Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rate Celebrity Blackjack  (Read 7313 times)

PeterMarshallFan

Rate Celebrity Blackjack
« on: July 06, 2004, 12:55:51 PM »
I have to admit, I rather enjoyed it.

I only had a couple problems with this show. One was the fact that it was just too damn quiet during the show....the lack of even a low background murmur like WSoBJ had just sounded weird to me. I didn't like this "Alex" [I didn't catch her last name] who was Matt Vasgersian's new sidekick. I thought he had perfect chemistry with Max Rubin and he doesn't match well with this new host, IMO.

Other than that, I enjoyed it. B+

aaron sica

Rate Celebrity Blackjack
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 01:46:46 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 6 2004, 12:55 PM\'] I have to admit, I rather enjoyed it.

I only had a couple problems with this show. One was the fact that it was just too damn quiet during the show....the lack of even a low background murmur like WSoBJ had just sounded weird to me. I didn't like this "Alex" [I didn't catch her last name] who was Matt Vasgersian's new sidekick. I thought he had perfect chemistry with Max Rubin and he doesn't match well with this new host, IMO.

Other than that, I enjoyed it. B+ [/quote]
I was waiting for someone to comment on this show...

Due to being at work until 10pm I couldn't watch it from the beginning, but I picked it up about 10:30 and really enjoyed it.

I might enjoy the poker shows more if I better knew how poker worked, but I enjoy watching Blackjack.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 02:19:14 PM by aaron sica »

weaklink75

Rate Celebrity Blackjack
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 01:51:39 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 6 2004, 11:55 AM\'] I have to admit, I rather enjoyed it.

Other than that, I enjoyed it. B+ [/quote]
 I agree....it seems like the celebs were having a lot more fun on the show than  the pros in WSoBJ, and the twists to the normal game are good (the jokers are new, but the secret bets for the final hand are used in regular tournaments). I enjoy Celebrity Poker Showdown, and I enjoy this show just as much....It's a B+ show for me as well.

ilb4ever2000

Rate Celebrity Blackjack
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 04:08:12 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 6 2004, 11:55 AM\'] I didn't like this "Alex" [I didn't catch her last name] who was Matt Vasgersian's new sidekick. [/quote]
Alex Borstein, formerly of Mad TV and Family Guy. I guess they felt they had to get a "funny" person on there like the Bravo Celebrity Poker shows (isn't Dave Foley on those (I don't get the channel)?).

I don't really know how to play blackjack, but I enjoyed it. I'm surprised at the caliber of the celebrities GSN could get.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 04:09:59 PM by ilb4ever2000 »

inturnaround

Rate Celebrity Blackjack
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 07:34:54 PM »
Well, I like Alex Borstein. I think she wasn't given much to do, that might be why she wasn't enjoyed on last night's show.

Yes, the silence in the studio is disconcerting. It makes it feel more like a show taped in Hollywood (which, of course, is exactly what it is) than Celebrity Poker Showdown, which is taped live in front of a very loud and excited crowed in Vegas. It also makes it seem less of an event than CPS (which, of course, is exactly what it is)

The celebs were great and interacted very well. It's always welcome to see Snoop Dogg in the rapper slot than his ubiquitous game show colleague Coolio.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

davemackey

Rate Celebrity Blackjack
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 11:19:00 PM »
What was the rating on that show? There was an awful lot of language on there. There was at least one g-d, a word for wimpy that is the same as slangy female anatomy, and perhaps one mention of excrement that all went out over the airwaves unfettered.

The live audience does make a difference in the ambience, with "CPS" being the livelier show.

It seems like some of Alex's lines were dropped in in post. And I'm glad we established that it was Alex Borstein... perhaps more than a few of us may have thought that Alex McLeod had come out of hiding.

sshuffield70

Rate Celebrity Blackjack
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 09:33:40 AM »
I dunno.  That might not be a bad thing.  Have you seen Alex McLeod in a bikini? :) :) :)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Rate Celebrity Blackjack
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 03:44:38 PM »
Have you seen Alex McLeod in a bikini?

Well if she got into one, it must've been 12 seconds or so after she started talking because that's when...I...*yawn* fall asleep.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

uncamark

Rate Celebrity Blackjack
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 03:56:37 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Jul 6 2004, 10:19 PM\']What was the rating on that show? There was an awful lot of language on there. There was at least one g-d, a word for wimpy that is the same as slangy female anatomy, and perhaps one mention of excrement that all went out over the airwaves unfettered.[/quote]
I'm guessing TV-14--which is not a first for GSN--"Fake-a-Date" and "Kenny vs. Spenny" both carry TV-14 ratings, as I assume whatever network reality series originally had that rating, if possible.

AFAIK, GSN hasn't started adding the DVSL appendages to the TV ratings (although now that I think of, didn't "GSN Video Games" have either a D or an L added to its TV-PG rating?)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Rate Celebrity Blackjack
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2004, 05:13:17 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Jul 6 2004, 08:19 PM\'] What was the rating on that show? There was an awful lot of language on there. There was at least one g-d, a word for wimpy that is the same as slangy female anatomy, and perhaps one mention of excrement that all went out over the airwaves unfettered.
 [/quote]
 To their credit, I'm guessing GSN has concluded that people don't say "Oh, shucky-darn", when they lose at gambling. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ilb4ever2000

Rate Celebrity Blackjack
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2004, 05:18:25 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 7 2004, 04:13 PM\'] To their credit, I'm guessing GSN has concluded that people don't say "Oh, shucky-darn", when they lose at gambling. :) [/quote]
 And I'm guessing nobody's used the phrase "Oh, shucky-darn" ever.

BrandonFG

Rate Celebrity Blackjack
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2004, 05:25:08 PM »
[quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'Jul 7 2004, 04:18 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 7 2004, 04:13 PM\'] To their credit, I'm guessing GSN has concluded that people don't say "Oh, shucky-darn", when they lose at gambling. :) [/quote]
And I'm guessing nobody's used the phrase "Oh, shucky-darn" ever. [/quote]
 The Perfesser. :-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

dzinkin

Rate Celebrity Blackjack
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2004, 05:36:43 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 7 2004, 05:25 PM\'][quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'Jul 7 2004, 04:18 PM\']
And I'm guessing nobody's used the phrase "Oh, shucky-darn" ever. [/quote]
The Perfesser. :-)[/quote]
You've heard of a gameshuckydarnumentary opera? ;-)

cac8383

Rate Celebrity Blackjack
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2004, 02:20:23 AM »
getting back on the original topic..... After two shows, I actually enjoyed watching it. I guess celeb shows are much more enjoyable, eh?  My rating: A-

inturnaround

Rate Celebrity Blackjack
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2004, 04:38:51 AM »
[quote name=\'cac8383\' date=\'Jul 13 2004, 02:20 AM\']getting back on the original topic..... After two shows, I actually enjoyed watching it. I guess celeb shows are much more enjoyable, eh?  My rating: A-[/quote]
Yeah, I don't think the show is nearly as interesting when they have civilians playing the game. I can't  really figure out why I feel that way, but I do enjoy the celebs better.
Joe Coughlin     
Human