Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Jennings a genius?  (Read 2268 times)

DrBear

Is Jennings a genius?
« on: July 18, 2004, 01:50:47 AM »
New York Times story;  may require registration

The summary: Dr. Howard Gardner, the Hobbs professor of cognition and education at the Harvard Graduate School of Education (fit THAT on a biz card) and Jonathan Plucker, a cognitive scientist at Indiana University who runs a Web site describing the various attempts to understand human intelligences, say we have several different types of intelligence and Ken shows certain ones, including "contextual intelligence," an ability to categorize and "puzzle intelligence." They also say Ken has been  "playing the other contestants as much as the board." And they say he might not do as well against former champions because he would lose that emotional edge. (Which explains the later wins, in my opinon, but not the earlier ones when he had only a game or two more experience.)
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Craig Karlberg

Is Jennings a genius?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 04:29:03 AM »
If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if Ken ACTUALLY loses in the Tof C based on the argument that he doesn't have that edge compared to regular contestants.  We'll see once we see Ken in the tourney.

mmb5

Is Jennings a genius?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 08:57:36 AM »
--------------------

Ken Jennings for President! He's smarter than those two political clowns...

He can't, he's not 35 yet.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Don Howard

Is Jennings a genius?
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 12:22:10 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Jul 18 2004, 07:57 AM\']
--------------------

Ken Jennings for President! He's smarter than those two political clowns...

He can't, he's not 35 yet.

--Mike [/quote]
 Good. This'll give him the chance to win 900 more games before Sony has to worry about an equal-time consideration.

MikeK

• Martha!
Is Jennings a genius?
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 12:33:22 PM »
This is one of the few places I'd expect to hear Howard Gardner's name.  Wow.  (Gardner's name has come up many times in at least 4 college courses over the past 18 months.  I can't avoid the guy.)

Here are Gardner's 8 intelligences:

*  Verbal/linguistic
*  Logical-mathematical ("puzzle intelligence")
*  Spatial intelligence (ability to represent the spatial world in the mind, like how a chess player or sculptor would)
*  Bodily-kinesthetic
*  Musical (musical talent, both writing music and playing instruments, not having the ability to name that tune in 4 notes)
*  Interpersonal
*  Intrapersonal (understanding your capabilities, deficiencies, and preferences)
*  Naturalist (sensitivity for the natural world)

Which of these has Ken shown on Jeopardy!?  Definitely verbal/linguistic (as Gardner noted in the link provided in this thread's first message), logical-mathematical, and intrapersonal.  Ken has exhibited some interpersonal tendencies during the interview segment, but that isn't necessarily an accurate gauge of Ken's interpersonal intelligence level.  Unfortunately, it's difficult, if not outright impossible to measure Ken's abilities in the other four intelligences on Jeopardy!

Steve McClellan

Is Jennings a genius?
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 07:45:57 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Jul 18 2004, 09:33 AM\']Unfortunately, it's difficult, if not outright impossible to measure Ken's abilities in the other four intelligences on Jeopardy![/quote]
I think I have to disagree with you on bodily-kinesthetic. I've heard rumors that during his wins, he holds something in his hands, the operation of which seems to help him out a bit. :)

As for intrapersonal, I think knowing when to ring in and when not to is a pretty good indicator, as is, to a lesser extent, wagering strategy.

MikeK

• Martha!
Is Jennings a genius?
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 08:48:40 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Jul 18 2004, 07:45 PM\'] [quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Jul 18 2004, 09:33 AM\']Unfortunately, it's difficult, if not outright impossible to measure Ken's abilities in the other four intelligences on Jeopardy![/quote]
I think I have to disagree with you on bodily-kinesthetic. I've heard rumors that during his wins, he holds something in his hands, the operation of which seems to help him out a bit. :) [/quote]
 You bring up a good point, Steve.  Here's the definition of "bodily-kinesthetic intelligence", from one of my many books--"the capacity to use your whole body or parts of your body to solve a problem, make something, or put on some kind of production, such as an athlete or a performing artist does".  To me, it doesn't sound like hand-eye coordination equates to a high level of bodily-kinesthetic intelligence.  Bodily-kinesthetic intelligence is best suited for Showoffs or Body Language, not Jeopardy!

As for intrapersonal, I think knowing when to ring in and when not to is a pretty good indicator, as is, to a lesser extent, wagering strategy.

Another interesting translation.  I considered intrapersonal to mean his process of picking categories.  Let's say Ken's strong in literature and not so strong in sports.  I doubt Ken would pick Sports Mascots before 1980s Best Sellers, unless Ken truly knows mascots more than books from that era.