Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Card Sharks 1978 opening  (Read 6643 times)

Card Shark

Card Sharks 1978 opening
« on: July 02, 2004, 10:15:27 PM »
The opening sequence of the 1978 version was pre-taped and used at the beginning of each show. My quesion regarding the opening has to do with the theme music. Was the theme music played from the video tape that contained the opening shots or was it magically synched from the audio tracks in the studio to go with the opening shots? I hope I worded this clearly. I have been on and off of airplanes all day, so my head isn't too clear (like it ever is!).
Adam Strom

sshuffield70

Card Sharks 1978 opening
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 11:38:56 PM »
Well, they already had this down when "Double Dare" aired, since it had the same opening (different musical part but the same four part flashing open).

I assume the video was synched to audio.

GS Warehouse

Card Sharks 1978 opening
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 11:44:48 PM »
It seems to me like those shots of the CS neon sign look like they're taken from different camera angles.  Was it possible to show the same shot in all four "squares" or not?

ObGameShowsWithTheSameTheme: I never saw Double Dare.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Card Sharks 1978 opening
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004, 04:20:46 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 08:44 PM\'] It seems to me like those shots of the CS neon sign look like they're taken from different camera angles.  Was it possible to show the same shot in all four "squares" or not?
 [/quote]
 You may rest assured they didn't use four cameras to set that up. They shot the board ONE time, and the rest was done with effects boxes.
[quote name=\'"Card Shark\' date=\' Jul 2 2004, 07:15 PM"\']Was the theme music played from the video tape that contained the opening shots [/quote]
There is no "magic" going on in a TV studio. I'm sure the main theme came off of that tape. Wood's read of the opening poem was prolly done live, tho.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Craig Karlberg

Card Sharks 1978 opening
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2004, 05:00:05 AM »
I can tell the diffrence between the openning to CS to that of the original DD with Alex Trebek though I haven't seen that show in years.

The effect of the CS logo on 4 squares is an example of what I call a "double-split" effect.  In this case, instead of the screen being spit into 2 parts, it was split into 4 parts, hence the 4 CS logos.

clemon79

Card Sharks 1978 opening
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2004, 02:01:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jul 3 2004, 02:00 AM\'] The effect of the CS logo on 4 squares is an example of what I call a "double-split" effect.  In this case, instead of the screen being spit into 2 parts, it was split into 4 parts, hence the 4 CS logos. [/quote]
 Thank you for that analysis. Wow.

Card Shark

Card Sharks 1978 opening
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2004, 07:54:11 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 3 2004, 04:20 AM\']
There is no "magic" going on in a TV studio. [/quote]
 Wow, ain't that the truth. I worked in television as a camera man for three months (in a small short step above public access cable station) and can attest to your post. There's no magic in being yelled at by some shmuck of a director as to how incorrect the angle is.
Adam Strom

rmfromfla

Card Sharks 1978 opening
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2004, 09:10:23 PM »
If anyone has a tape of the special "50 Years at Television City" from
  May, 2002,  that has a clip from the opening of "Double Dare".....

Ian Wallis

Card Sharks 1978 opening
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2004, 02:07:20 PM »
The effect of the CS logo on 4 squares is an example of what I call a "double-split" effect. In this case, instead of the screen being spit into 2 parts, it was split into 4 parts, hence the 4 CS logos.

Close...it's actually called a "quad split".  It's an effect which can be done through the switcher, a DVE and videotape.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

sshuffield70

Card Sharks 1978 opening
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2004, 04:07:02 PM »
Well, I knew it was a switcher effect.....problem is......it's been years since I've been in college......and I didn't end up in broadcasting..........

ChuckNet

Card Sharks 1978 opening
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2004, 07:03:02 PM »
Close...it's actually called a "quad split". It's an effect which can be done through the switcher, a DVE and videotape.

And besides Perry CS, it was also used for the opening of The New Treasure Hunt after its 1st season, as well as the 80s revival.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

mystery7

Card Sharks 1978 opening
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2004, 08:42:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jul 5 2004, 02:07 PM\'] Close...it's actually called a "quad split".  It's an effect which can be done through the switcher, a DVE and videotape. [/quote]
 Switcher and tape, yes, but did they even have DVE boxes in 1978? Blockbusters in 1980 was the first thing I remember that definitely used one (the board squeezing down to bottom center and back out). Face The Music's "flip" intro may have been done with a DVE too, hence no budget for anything else on the show.

clemon79

Card Sharks 1978 opening
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2004, 09:32:41 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Jul 5 2004, 05:42 PM\'] Face The Music's "flip" intro may have been done with a DVE too, hence no budget for anything else on the show. [/quote]
 You'd also need it to do some of the transitions between the Famous Faces in the first round of FTM, too.

On just a switcher, you're gonna have a plethora of wipe patterns, some fades, and a keyer. Now, I'm thinking a clever editor could put together the CS open in a few passes just using the horizontal and vertical wipes, but it would be irritating and to my mind not worth the trouble. So I'm guessing a DVE is involved in there, which would make it a one-shot deal.

adamjk

Card Sharks 1978 opening
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2004, 10:28:05 PM »
I imagine those syndie Match Game promos famous for switching the celeb's faces around were done with DVE as well?

mystery7

Card Sharks 1978 opening
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2004, 11:12:48 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jul 5 2004, 10:28 PM\'] I imagine those syndie Match Game promos famous for switching the celeb's faces around were done with DVE as well? [/quote]
 Doubtful. Remember, MG was mostly done before DVEs were commonplace, and CBS was pretty ol' skool equipment-wise 'til about 1984 when they totally rebuit Television City. The "faces" effect was done by a switcher keying three separate camera shots on top of each other. The '90 version was definitely DVE'd.

And for the answer to your next question, the different shots of each star on the "spinner" at the open and close of MG were executed simply by well-timed cuts from one camera to another. The shots were chroma-keyed over the blue surfaces on the spinner.