Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy  (Read 4095 times)

Jimmy Owen

Jeopardy
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2004, 05:41:36 PM »
I don't have any inside info, but the producers do.  If he does make it to September, wouldn't that another good time (maybe even better) to make the rounds?  If he doesn't, I figure right now would be the only time for the appearances.  Time will tell.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Robert Hutchinson

Jeopardy
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2004, 08:55:10 PM »
Heaven help me, but I think I understand Adam's question to be: If Ken finished the season with, say, $1,200,000, then won the ToC, would his total winnings on the next regular-season show be announced as $1,200,000 or $1,450,000?

And I'm almost certain the answer is that champions that have not been defeated by the end of a J! season do not qualify for that season's ToC in the first place.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

starcade

Jeopardy
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2004, 09:05:44 PM »
At this point, I don't think he could be in the ToC until he loses, nor could there be one...

Obviously, any winnings he would pick up would be recognized as one sum total, but it does raise interesting questions...

starcade

Jeopardy
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2004, 09:07:15 PM »
Agreed on the capitalizing on the milestone:  This is the first time that any game show contestant has reached $1,000,000 without some sort of giveaway or gimmick for that amount.

Jeopardy! has now equaled Wheel in the ratings, according to Steve, so why wouldn't they...

And, if he gets to the end of the season, it might not be "When will he lose?" but "Will he lose?"

aaron sica

Jeopardy
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2004, 09:17:34 PM »
As stupid and idiotic as this sounds, I wonder if he would ever grow bored of winning, day in and day out, and just simply blow an FJ!, or not bet enough, or do something to end his reign. Mind you, this is not something that I want him to do, I enjoy seeing him as champ, but it's something I've wondered about.

Michael Larson, as we know, ended at $110,237 but he could have kept going if he wanted to - he chose to stop, as best I remember, and passed his spins. How much further he could have went, I guess, depends on if CBS would have stopped him.

starcade

Jeopardy
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2004, 09:21:59 PM »
Re: Larsen on PYL

It's pretty well common knowledge CBS _couldn't_ have stopped him -- see GSN's one good game show documentary on Larsen's run for that one.

As far as Aaron's point:  I've been beginning to wonder if the only way he might be ousted (short of an early-season exit, when his timing has not come back) would be some sort of resignation of the championship on a voluntary basis.  I mean, think:  Only 7 of his games have not ended in a runaway, out of 32.

This is getting nuts.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Jeopardy
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2004, 09:37:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 05:55 PM\'] Heaven help me, but I think I understand Adam's question to be: If Ken finished the season with, say, $1,200,000, then won the ToC, would his total winnings on the next regular-season show be announced as $1,200,000 or $1,450,000?
 [/quote]
 Ah. Then my original answer ("who the hell CARES?") stands. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

adamjk

Jeopardy
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2004, 09:51:12 PM »
As I said before, you may not care, but I do.

starcade

Jeopardy
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2004, 10:30:32 PM »
I think the only real question would be, if he were still champ and they decided to do a ToC, whether he might, with sufficient further regular-season wins (assuming an early-season ToC), be eligible for ANOTHER ToC...

Otherwise, it does sound like a somewhat pointless question...

clemon79

Jeopardy
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2004, 10:37:37 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 06:51 PM\'] As I said before, you may not care, but I do. [/quote]
 You are, I assure you, alone in that sentiment.

dzinkin

Jeopardy
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2004, 10:38:55 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 09:51 PM\'] As I said before, you may not care, but I do. [/quote]
I don't think there's anyone here who would doubt that you care about a great many things even when no one else does. :-)  That's your right, but you shouldn't be surprised to find that no one has an answer to your question when it never occurred to anyone else to ask it in the first place.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 10:39:26 PM by dzinkin »

starcade

Jeopardy
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2004, 10:39:20 PM »
I would presume that, if he were eligible, they'd add it.

Game show convention would imply that all winnings on a show are combined (which see Carpenter's $1,125,000 total for his regular and ToC Millionaire appearances...).

So I would presume, if he were to be in a ToC concurrent with his championship (and allowed to continue), they would combine.

clemon79

Jeopardy
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2004, 10:43:15 PM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 07:39 PM\']
Game show convention would imply [/quote]
 Besides "an occasional fan gathering", what the HELL is "game show convention"?

starcade

Jeopardy
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2004, 08:16:23 PM »
Conventional wisdom...

For example, I would believe conventional wisdom would add Rutter's cars to the total, making the syndie record about $100K away now...

PPatters

Jeopardy
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2004, 01:31:09 AM »
Whether or not anyone else cares, as someone once mentioned before, this board is exactly the board to bring questions about game shows that no one else cares about. And, whether or not anyone cares, the first question raised was: what does it matter? It matters almost none, surely; but, how much of the stuff on this board REALLY matters? No one is dying because of it yet ;)

He was just wondering; I mean, the fact that some people HAVE answered seriously means that some people actually do seem to care enough as to provide a real answer :)
Patrick