Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dead formats?  (Read 3343 times)

ITSBRY

Dead formats?
« on: July 09, 2004, 12:18:31 PM »
What formats do you think are permanently dead?  Meaning...what do you think is such an antiquated format that it will never be revived for TV again?  Now, of course you get into a gray area here with format updates, but I'm talking the pure original format.

I'm gonna say TTTT.  I was really surprised when Fremantle revived this one recently.  I never saw the most current version as it didn't run in the Indy market, but given it's early demise I think it's most likely gone for a very long time if not for good.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

zachhoran

Dead formats?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 12:21:09 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 11:18 AM\']
I'm gonna say TTTT.  I was really surprised when Fremantle revived this one recently.  I never saw the most current version as it didn't run in the Indy market, but given it's early demise I think it's most likely gone for a very long time if not for good.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com [/quote]
 TTTT2k lasted longer than the 1980-81 and 1990-91 versions did, but just barely(got axed halfway through its second season in early 2002). If history holds true, expect the next version in 2010, complete with 100-year-old Kitty Carlisle cameo.

TV Favorites

Dead formats?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 12:33:26 PM »
I think it's safe to say that the "You're in the Picture" is a dead format...it was never alive to being with. ;)

adamjk

Dead formats?
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 01:08:31 PM »
I think, and no offense to Randy or anything, but I think Match Game is a dead format. People don't have inhibitions anymore. I mean people no longer want to come up with clever ways to fill in that blank. They immediately go for the dirty jokes. MG 98 proved it.

JayC

Dead formats?
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 01:44:28 PM »
Probably anything that involves guessing a secret talent.

BrandonFG

Dead formats?
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 02:45:43 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 12:44 PM\'] Probably anything that involves guessing a secret talent. [/quote]
 I was going to say What's My Line or I've Got A Secret. I just don't think today's viewers have the attention span for such a thing...then again, with reality shows, people LOVE looking into other people's lives.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Winkfan

Dead formats?
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 05:35:11 PM »
...with reality shows, people LOVE looking into other people's lives.
So how come there's no clamoring for a revival of It Could Be You?

You can also count 'musical identification' games as another 'dead format.'

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Susan Stafford of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:38:07 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024)

rmfromfla

Dead formats?
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004, 06:37:59 PM »
What?   No revival planned of "How's Your Mother In-Law?"

GPeefalt

Dead formats?
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2004, 07:24:38 PM »
Any "Win 5 games and you get a new car" format.

76GMC

Dead formats?
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2004, 09:42:58 PM »
Rayburn opened the first MGHS as a "marriage" of two games.  Like SOOOOO many Hollywood marriages (cough) *J-Lo* (/cough), it lasted less than a year.  Ditto with the DG/NG from 1996-97.  Two different games just don't work well together in the same show.

And speaking of marriages, "Tattletales" won't be coming back.  Like MG, it's success dwindled as time went on.  Towards the end of its run, it was harder to find couples--and that was 20 years ago!!  Given how PC thinking has saturated our environment, I can't think of any couple who would do it now.

Rick

alfonzos

Dead formats?
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2004, 12:03:55 PM »
I don't see Concentration ever coming back. It's too slow. Pity.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

The Ol' Guy

Dead formats?
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2004, 04:54:42 PM »
Along with the music games, I'd dare to venture Tic Tac Dough had dirt thrown on it for the last time in '90. Straight Q&A tic tac toe with the constant ties - could anyone see the format coming back as we've known it? I don't even think "mo' money" would help.  Some game could come along where players may have to capture three, four or five game spaces in a row on a board, like a Pente-type game, but I'd be hard pressed to imagine some type of a straight q & a game to capture the squares.

rugrats1

Dead formats?
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2004, 06:05:58 PM »
I'd dare to venture Tic Tac Dough had dirt thrown on it for the last time in '90. Straight Q&A tic tac toe with the constant ties - could anyone see the format coming back as we've known it? I don't even think "mo' money" would help.

Maybe Ken Jennings' winning streak on Jeopardy might motivate some producers to revive Q&A shows like TTD, or invent similar shows. The way things are going, anything can happen in the long run.

Ian Wallis

Dead formats?
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2004, 09:50:47 AM »
One format I'm not sure would work again would be the oringal "Password".  In watching the '60s episodes on GSN, I'm not sure it would captivate an audience today.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

Dead formats?
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2004, 06:38:35 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 01:45 PM\'][quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 12:44 PM\'] Probably anything that involves guessing a secret talent. [/quote]
I was going to say What's My Line or I've Got A Secret. I just don't think today's viewers have the attention span for such a thing...then again, with reality shows, people LOVE looking into other people's lives.[/quote]
Meanwhile, Oxygen got 130 shows out of the "IGAS" format and are still rerunning them early in the morning.  Of course, that's cable--I'm doubtful myself if panel formats can ever be revived.