Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mike Rielly questions  (Read 5424 times)

J.R.

Mike Rielly questions
« on: June 28, 2004, 07:55:51 PM »
These are borne of pure curisoity:

1: When did Mike Reilly appear on "Jeopardy!" and how much did he win ? (I know he was a 5-time undefeated champion)

2: Do any of his "J!" apperances exist on tape ?

3: Is he still alive and did he do any form of media after the raging success of "Monopoly" ?

4: Seriously, how on earth did he get the Monopoly gig anyway ?

Thanks !
-Joe R.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 07:57:12 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

Jimmy Owen

Mike Rielly questions
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 08:53:21 PM »
Merv often took chances with first time hosts.  Art Fleming, Bill Mazer, Chuck Woolery, Pat Sajak, Rolf B, Amazing Jonathan, Mike. Sometimes it works.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Mike Rielly questions
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 09:33:35 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Jun 28 2004, 04:55 PM\'] 4: Seriously, how on earth did he get the Monopoly gig anyway ?
 [/quote]
 The way I heard the story, he was called in to help as a test contestant with run throughs, and Merv was hosting. After they played a while, Merv said "I wanna play. Michael, why don't you and I switch places for fun." And apparently he was good, and Merv decided he was the man for the gig.

Now, maybe that's apocryphal, but that's the way I heard it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tyshaun1

Mike Rielly questions
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 10:52:36 PM »
Speaking of which, whatever happened to Peter Tomarken and "Monopoly" anyway? IIRC, he was the King brothers' choice and hosted the pilot (and from what Brian posted awhile back, did a decent job), but what happened between pilot and series?

Tyshaun

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Mike Rielly questions
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 11:05:48 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Jun 28 2004, 09:52 PM\'] Speaking of which, whatever happened to Peter Tomarken and "Monopoly" anyway? IIRC, he was the King brothers' choice and hosted the pilot (and from what Brian posted awhile back, did a decent job), but what happened between pilot and series?

Tyshaun [/quote]
 Peter Tomarken, IIRC was set to be the host in syndication. Stations were smart, didn't buy the show, and Peter [declined or was replaced] the hosting role.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

tyshaun1

Mike Rielly questions
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 11:10:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jun 28 2004, 10:05 PM\'] [quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Jun 28 2004, 09:52 PM\'] Speaking of which, whatever happened to Peter Tomarken and "Monopoly" anyway? IIRC, he was the King brothers' choice and hosted the pilot (and from what Brian posted awhile back, did a decent job), but what happened between pilot and series?

Tyshaun [/quote]
Peter Tomarken, IIRC was set to be the host in syndication. Stations were smart, didn't buy the show, and Peter [declined or was replaced] the hosting role. [/quote]
 True, but that was my question. Did he quit or was he fired? And yes, I have heard the pilot overall sucked, with some midget playing Uncle Pennybags.

Tyshaun

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Mike Rielly questions
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 11:14:13 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Jun 28 2004, 10:10 PM\'] And yes, I have heard the pilot overall sucked, with some midget playing Uncle Pennybags.
 [/quote]
Now you've piqued my curiosity. Can you (or anyone else) expound some more on that?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 11:14:23 PM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

SplitSecond

Mike Rielly questions
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2004, 11:15:53 PM »
Mike Reilly was indeed a contestant, not only for run-throughs, but on the Monopoly pilot that Peter hosted.

I don't know what happened between the pilot and the series, but one clue may have been in the fact that the pilot was shot for five-a-week syndication purposes.  Someone at ABC may not have liked Tomarken or might have been told they didn't like Tomarken because the focus groups didn't like him.

In fact, this scenario seems plausible, if not based in fact: the typical self-appointed outspoken "leader" of a focus group expressed her disinterest in Tomarken as a host, said as a matter of hyperbole, "That contestant could host that show better!", and suddenly the ABC executives behind the two-way mirror, mutter, nod, and run with it.  Voila.  A star is born.

WorldClassRob

Mike Rielly questions
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 10:24:17 AM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Jun 28 2004, 10:15 PM\'] Mike Reilly was indeed a contestant, not only for run-throughs, but on the Monopoly pilot that Peter hosted.

