, 05:25:20 PM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Jun 26 2004, 02:14 PM\'] But wait... someone has just got to buy this... since none of us have ever seen all of these fantastic clips in one place:

[/quote]
 Wow. I am clearly in the wrong business.

clemon79

MG-HS video
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2004, 05:26:40 PM »
[quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' date=\'Jun 26 2004, 02:17 PM\'] That's my favorite version, as well. But maybe that's just because I am an 80s child. [/quote]
 I dunno. I grew up in the 80's, too, and I knew crap when I saw it.