Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Picking A Revival  (Read 3099 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Picking A Revival
« on: July 14, 2004, 08:28:13 PM »
Why do some shows get revivals, and others not?  PYL was dead for 20 years, why did it get revived?  What about "Blockbusters", whose revival lasted a third as long as the original show?  Who was the genius that decided to give "Now You See It" 15 weeks to fill in the gap until something else was ready?

The point that I got to eventually: it seems that there are far more popular shows that would be more deserving to be revived, but they never see the light of day.  Can the Industry Insiders shed a little light on the subject?

Thanks,
Travis
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

Picking A Revival
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 09:02:24 PM »
I'm just a game show fan, but it seems to me that there aren't too many reasonably successful game shows that haven't been revived once or twice.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tvrandywest

Picking A Revival
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 10:41:03 PM »
The simplest answer (which I seem never to give!) is just about how the business operates. Network / cable channel programmers rarely sit creating new shows or brainstorming about what shows to revive.

Creators, producers and rights-holders pitch shows to the networks. So, for example, the only way "Name That Tune" would be revived would be if the present owner of the format, Phil Gurin, were to make the overture, pitch, dance, buy dinner and politic for it. Rarely would a network or cable channel call around to ask "Hey, who owns 'All Star Wait Until You Have Kids', we want to revive it".

Mark Itkin at William Morris would have to make calls and drum up interest for "Supermarket Sweep" to be revived. A hundred Al Howards sitting at a hundred telephones might sit for a hundred years waiting for an incoming call to start the ball in motion.

Sometimes successful producers can "leverage" their success with one show to get another show added or revived on a network they are doing business with. Goodson-Todman was adept at that tactic.

As most of the formats worthy of a revival are now owned by one of a very small handful of companies it is safe to assume that the development people at those companies ask themselves regularly about what properties might be ripe for a re-tooling, and for which potential buyer. Like "How about a fun, party-like reincarnation of "Match Game" for someone like FOX?"  ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

toddyo

Picking A Revival
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 10:59:07 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jul 14 2004, 09:41 PM\'] As most of the formats worthy of a revival are now owned by one of a very small handful of companies it is safe to assume that the development people at those companies ask themselves regularly about what properties might be ripe for a re-tooling, and for which potential buyer. Like "How about a fun, party-like reincarnation of "Match Game" for someone like FOX?"  ;-)

[/quote]
 Get ready to match the stars....

From Seinfeld, Phil Morris.....Brett Butler.....Jm J. Bullock...From Trading Places, Paige Davis, Michael Ian Black and Betty White

as they play...Match Game 2004!!!!

And now, here's the star of the Match Game.....

Bob Goen!!!!!!

It could work!

tvrandywest

Picking A Revival
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 11:14:15 AM »
[quote name=\'toddyo\' date=\'Jul 14 2004, 06:59 PM\'] And now, here's the star of the Match Game.....
Bob Goen!!!!!!
It could work! [/quote]
Sure could.

But how about calling it "What The Blank" with Fred Willard as host, Martin Mull and Anna Nichole Smith on the panel, and that Randy guy doing announce and warm-up? A big fancy set and a lot of free-wheeling fun. We should have Mandel on the producing team to keep the game pure and the questions funny.
I can see it now... or as soon as I put the DVD in the machine   ;-)

Hope you get to see it soon!!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 11:15:32 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

uncamark

Picking A Revival
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 12:08:13 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 10:14 AM\'][quote name=\'toddyo\' date=\'Jul 14 2004, 06:59 PM\'] And now, here's the star of the Match Game.....
Bob Goen!!!!!!
It could work! [/quote]
Sure could.

But how about calling it "What The Blank" with Fred Willard as host, Martin Mull and Anna Nichole Smith on the panel, and that Randy guy doing announce and warm-up? A big fancy set and a lot of free-wheeling fun. We should have Mandel on the producing team to keep the game pure and the questions funny.
I can see it now... or as soon as I put the DVD in the machine   ;-)

Hope you get to see it soon!![/quote]
Unfortunately, Mike Darnell's more interested in knocking off other networks' reality concepts.

Nice to see that in at least one instance, that tendency might just bite him in the rear end.  (Since registration is required, the story reports that the California State Athletic Commission may put out of business "The Next Great Champ" because it considers the producers promoters and only Oscar de la Hoya's company is licensed as a boxing promoter in California--Endemol isn't.)

GS Warehouse

Picking A Revival
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 02:47:29 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 11:14 AM\'] ... Anna Nichole Smith ... [/quote]
 Sorry Randy, but What the Blank just jumped the shark!

tvrandywest

Picking A Revival
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2004, 03:37:42 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 10:47 AM\'] [quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 11:14 AM\'] ... Anna Nichole Smith ... [/quote]
Sorry Randy, but What the Blank just jumped the shark! [/quote]
Love it, Jason. But she's lost weight... now it's just jumping the large tuna!!

Anna was SOOOO unwittingly funny that she either is seriously brain deficient or gifted beyond any actress who ever played that "dumb blond" act previously (I vote the former). She presents great fodder for Fred Willard as she's confused about the game, comes up with whacked answers, and forgets what she's talking about. Priceless. For my tastes Carol Wayne was prettier and would be fun to spend time with, but never played "the lights are on, but nobody's home" this well.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 03:38:24 PM by tvrandywest »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Picking A Revival
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 04:48:38 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 10:14 AM\'] But how about calling it "What The Blank" with Fred Willard as host, Martin Mull and Anna Nichole Smith on the panel, and that Randy guy doing announce and warm-up? [/quote]
Randy who? :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 04:49:20 PM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

adamjk

Picking A Revival
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2004, 04:51:55 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 02:37 PM\'] 

Anna was SOOOO unwittingly funny..... [/quote]
HOW FUNNY WAS SHE?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 04:52:47 PM by adamjk »

Skynet74

Picking A Revival
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2004, 05:34:00 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 02:37 PM\']
Anna was SOOOO unwittingly funny that she either is seriously brain deficient or gifted beyond any actress who ever played that "dumb blond" act previously (I vote the former).

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]

I'm with you Randy. She's got a lot of empty space up there but it's incredibly funny to watch. It's like a train wreck. You just can't look away. It's like Beetlejuice or Crackhead Bob. You know that it's not right to laugh at them........ but can you really help it? Based on your decriptions I think this will be one hell of a great revival.

John

BrandonFG

Picking A Revival
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2004, 05:50:00 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 01:47 PM\'] [quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 11:14 AM\'] ... Anna Nichole Smith ... [/quote]
 But if that's the case, so did H2...wasn't she one of the rotating center squares?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Brandon Brooks

Picking A Revival
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2004, 05:51:21 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 04:50 PM\'] But if that's the case, so did H2...wasn't she one of the rotating center squares? [/quote]
 Heavens no.

Brandon Brooks

sshuffield70

Picking A Revival
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2004, 05:52:11 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 04:50 PM\'] [quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 01:47 PM\'] [quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 11:14 AM\'] ... Anna Nichole Smith ... [/quote]
But if that's the case, so did H2...wasn't she one of the rotating center squares? [/quote]
 WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!!!!!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Picking A Revival
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2004, 06:02:03 PM »
I have a game show revival for Courtney Love: Name That Loon.