I don't know what happened between the pilot and the series, but one clue may have been in the fact that the pilot was shot for five-a-week syndication purposes.  Someone at ABC may not have liked Tomarken or might have been told they didn't like Tomarken because the focus groups didn't like him.

In fact, this scenario seems plausible, if not based in fact: the typical self-appointed outspoken "leader" of a focus group expressed her disinterest in Tomarken as a host, said as a matter of hyperbole, "That contestant could host that show better!", and suddenly the ABC executives behind the two-way mirror, mutter, nod, and run with it.  Voila.  A star is born. [/quote]
 I sort of wonder if the animocity between ABC and Tomarken (if there is any to begin with) has anything to do with Bargain Hunters, and Peter's true thoughts about that game show.  hehe...

Reilly did a pretty good job I thought.  Instead of going after a veteran host who was not working at the time (e.g. Perry, Lange, Martindale, Edwards), take a chance on a newcomer, like Griffin has done in the past with Woolery and Sajak.

I don't know about you, but I liked the format.  When I heard that Monopoly was going to be turned into a game show, my one thought was, "something Reg Grundy Productions would pull off like they did with Scrabble".  

Of course that wasn't the case.

tyshaun1

Mike Rielly questions
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 11:00:55 AM »
That's actually a good point. Peter did have a falling out with Merill Heatter over Bargain Hunters, maybe that carried over to ABC as well. That could lead to another question: Which host has gone on record as saying they hated a show they hosted? I do know that Geoff Edwards said he thought "Hollywood's Talking" stunk, and Bob Eubanks said he thought "Trivia Trap" and "Dream House" were doomed to fail. Are there any others?

Tyshaun

dzinkin

Mike Rielly questions
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2004, 11:10:17 AM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 11:00 AM\'] That's actually a good point. Peter did have a falling out with Merill Heatter over Bargain Hunters, maybe that carried over to ABC as well. That could lead to another question: Which host has gone on record as saying they hated a show they hosted? I do know that Geoff Edwards said he thought "Hollywood's Talking" stunk, and Bob Eubanks said he thought "Trivia Trap" and "Dream House" were doomed to fail. Are there any others? [/quote]
 Gene Rayburn called Break the Bank '85 "an unfortunate experience" and also criticized MG/HS...

http://www.chris-lambert.com/MG/Conv.html

JamesVipond

Mike Rielly questions
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2004, 12:41:06 PM »
Tyshaun1, I was told that Patty Maloney wore the costume of Rich Uncle Pennybags in the Monopoly pilot. Never having seen the pilot, though, I wasn't aware that Mike Reilly was one of the contestants before he became the host.

Given the fact that Patty was once a guest on Merv's talk show and worked on the animated Little Rascals series, I thought she would have been the ideal host for a children's version of Jeopardy!. For some reason unknown to me, Columbia-TriStar wouldn't have her.

Patty's Forgotten Work
"He has big eyes ... and they're BLUE!"

-- a boy describing Bill Cullen on Child's Play

ChuckNet

Mike Rielly questions
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2004, 12:47:05 PM »
Given the fact that Patty was once a guest on Merv's talk show and worked on the animated Little Rascals series, I thought she would have been the ideal host for a children's version of Jeopardy!. For some reason unknown to me, Columbia-TriStar wouldn't have her.

I think it takes more than just a single talk show appearance and some obscure VO work to make a good host...besides, most kids' game shows feature young guys that are often barely into their 20s as host, as was the case w/Bob Bergen, who wound up hosting Jep!.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

aaron sica

Mike Rielly questions
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2004, 01:21:34 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Jun 28 2004, 11:10 PM\'] And yes, I have heard the pilot overall sucked, with some midget playing Uncle Pennybags.

Tyshaun [/quote]
 When the idea of the midget didn't make it to show, do you think the midget was....

...a little ticked?
;)

zachhoran

Mike Rielly questions
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2004, 06:51:01 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Jun 29 2004, 10:00 AM\'] Bob Eubanks said he thought "Trivia Trap" and "Dream House" were doomed to fail. Are there any others?

[/quote]
 EUbanks mentioned DIamond Head Game being "a turkey" once on 80s Card Sharks.