Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "That Jeopardy Guy"  (Read 2346 times)

dzinkin

"That Jeopardy Guy"
« on: July 02, 2004, 10:57:01 AM »
There's an article on Ken in today's National Review Online...

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/gold...00407020023.asp

Other than the assumption that he's already lost, IMO it's right on the mark.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 10:58:08 AM by dzinkin »

goongas

"That Jeopardy Guy"
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 11:27:21 AM »
I disagree with

He's better at Jeopardy than Michael Jordan was at basketball, than Wayne Gretzky was at hockey, than Bobby Fischer was at chess.

They were masters of their sports for years, while Ken has only played 22 games.  I admit he is great at Jeopardy!, but IMO isn't in Michael Jordan's league.

Jimmy Owen

"That Jeopardy Guy"
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 11:47:17 AM »
Ken has never lost a game.  Can the same be said for MJ or anyone else?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

goongas

"That Jeopardy Guy"
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 11:53:35 AM »
Ken has never lost a game. Can the same be said for MJ or anyone else?

Has Ken played for 10 - 20 years?  Has Ken had to rely on other team members?  Has Ken played against the very best players possible?  Has Ken had to worry about injuring himself?  

In game 5 I believe, if his opponent gave the correct FJ answer, he would have lost.  He is not invinsible.

Chelsea Thrasher

"That Jeopardy Guy"
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 12:49:28 PM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Jul 2 2004, 10:53 AM\'] He is not invinsible. [/quote]
Of course he's not invisible.  Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to see him at all...:-P
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 12:49:38 PM by Seth Thrasher »

DrBear

"That Jeopardy Guy"
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 01:16:22 PM »
OK ... how about Joe DiMaggio's league? (At least for the hitting streak — Ken, you haven't married Marilyn Monroe yet, have you?)
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

goongas

"That Jeopardy Guy"
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2004, 11:35:41 AM »
Of course he's not invisible. Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to see him at all...:-P

Note the n in my original post that you left out.

Chelsea Thrasher

"That Jeopardy Guy"
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2004, 12:11:23 PM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Jul 3 2004, 10:35 AM\']
Of course he's not invisible. Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to see him at all...:-P

Note the n in my original post that you left out. [/quote]
Have you ever had one of those instances where you think you see one word (I could when have sworn I saw the word invisible in your post, rather than that actual word you typed), come to find out later it was another word?  

Apologies for the slightly off moment by myself, folks.\
« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 12:14:29 PM by Seth Thrasher »

dzinkin

"That Jeopardy Guy"
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2004, 12:20:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Jul 3 2004, 12:11 PM\'] [quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Jul 3 2004, 10:35 AM\']

Have you ever had one of those instances where you think you see one word (I could when have sworn I saw the word invisible in your post, rather than that actual word you typed), come to find out later it was another word?  

Apologies for the slightly off moment by myself, folks.\ [/quote]
 In fairness, it wouldn't have been as easy to misread that word if Eric had spelled it correctly -- "invincible."  Leave out a letter from that, and you get a word that I don't think even exists. :-)

Chelsea Thrasher

"That Jeopardy Guy"
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2004, 02:26:26 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Jul 3 2004, 11:20 AM\'] [quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Jul 3 2004, 12:11 PM\'] [quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Jul 3 2004, 10:35 AM\']

Apologies for the slightly off moment by myself, folks.\ [/quote]
In fairness, it wouldn't have been as easy to misread that word if Eric had spelled it correctly -- "invincible."  Leave out a letter from that, and you get a word that I don't think even exists. :-) [/quote]
 That Mispeeling (<==Intentional) was what threw me off, truth be told...

goongas

"That Jeopardy Guy"
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2004, 04:08:48 PM »
Sorry for the misspelling.

Craig Karlberg

"That Jeopardy Guy"
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2004, 05:12:35 AM »
Getting back on track here.  Many pro atheletes take years to develop their skill.  Once they master it, it becomes second nature.  All it takes is practice, some hard work & some luck along the way.

In Ken's case, it took him most of his childhood to develop his intellectual skills.  Once he's masterd them, they became second nature to him.  Again, practice, hard work & a little luck goes a long way.  He just had to do it in a much shorter time frame than the athletes.