Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ken Jennings: Syndication's new Thom McKee  (Read 4232 times)

johnnya2k3

Ken Jennings: Syndication's new Thom McKee
« on: July 01, 2004, 04:51:27 AM »
I'm sure some of you have refrained from watching Jeopardy! for the time being, because Ken Jennings' reign of terror continues with no end in sight...for now.

24 years ago, it was like this when Thom McKee accumulated $312,700 on Tic Tac Dough. Unlike today (and we've talked about this over a BILLION times), all of America didn't see it at the same time because syndicated shows prior to satellite distribution were sent by mail to stations. And no stations here in Alaska never showed TTD or Joker's Wild because network fare was weeks behind the Lower 48, and there was not much first-run syndie fare until satellites came along in the mid-'80s.

Right now, Jennings is approaching the $700,000 mark, and who knows when the madness will end. I'm predicting before November sweeps, or unless the J! powers-that-be could think up of even tougher categories that'd be impossible for Ken to tackle.

After this is over, maybe they can give him a job as researcher just like Jack Berry did to Frank Dillon on TJW.

Jonathan Allen

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 04:11:12 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 03:51 AM\'] After this is over, maybe they can give him a job as researcher just like Jack Berry did to Frank Dillon on TJW.
 [/quote]
 I have a feeling Sony's not paying Ken any more than they have to. :-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Skynet74

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 04:29:15 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 03:51 AM\'] I'm sure some of you have refrained from watching Jeopardy! for the time being, because Ken Jennings' reign of terror continues with no end in sight...for now.

24 years ago, it was like this when Thom McKee accumulated $312,700 on Tic Tac Dough. Unlike today (and we've talked about this over a BILLION times), all of America didn't see it at the same time because syndicated shows prior to satellite distribution were sent by mail to stations. And no stations here in Alaska never showed TTD or Joker's Wild because network fare was weeks behind the Lower 48, and there was not much first-run syndie fare until satellites came along in the mid-'80s.

Right now, Jennings is approaching the $700,000 mark, and who knows when the madness will end. I'm predicting before November sweeps, or unless the J! powers-that-be could think up of even tougher categories that'd be impossible for Ken to tackle.

After this is over, maybe they can give him a job as researcher just like Jack Berry did to Frank Dillon on TJW.

Jonathan Allen [/quote]

I read an article not to long ago that said he finally lost and was now back home. So the reign eventually ends. But who knows how many more shows were already taped before that interview? It's anybody's guess. I personally don't see him hitting a Million...... but I'll be watching for sure if it looks like he will. The guy is almost unstoppable. He must of done something really dumb to finally lose. Anxious to see what it was.

John

inturnaround

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 05:42:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 04:29 PM\'] I read an article not to long ago that said he finally lost and was now back home. So the reign eventually ends. But who knows how many more shows were already taped before that interview? It's anybody's guess. I personally don't see him hitting a Million...... but I'll be watching for sure if it looks like he will. The guy is almost unstoppable. He must of done something really dumb to finally lose. Anxious to see what it was.

John [/quote]
 While he is apparently home, that doesn't mean he's been dethroned. Jeopardy! is on a taping hiatus from what I understand and that would mean that Ken gets a vacation from his new temp job as Jeopardy! champ if he is still the champion.

But "must have done something really dumb to finally lose"? Talk about tugging on Superman's cape. You don't spit into the wind. You don't pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger and you don't mess around with Ken. Why couldn't he have just lost a hard-fought game? It's come close once or twice before. I mean, he's going to be beaten one of these days, I just don't think it has to be his fault. It could just be that someone was just better on that day.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Skynet74

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 12:20:17 AM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 04:42 PM\']
While he is apparently home, that doesn't mean he's been dethroned. [/quote]

No... Like the article said.... He Finally LOST and now he's back home. But I do agree the loss may of not been a dumb one. We'll have to wait and see.

John

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 01:11:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 11:20 PM\'] No... Like the article said.... He Finally LOST and now he's back home. But I do agree the loss may of not been a dumb one. We'll have to wait and see.
 [/quote]
 How do you know, John?  Only because the article said so?

Brandon Brooks

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 02:07:24 AM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 10:11 PM\'] How do you know, John?  Only because the article said so?
 [/quote]
 I just want to take a moment to point out that most of us didn't need to read an article to conclude that "the reign eventually ends". We pretty much figured that one out on our own.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvrandywest

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2004, 02:37:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Jul 1 2004, 08:20 PM\'] No... Like the article said.... He Finally LOST and now he's back home. But I do agree the loss may of not been a dumb one. We'll have to wait and see. [/quote]
 What article are you referencing? Can you post at least the relevant parts? I know not to believe everything I read, and to believe even less about what I haven't read.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2004, 03:02:32 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 01:07 AM\'] I just want to take a moment to point out that most of us didn't need to read an article to conclude that "the reign eventually ends". We pretty much figured that one out on our own. [/quote]
 But how did you conclude that?  Isn't J! on a summer taping hiatus?

Brandon Brooks

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2004, 03:05:15 AM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 12:02 AM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 01:07 AM\'] I just want to take a moment to point out that most of us didn't need to read an article to conclude that "the reign eventually ends". We pretty much figured that one out on our own. [/quote]
But how did you conclude that?  Isn't J! on a summer taping hiatus?

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
 Dude, are you serious?

Because the other option to the reign ending is that Ken is Jeopardy Champion for the REST OF TIME.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2004, 03:15:56 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 02:05 AM\'] Dude, are you serious?

Because the other option to the reign ending is that Ken is Jeopardy Champion for the REST OF TIME. [/quote]
 I want to know how John knows that Ken is not champion anymore.  You're telling me that it has to end at some point.  That has nothing to do with what I asked.  So, is there proof that states that his reign has ended as of the most recent tape date?  And why does this question seem dumb to you?

Brandon Brooks

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2004, 04:58:22 AM »
At least we know 2 things & a possibility:

1.  Ken's reign as champ ends somehow, someway.

2.  J! is currently on summer break(taping wise) at least as far as we know.

The only possibility is that J! may start Season 21 with its T of C.  That's the only thing to me that's uncertain right now.

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2004, 05:21:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 04:58 AM\'] 1.  Ken's reign as champ ends somehow, someway. [/quote]
 You don't say?

pacdude

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2004, 08:03:29 AM »
Since no one has posted the article or a link to it, might as well take the initiative.

Here are some articles that mention that "Ken's reign is over."

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/livin.../9011825.htm?1c

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/LondonFreePr.../24/511681.html

(Looking through these posts, one newspaper said Ken looked like a 'male version of a Stepford wife.' I found that amusing.)

tvrandywest

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2004, 08:13:14 AM »
[quote name=\'pacdude\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 04:03 AM\'] Since no one has posted the article or a link to it, might as well take the initiative.

Here are some articles that mention that "Ken's reign is over."

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/livin.../9011825.htm?1c

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/LondonFreePr.../24/511681.html

(Looking through these posts, one newspaper said Ken looked like a 'male version of a Stepford wife.' I found that amusing.) [/quote]
 Thanks Pacdude. I only accessed one of the two because I'm too lazy to register to access the other.

>>Jennings' streak may be over but viewers may not realize it. Episodes featuring him were taped in February and Jennings is back home in Utah and refusing comment. <<

Sorry, but that does not say to me that he finally lost. I guess we'll all know if he spills the beans at GSC3 (yes, he's scheduled to attend, but will almost certainly not answer that question) or when we tune in come September and he's still there.

Randy
tvrandywest
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com