Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How likely are we to see Ken Jennings on  (Read 3048 times)

opimus

How likely are we to see Ken Jennings on
« on: July 09, 2004, 09:28:17 AM »
How likely are we to see Ken Jennings on Super Millionaire in a  sweeps period?

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 09:30:58 AM »
[quote name=\'opimus\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 08:28 AM\'] How likely are we to see Ken Jennings on Super Millionaire in a  sweeps period? [/quote]
 The odds of Ken appearing on SM are the same odds everyone else has to get on SM. He probably wouldn't be eligible for a year after his last J! episode airs, but even he would have to hope for the random callback and that someone competing against him on the show wouldn't have fingers as fast as his are.

dscungio

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 09:42:31 AM »
[quote name=\'opimus\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 08:28 AM\'] How likely are we to see Ken Jennings on Super Millionaire in a  sweeps period? [/quote]
 As Zach mentioned, Ken would have to go through the same qualifying process as us mere mortals, whether it's through the phone game or by auditioning.

You should have considered the fact that Super Millionaire may not air again.  ABC has not yet made a decision to run a third series, as much as Michael Davies would like to do it.  Remember that the ratings weren't exactly bringing ABC out of fourth place.

What I would expect to see Ken on would be Davies' Grand Slam project, where they unite past superchamps.  He would certainly make the cut.

-Dean

opimus

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 09:55:03 AM »
The producers could book him as a "celebraity" contestant.

TV Favorites

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 10:35:53 AM »
[quote name=\'opimus\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 08:55 AM\'] The producers could book him as a "celebraity" contestant. [/quote]
 Let's hope ABC learned their lesson and won't do any more celebrity shows.  Or at the very least not do as many.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 11:22:59 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 06:30 AM\'] and that someone competing against him on the show wouldn't have fingers as fast as his are. [/quote]
 I think we've pretty much established by now that NOBODY has fingers faster than his are.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SplitSecond

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 11:26:05 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 08:22 AM\'] I think we've pretty much established by now that NOBODY has fingers faster than his are. [/quote]
 Oh, come now, Chris, we've only seen his thumb at work.

Unless there's something you're not sharing with us.

goongas

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004, 11:31:05 AM »
They let you on Super Millionaire as long as you were not on a primetime show in the last year.  Todd Kim taped Jeopardy! before was on Super Millionaire.

OntarioQuizzer

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2004, 11:43:44 AM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 11:31 AM\'] They let you on Super Millionaire as long as you were not on a primetime show in the last year.  Todd Kim taped Jeopardy! before was on Super Millionaire. [/quote]
 But did Mr. Kim not have to forfeit his J! winnings in order to appear on Super Millionaire?

Of course, you would generally win more than $2,000 on Super Millionaire, making it worthwhile...

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2004, 11:46:36 AM »
[quote name=\'TV Favorites\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 09:35 AM\'] [quote name=\'opimus\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 08:55 AM\'] The producers could book him as a "celebraity" contestant. [/quote]
Let's hope ABC learned their lesson and won't do any more celebrity shows.  Or at the very least not do as many. [/quote]
 I say book him as one of the 3 Wise Men.

leszekp

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2004, 11:51:49 AM »
I suspect the J! people would probably object if he appeared on Super Millionaire in between his last regular J! appearance and the Tournament of Champions. And they'd definitely object if he appeared on Super Millionaire while he was still on the show (which is not out of the range of possibility).

Regardless, unless they change the qualification process for Super-M, the odds of Ken (or anyone in particular) getting on Super-M are pretty small.

goongas

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2004, 11:52:05 AM »
But did Mr. Kim not have to forfeit his J! winnings in order to appear on Super Millionaire?

Yes, but that has nothing to do with the eligibility question.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2004, 11:56:02 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 08:46 AM\'] I say book him as one of the 3 Wise Men. [/quote]
Wow. THAT is a good idea. Hell, book him as ALL THREE Wise Men. ;)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 11:56:22 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Samer

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2004, 07:36:34 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 10:22 AM\'] I think we've pretty much established by now that NOBODY has fingers faster than his are. [/quote]
 Perhaps more accurate would be, nobody we've seen has faster fingers.

I know people who are at roughly the same level as Ken; how he'd do against them is anyone's guess.

Of course, one interesting fact remains: if Ken indeed makes it to next season's shows, he'll be competing against people who could conceivably have seen his streak, and know his relative weaknesses. . . .

Clay Zambo

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2004, 10:05:50 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 10:46 AM\'] I say book him as one of the 3 Wise Men. [/quote]
I say book him as all of the wise men!

Edit: Figures Lemon'd beat me to the punch on that one.

But on further reflection: Could ABC afford to have a lifeline who was completely trustworthy?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 10:07:45 PM by Clay Zambo »
czambo@mac.com