Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Jack Barry School of Ad-Libbing  (Read 2631 times)

Don Howard

The Jack Barry School of Ad-Libbing
« on: July 03, 2004, 06:59:31 PM »
Here's one of my favorites from Jack:
"We'll be back with another program...on the next program".

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 07:47:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jul 3 2004, 05:59 PM\'] Here's one of my favorites from Jack:
"We'll be back with another program...on the next program". [/quote]
 If he said that on the last "Break the Bank," it would make some sense.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

mystery7

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 10:36:36 PM »
Or how 'bout this painful one when Jack was announcing that kids would be playing next week: "We will be having children for several days..."

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 04:03:59 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jul 3 2004, 05:59 PM\'] Here's one of my favorites from Jack:
"We'll be back with another program...on the next program". [/quote]
 He must have had Louie Anderson as a student.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

whewfan

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2004, 05:28:15 AM »
Of course, he also always asked the players if they could come back to the next show, something he always asked contestants on 21 and other shows he hosted.

"We're going to be here for a very long TIME"- John Davidson's erronious assumption on the premiere episode of Time Machine

davemackey

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2004, 07:52:39 AM »
That's a throwback to the days when there were times that contestants actually couldn't come back to the last show.

My Barry favorite is: "On our last program we crowned a brand new champion..." something he said every day and probably would have said on Thom McKee's 45th day, were Barry hosting "Tic Tac Dough".

The scene of Barry (played by Christopher McDonald) rehearsing the line "Hi, I'm Jack Barry" in the film "Quiz Show" is probably very close to the truth.

Michael Brandenburg

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2004, 08:46:00 AM »
In response to the following from "whewfan" in this thread:

Of course, he [Barry] also always asked the players if they could come back to the next show, something he always asked contestants on Twenty-One and other shows he hosted.

I'm old enough to remember when he would ask that question to the contestants on Tic-Tac-Dough at the end of a program.  Those were the days when the show aired live (except on the West Coast, which got kinescopes in those pre-videotape days) and contestants did have to "come back tomorrow" in order to continue an interrupted game on TTD and other game shows of that time.

I think there were a few cases in which a TTD contestant couldn't "come back tomorrow" and the opposing player ended up being the new (or continuing) champion, though I don't recall exactly how they handled the potential prize involved (the existing game pot on TTD in this case).  But this was also the time when a player, if he did not "retire" voluntarily as champion on either TTD or Twenty-One, woud go into the next game with at least some of his/her past winnings at risk, and if he/she lost that game, that player would lose an amount from his prior winnings equal to the amount his/her opponent won in that game.  (Biggest such loss I recall from the daytime TTD of that time: A contestant ran up $9200 in prior winnings and chose to continue against the next opponent, only to have that competition go through eight ties with a "carryover pot" each time before he finally lost $8500 of his $9200 to his opponent in the ninth game.)

For those who might have the video that was produced from the old kinescope of the infamous Twenty-One match between Herbert Stempel and Charles Van Doren, you saw that practice in effect on that show -- in this case, Stempel, who had $69,500 in prior winnings before his match with Van Doren, ended up losing $20,000 of it to Van Doren, leaving him with a going-away total of $49,500.

Michael Brandenburg
(Now I see that Twenty-One is back in Canada, with much smaller stakes -- but I don't think its going to make it.)

Ian Wallis

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004, 02:03:19 PM »
"We'll be back with another program...on the next program".

If he said that on the last "Break the Bank," it would make some sense.

Most of the time Barry said "I hope you enjoyed Break the Bank, and if you did enjoy it, please join us next week, same time, same station".  

Watching it originally in the '70s, I was thinking that it couldn't be cancelled as long as he said that at the end of each show!  (Little did I know back then...)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

rmfromfla

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2004, 03:29:34 PM »
Or this famous line by Jack Barry/a.ka. Christopher McDonald as he
  got ready in his dressing room:

(in a dramatic voice):  "Like Walking on the Bottom of the Sea as if
   I had drowned long ago....."

production assistant:  "5 minutes, Mr. Barry!"

Jack:  "You ready, America?!"

ChuckNet

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2004, 07:05:49 PM »
"We're going to be here for a very long TIME"- John Davidson's erronious assumption on the premiere episode of Time Machine

He also included the redundant line "If you're watching us for the 1st time, maybe you don't know that this is our 1st show"...Um, I think *everyone* was watching TM for the first time that day, John.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

aaron sica

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2004, 07:14:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jul 5 2004, 02:03 PM\'] Watching it originally in the '70s, I was thinking that it couldn't be cancelled as long as he said that at the end of each show!  (Little did I know back then...)

[/quote]
 Isn't childhood innocence something when watching game shows?

I used to get so mad when the host would promise something (i.e. "and we'll play the bonus round right after THIS!!!"), but then come back to the show and it was "well, we ran out of time, we'll play the bonus round on our NEXT show..."

ChuckNet

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2004, 07:16:36 PM »
I think there were a few cases in which a TTD contestant couldn't "come back tomorrow" and the opposing player ended up being the new (or continuing) champion, though I don't recall exactly how they handled the potential prize involved (the existing game pot on TTD in this case).

That actually happened a coupla times in the 80s, as well...in 1986, Super Password had a champ who didn't return for a full yr because she'd been in a car accident between tapings, and during the course of $otC winner Tom O'Brien's run a yr later, he was unable to return for what would've been his 10th ep, so Jim explained that they'd have 3 new players that day, w/Tom returning on the next show.

Don't ask how I remember, but it also happened once on TTD '90, as well.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2004, 09:24:41 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jul 5 2004, 04:05 PM\'] He also included the redundant line "If you're watching us for the 1st time, maybe you don't know that this is our 1st show"...Um, I think *everyone* was watching TM for the first time that day, John.
 [/quote]
 A fair number of people were watching it for the LAST time, too. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe