Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TRiR: Generic Plugs?  (Read 4620 times)

BrandonFG

TRiR: Generic Plugs?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2004, 02:03:42 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jul 3 2004, 12:41 PM\'] [quote name=\'Steve_Bier\' date=\'Jul 3 2004, 08:29 AM\'] Maxima is a sweet car! Did you have the one that talked?? [/quote]
She was the best female companion I ever had - she never said "no"!

I'm on my third Maxima now, and just yesterday test drove what may well be my fourth. [/quote]
 -this is OT, but since Maxima was brought up, I must speak my piece- :-)

Both of you are bringing back memories of my dearly departed Maxima (a 1985). Got it as a Christmas gift in 2002, but it died last October. >:o

Turns out it was the timing belt, but the mechanic said that it was under the engine, so we would've had to pay more than we paid for the car. Randy, you know anything about that?

ObGameShow: A lot of shows aired in 1985, esp. in daytime.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

tvrandywest

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2004, 02:37:41 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 3 2004, 10:03 AM\'] Turns out it was the timing belt, but the mechanic said that it was under the engine, so we would've had to pay more than we paid for the car. Randy, you know anything about that? [/quote]
A: I can't tell until I put it up on the lift. Come back in three hours.

B: If I knew anything about cars I certainly wouldn't be wasting my life as an announcer.

C: If your timing belt is hanging under the engine I'd try suspenders.

D: If the car is so great how come the lady in the dash can't stop saying "fuel level is low" long enough to tell you what's really wrong?

E: It sounds to me like the problem is the nut behind the wheel.

All I know about the mid 80s Maximas is that there was a factory problem with the rack and pinion steering that was discovered a few years later. That was the only problem I had with my '84. It was still running well at 130,000 miles but couldn't pass the stringent CA emissions test. I gave it to charity. I know nothing about cars, and even less about your car. But if you give me a script I can probably sound convincing   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 03:04:58 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2004, 03:45:16 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jul 3 2004, 11:37 AM\'] But if you give me a script I can probably sound convincing   ;-)
 [/quote]
 This makes sense. Randy is more likely to have useful knowledge about BRAND NEW cars. ;)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2004, 06:53:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve_Bier\' date=\'Jul 3 2004, 09:25 AM\'] That definately makes sense, especially with it coming out of their budget and all.  However, let's say that I DID go on PiR, and win...let's say...a Cavalier. [/quote]
 Be glad you won a Cavalier instead of an Aveo. :)
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Steve_Bier

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2004, 10:54:29 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jul 3 2004, 01:37 PM\'] D: If the car is so great how come the lady in the dash can't stop saying "fuel level is low" long enough to tell you what's really wrong?

[/quote]
 LOL......

That lady in the dashboard of my 86' scared off many a prospective girlfriend of mine with 5 little words...

"Please turn off the lights".

I still miss her :(

BrandonFG

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2004, 04:01:20 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve_Bier\' date=\'Jul 3 2004, 09:54 PM\'] [quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jul 3 2004, 01:37 PM\'] D: If the car is so great how come the lady in the dash can't stop saying "fuel level is low" long enough to tell you what's really wrong?

[/quote]
LOL......

That lady in the dashboard of my 86' scared off many a prospective girlfriend of mine with 5 little words...

I still miss her :( [/quote]
 lol...I never got to hear my Maxima's sweet, sensual voice*...the talk feature didn't work. :-P

*I have no clue if it was sweet, sensual, or even a female's voice.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2004, 04:39:19 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jul 3 2004, 07:39 AM\'] What happens to the cars, motorhomes, etc. that are never won within a model year? [/quote]
Not sure on this but unwon cars, notorhomes & such that are offered during its model year are usually resold back to the dealership from where it came but as a used vehicle instead.  I could be wrong on that/

tvwxman

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2004, 06:23:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jul 4 2004, 03:39 AM\']
Not sure on this but unwon cars, notorhomes & such that are offered during its model year are usually resold back to the dealership from where it came but as a used vehicle instead.  I could be wrong on that/ [/quote]
 Do you have a source on that? Cause it really sounds like you're just speculating.

Again.

If you're "not sure on this", then keep your hands away from the keyboard.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2004, 06:37:55 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jul 4 2004, 04:39 AM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jul 3 2004, 07:39 AM\'] What happens to the cars, motorhomes, etc. that are never won within a model year? [/quote]
Not sure on this but unwon cars, notorhomes & such that are offered during its model year are usually resold back to the dealership from where it came but as a used vehicle instead.  I could be wrong on that/ [/quote]
Well, considering there isn't like a "car lot" to pick up your winnings from at a game show (We'll use TPiR for example) I don't know what you're referring to.

The cars won are not really even purchased at that point - they would be ordered at the time they are to be distributed.  (As the cars will be sold through a local dealer)

If you're referring to the cars that are shown on camera, I couldn't answer that.  I do know that the show has actually borrowed cars (expensive ones) from private individuals and dealerships before!

Does it make much sense to buy a Corvette just to show it on TV and hope it gets won?  (Or not...depending on your budget!)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 06:38:57 AM by ClockGameJohn »

Steve_Bier

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2004, 09:40:23 AM »
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' date=\'Jul 4 2004, 05:37 AM\'] If you're referring to the cars that are shown on camera, I couldn't answer that.  I do know that the show has actually borrowed cars (expensive ones) from private individuals and dealerships before!

[/quote]
 So, John---let's say that PiR has up for stakes, something like a Dodge Viper. Or, and we know this will never happen, a Mercedes E-Class. Rather than go out and purchase one, they'll simply borrow it from the dealer to show on camera?

My question is this---when they show the credits at the end of the show, with the various prize suppliers, do these car dealers (Robert H. Loud Ford, Massey Cadillac, Team Chevrolet-Oldsmobile, et al) simply supply a car for PiR to show on camera, or are they the dealership that some of these cars are purchased from?

GS Warehouse

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2004, 12:01:05 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 4 2004, 04:01 AM\'] [quote name=\'Steve_Bier\' date=\'Jul 3 2004, 09:54 PM\'] [quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jul 3 2004, 01:37 PM\'] D: If the car is so great how come the lady in the dash can't stop saying "fuel level is low" long enough to tell you what's really wrong?

[/quote]
LOL......

I still miss her :( [/quote]
lol...I never got to hear my Maxima's sweet, sensual voice*...the talk feature didn't work. :-P [/quote]
 Talking cars haven't been en vogue since Knight Rider.  Of course, if you saw those commercials for the 2005 Ford Focus, you'll know why cars should not talk.

ObGS: KR star David Hasselhoff once worked with a Barker's Beauty.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2004, 01:42:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jul 4 2004, 03:39 AM\'] Not sure on this but unwon cars, notorhomes & such that are offered during its model year are usually resold back to the dealership from where it came but as a used vehicle instead.  I could be wrong on that/ [/quote]
 You are.  You're usually painfully obvious and contribute nothing to conversations, or you're wildly speculative, and contribute nothing to conversations.  You're too old for this.

Brandon Brooks

Frank15

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2004, 06:59:53 PM »
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' date=\'Jul 3 2004, 04:52 AM\'] I'm told that 99.9% of the cars are now purchased 100% by the show.  No plugs, no fees...they gotta buy em.  That whole deal of people saying "I bet Chevy doesn't like it when Bob calls the car a 'Cracker' instead of 'Tracker'" doesn't mean crap since the show is paying for the car without Ford even giving them a reacharound. [/quote]
 I didn't know that.  Suddenly, the current Triple Play reveal, as much as I still despise it, makes perfect sense....