Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The 5 questions of this week...  (Read 6144 times)

urbanpreppie05

The 5 questions of this week...
« on: July 09, 2004, 05:34:04 PM »
1. From the pilots that you may have seen, which one was the best and should have been sold as a series?

2. What are you recollections of LMAD 80'? (I have asked about this before, but there's very little info on this version on the internet!)

3. Who's the worst Game show hostess you've ever seen?

4. Was there ever a rumor to redesign the TPIR set in the late 90's? I read this somewhere...or was I dreaming?

5. What show do you think was cancelled unfairly? (ie., had descent ratings, a good format, etc.) and please...don't put Break the Bank 76'.
insert signature here

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 05:53:43 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 02:34 PM\'] 5. What show do you think was cancelled unfairly? (ie., had descent ratings, a good format, etc.) and please...don't put Break the Bank 76'. [/quote]
 If that's the answer you expect, then why are you asking the question?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Winkfan

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 06:05:34 PM »
1.) We've Got Your Number (Sure, it looked like a thinly-disguised rip-off of High Rollers; but it did have its OWN merits.)

2.) To me, LMAD in 1980 was no different from LMAD in 1970.

3.) I know I'm ganna catch heck for saying this but, Dian Parkinson (I thought she was trying to extort money from Bob when she filed suit; but then again, SOMEONE had to have nerve enough to prove that Bob WASN'T perfect!)

4.) No comment

5.) The Big Showdown, Bumper Stumpers, Choose Up Sides, Get the Message, Hit Man, Paranoia, Rock & Roll Jeopardy, Say When, Second Honeymoon, Seven Keys, Shopping Spree, Talkabout, What's This Song, Wipeout.....well, you get the idea.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Susan Stafford of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 06:06:16 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

JayC

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 07:00:54 PM »
1. Don't remember ever watching any pilots

2. Haven't seen it

3. Lanisha Cole (One of the many Barker's Beauties)

4. The only set changes I remember in the 90s was putting the balloons and blue background behind the TPiR symbol on the big doors, and depadding the turntable.

5. Greed and the new Twenty-One.

GPeefalt

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 07:23:04 PM »
1.  Haven't seen many pilots, but I'll have to say Twisters.
2.  Good.  Kept it faithfull and Door #4 was cool.
3.  Cyber-Lucy
4.  Haven't a clue
5.  Winning Lines,Dirty Rotten Cheater,Beat the Geeks,Pyramid

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 07:23:28 PM »
1. From the pilots that you may have seen, which one was the best and should have been sold as a series?
I thought "Lucky Numbers" was a good spin-off of High Rollers.  The prizes seemed nice; and Alex was still a capable host at the time.
Who's the worst Game show hostess you've ever seen?
Hands down, Cyber-Lucy.
What show do you think was cancelled unfairly?
My nomination would go to "The Better Sex" on ABC.  Darn soaps!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 07:23:45 PM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 08:04:02 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 04:34 PM\'] 4. Was there ever a rumor to redesign the TPIR set in the late 90's? I read this somewhere...or was I dreaming?

[/quote]
 You were not dreaming. I remember watching on the TV Guide Channel around the time that they were reporting TPiR's 30th Anniversary special, and it was said (by Barker or one of the TVGC personalities, I do not know) that a set overhaul was going to be in the works, but fans and audience members cried foul at the news, and the plans were scrapped.

What the redesign entails is the mystery, because (I think) they were never made public.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

whewfan

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004, 08:30:47 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 04:34 PM\']

[/quote]
From the pilots that you may have seen, which one was the best and should have been sold as a series?

I thought the Jim Peck version of Caught in the Act could've worked, with a different bonus game though.

What are you recollections of LMAD 80'? (I have asked about this before, but there's very little info on this version on the internet!)

You mean the Vegas version or the Canadian version? Both versions were very much the same. Vegas had a much larger stage and trading floor, and there were some new Vegas related deals, but othe than that it was the same.

The Canadian version was a much lower budget LMAD. No Jay Stewart either.

. Who's the worst Game show hostess you've ever seen?

The hostess of the pilot Lucky Numbers, Debbie Sue Maffett. Yeah, I know it was just a pilot, but she was annoying. Her role was nothing more than getting the audience warmed up, and she herself was shouting advice to the players. Awful

What show do you think was cancelled unfairly? (ie., had descent ratings, a good format, etc.) and please...don't put Break the Bank 76'.

For me, Super Password. Even TV Guide balked at cancelling SP in favor of more soaps.

aaron sica

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2004, 08:31:59 PM »

Haven't seen enough pilots to make a decision.

