Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Card Sharks 1978 opening  (Read 6642 times)

uncamark

Card Sharks 1978 opening
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2004, 12:56:08 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Jul 5 2004, 07:42 PM\'][quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jul 5 2004, 02:07 PM\'] Close...it's actually called a "quad split".  It's an effect which can be done through the switcher, a DVE and videotape. [/quote]
Switcher and tape, yes, but did they even have DVE boxes in 1978? Blockbusters in 1980 was the first thing I remember that definitely used one (the board squeezing down to bottom center and back out). Face The Music's "flip" intro may have been done with a DVE too, hence no budget for anything else on the show.[/quote]
DVEs first came out in 1977, but I don't recall the entertainment studios at the networks getting them until a few years later.  My guess is that the "CS" opening was Quad Sync.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Card Sharks 1978 opening
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2004, 03:26:09 PM »
From what I read, ABC had the first, if not one of the earliest, Quantel boxes back in 1976. I don't want to say right off the bat that "Feud" used it for Fast Money, though, since they could have used a rectangle transition and positioned it over the other side of the board.

>> Face The Music's "flip" intro may have been done with a DVE too, hence no budget for anything else on the show.
The flip effect can probably be done as a regular transition on a switcher, but I'm not 100% sure. In addition, I'd think that if there was a DVE box anywhere at KTLA or KTTV, it was in their news studio. As for the lack of budget, I'd blame it on the "Sandy Frank Presents" animation at the beginning...:) Those old-school computer graphics had to have cost big bucks back then.

>> I imagine those syndie Match Game promos famous for switching the celeb's faces around were done with DVE as well?
Nope. They just stopped in the middle of a diamond transition [similar to the one seen in the CS 78 opening] so that we just saw the other celebrity's mouth.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Card Sharks 1978 opening
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2004, 03:48:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' date=\'Jul 6 2004, 12:26 PM\'] The flip effect can probably be done as a regular transition on a switcher, but I'm not 100% sure. [/quote]
 There is probably a wipe that looks LIKE a flip on most switchers, but anything that would move the image along with the transition is going to be a DVE, whether it's built into the switcher or is in its own box.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jumpondees

Card Sharks 1978 opening
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2004, 05:22:18 PM »
I like to think I know alot about TV...I did take a production class in high school, which is why I can understand the jargon going on here...but I don't remember the term "DVE"...

For the clinically uninformed....What the hell is a DVE and what does it do?

mystery7

Card Sharks 1978 opening
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2004, 05:28:39 PM »
DVE: Digital V ideo Effects. It's the thing that flips, flops, and flies the boxes around on your screen, among myriad other things.

Jumpondees

Card Sharks 1978 opening
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2004, 05:31:59 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Jul 6 2004, 04:28 PM\'] DVE: Digital V ideo Effects. It's the thing that flips, flops, and flies the boxes around on your screen, among myriad other things. [/quote]
 Okay....Now I understand....

I guess I never learned what that was because we never had something like that in our class....I guess you don't see the REAL fun toys until you start paying for stuff like College, lol

alfonzos

Card Sharks 1978 opening
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2006, 04:37:34 PM »
Double Dare Open on You Tube

Has anyone ever noticed that at the 0:21 point in the video (when they dissolve from video to the studio) the sign on the right changes from "Double" flush right and "Dare" flush left to both words being centered?
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Card Sharks 1978 opening
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2006, 04:43:58 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'125927\' date=\'Aug 1 2006, 01:37 PM\']
Has anyone ever noticed that at the 0:21 point in the video (when they dissolve from video to the studio) the sign on the right changes from "Double" flush right and "Dare" flush left to both words being centered?
[/quote]
Uh, no, it doesn't.

And congratulations on opening a two-year old thread with an irrelevant contribution. Enjoy your Prize.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 04:48:23 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Card Sharks 1978 opening
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2006, 06:19:44 PM »
The first DVE units at NBC were installed for Real People, well into the run of Card Sharks. I believe studio 4 was first.

The cheap-ass Card Sharks opening looks like something Paul Alter threw together as an afterthought. During the week of rehearsals for Mindreaders, Paul spent two days fumbling around with an opening where the members of each team were supposed to scowl at the members of the opposing team. On Wednesday Goodson returned from Bill Todman's funeral with Marc Breslow in tow, and by Wednesday evening a completely different opening had been whipped into shape.