Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Do LED's show up on a set?  (Read 1508 times)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Do LED's show up on a set?
« on: July 12, 2004, 09:53:49 PM »
I've always been mesmerized by chasing lights. Especially that cool pattern on the face-off podium on the most current episodes of "100 Mexicanos Dijeron." They look like they're LED's, but I don't know if LED's would show up under the stage lights. Are they?

You could do a lot of cool things on a set if LED's do show up.

--
Scott Robinson

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 10:01:24 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' date=\'Jul 12 2004, 06:53 PM\'] I've always been mesmerized by chasing lights. Especially that cool pattern on the face-off podium on the most current episodes of "100 Mexicanos Dijeron." They look like they're LED's, but I don't know if LED's would show up under the stage lights. Are they?

--
Scott Robinson [/quote]
 By my way of thinking, and based of what I have seen of LED readouts on lottery shows (most notably The Big Spin in CA) and whatnot, LED's display very poorly under television lighting.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 10:43:18 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 12 2004, 09:01 PM\'] [quote name=\'MSTieScott\' date=\'Jul 12 2004, 06:53 PM\'] I've always been mesmerized by chasing lights. Especially that cool pattern on the face-off podium on the most current episodes of "100 Mexicanos Dijeron." They look like they're LED's, but I don't know if LED's would show up under the stage lights. Are they?

--
Scott Robinson [/quote]
By my way of thinking, and based of what I have seen of LED readouts on lottery shows (most notably The Big Spin in CA) and whatnot, LED's display very poorly under television lighting. [/quote]
 Ryan Bugaj reported the same results on "Reel to Reel".
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TimK2003

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 07:03:17 PM »
The original LED's that have been on most everything for the past umpteen years are indeed hard to see in any high-light situation, but the new generation of LED's introduced in the past few years are much brighter than their predecessors.

Examples of the new generation of LED's are becoming popular in traffic lights, as well as message boards (Daktronics seems to be the leader in those items at the moment).

I would think that if you can see some of these new LED's from quite a distance away now, there should be no problem in using them in studios.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 08:00:21 PM »
There are high-intensity LED clusters designed to replace various types of miniature lamp, among them the type 1820 incandescent lamp which is used in the traditional "egg crate" displays found in the TPIR Showcase podiums, etc.