2. What are you recollections of LMAD 80'? (I have asked about this before, but there's very little info on this version on the internet!)

All I remember about it was watching the reruns in CBN in early '84, and knowing it was Canadian :)

Sally "only 8" deep" Julian.

4. Was there ever a rumor to redesign the TPIR set in the late 90's? I read this somewhere...or was I dreaming?

This was already addressed.

5. What show do you think was cancelled unfairly? (ie., had descent ratings, a good format, etc.) and please...don't put Break the Bank 76'.

BTB76. :)

Just kidding - actually, $20,000 Pyramid, more than 24 years later, I'm still disappointed at. As a child, I still remember (and talk about enough!), ABC's killer lineup of "Happy Days" (later replaced by Laverne and Shirley) at 11am (EST), Family Feud at 11:30, and $20,000 Pyramid at noon.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 10:59:33 PM by aaron sica »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2004, 10:57:54 PM »
[quote name=\'GPeefalt\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 06:23 PM\'] 2.  Good.  Kept it faithfull and Door #4 was cool.
 [/quote]
 Was there a Door #4 in LMAD80?  I know there was one for the 1984-86 revival (taped in L.A.), but I don't recall there being one for the 1980 version taped in Canada (maybe I'm wrong, and I'm sure someone will call me on it if that's the case).

Don't know why, but LMAD80 seemed a little slower paced to me on the few occasions I had to see it.  Again, going on 24 years' worth of hazy memory here.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2004, 11:11:29 PM »
Guess I might as well answer some of the others while I'm at it:

I would also go with TWISTERS.

Sally Julian.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I thought HSq had enough legs to go on for another year or so on NBC (to be honest, I was real surprised that CS was spared and HSq was axed in favor of David Letterman's morning show).  Of course, I'm not sure what the ratings actually were (although my understanding was that Dave's show languished worse than the shows it replaced).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Frank15

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2004, 12:17:43 AM »
I vaguely remember a supposed rumor that The Price is Right show was going to go through a major overhaul, in both set design and the way it was played, for November of 1999.  I didn't really believe it, and as it turns out, it never happened.  Not sure if anyone else here remembers that rumor....

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2004, 12:39:17 AM »
If that's the answer you expect, then why are you asking the question?

Not using my good judgement again, I suppose? I don't know. I feel that most of us know that BTB shouldn't have been cancelled, the ratings were pretty good. If you want to answer with BTB, go ahead!

1.) We've Got Your Number (Sure, it looked like a thinly-disguised rip-off of High Rollers; but it did have its OWN merits.)

I KNEW i wasn't the only one that really liked this pilot! (i especially liked the Bonus round change...)

I know I'm ganna catch heck for saying this but, Dian Parkinson (I thought she was trying to extort money from Bob when she filed suit; but then again, SOMEONE had to have nerve enough to prove that Bob WASN'T perfect!)

Heck, Heck, Heck, heck....:-)
Dian's modeling skills were a "perfect 10". But that whole case of hers makes me laugh, especially when Kathleen said on the painfully-bad--yet-thankfully-short-lived-BET LIVE, "It takes two to tango..."

You were not dreaming. I remember watching on the TV Guide Channel around the time that they were reporting TPiR's 30th Anniversary special, and it was said (by Barker or one of the TVGC personalities, I do not know) that a set overhaul was going to be in the works, but fans and audience members cried foul at the news, and the plans were scrapped.

Thank you for proving I'm not crazy...it's weird tho-I actually daydreamed in Econ. class about an updated, yet classic set. Maybe in next week's 5 hmm?
insert signature here

DJDustman

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2004, 03:17:12 AM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 04:34 PM\'] 1. From the pilots that you may have seen, which one was the best and should have been sold as a series?

5. What show do you think was cancelled unfairly? (ie., had descent ratings, a good format, etc.) and please...don't put Break the Bank 76'. [/quote]
 1. The Buck Stops Here, It's a nice format.

2. Have not seen it yet....

3. None

4. I don't recall...

5. Wipeout, It had a great format, nice cars were always given away, neat set and music!  Honorable mention, The Joker's Wild in 1990.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2004, 04:58:47 AM »
For my 500th post, here goes:

1.  I thought Camaflauge from 1980 was a good show as a pilot.  I always wanted to see an updated version of Video Village(even though I haven't seen it).  The fact that you had to trace a hidden object in a picture was intresting, and the music was so cool too.

2.  No comment.

3.  Stacey from Lingo doesn't do a thing for me as a hostess except for her looks.

4.  No comment.

5.  I thought Wipeout was a good show when it came on the scene in 1988.  I guess Peter Tomarken probably forgotten about PYL by then.