Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WWTBAM audition question  (Read 2337 times)

Samer

WWTBAM audition question
« on: July 13, 2004, 01:07:20 PM »
I have an audition scheduled for the syndicated version on a Monday in late August. My question: do the auditions typically run the full three hours, or is that just a "block this much time out, it usually doesn't run that long" kind of thing?

goongas

WWTBAM audition question
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 05:34:06 PM »
It takes no more than an hour, if that.

BrentW

WWTBAM audition question
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 12:37:31 AM »
I have scheduled an interview then too.  Peter or anyone who has taken it: how is the test?  Can you give me a bit of info like how is it (multiple choice, FITB, True/False), how hard it is, what to brush up on, and anything else you can tell me?  My friends and I, who have also scheduled auditions, are taking a roadtrip and are hoping at least one of us gets on.  Any info on ANYTHING to do with the audition process for syndie Millionaire is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Brent

Steve McClellan

WWTBAM audition question
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 01:36:48 AM »
Thirty multiple-choice questions, answered on a Scantron form. I personally didn't find the test particularly difficult, possibly since I'm a fairly good guesser. I'd estimate between 1/4 and 1/5 of my group passed. Those who did went onto an interview about what they'd talk about if they got on the show and what they'd do if they won $1,000,000.

Brush up on anything and everything. I'm firmly convinced that Millionaire is the toughest show on the planet to study for. If you have any weak areas, I would especially recommend learning as much sub-$1000-level-type material as you can in those areas, though.

Peter Sarrett

WWTBAM audition question
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 04:49:48 AM »
The questions on the test are about at the $32K level.  There were quite a few science questions when I took it, running the gamut-- biology, astronomy, chemistry, etc.  The others were all over the map.  I didn't study for the test, and for the show I only crammed on maps (figuring that visual information was the most likely thing to stick in my brain at the last minute-- and it would have worked for me if I'd been a couple of contestants sooner, when a question came up that I only knew because of my map cramming!).

The biggest piece of advice I can give you isn't about the test, which you'll either pass or you won't-- I really don't think there's much you can do to prepare yourself in advance for it.  The interview and application are an entirely different story.

The smartest thing I did that day-- apart from showing up early enough to be admitted-- was that when they handed me the application form after I passed the test, I didn't rush through it.  In my group, about 20 people passed the test.  They did 3 audition groups that day.  That's about 60 people passing the test.  I knew all 60 wouldn't make it to the show.  In fact, I couldn't imagine more than 5-10 would.  So I had to make myself stand out and present myself as someone who'd make a good contestant and good television.

They give you about 10 questions and ask you to answer half of them.  Stuff like:

* What would you do if you won $1,000,000?
* You'd never know it, but I...
* Tell us about your hobbies
* My most embarassing moment was...
* I'm most passionate about...

and so forth.  If you get this far, really think about your answers.  Find ways to respond that will set you apart from everyone else.  Think about what's unique about your life and experiences.  What would make for a good story for Meredith to talk to you about in the hotseat?  That application is the real audition.  Treat it that way.

After filling out the application, you'll talk very briefly to a producer.  Be positive and upbeat, but natural.  Be coherent.  Demonstrate that you can speak clearly and think on your feet.  Show them you won't be a lox on camera.  Hopefully, this just means to be yourself.  I suspect it doesn't matter how many questions you get right on the test-- if your application doesn't stick out and you're a zero in the interview, you'll never get into the hotseat.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 09:33:34 PM by Peter Sarrett »

BrentW

WWTBAM audition question
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 03:14:05 PM »
Thank you so much!!!  :)

Brent

starcade

WWTBAM audition question
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 10:33:20 PM »
I'm planning on taking the test in late August too -- but the one thing is that I do wish they would go on more than just stories (I mean life stories here...) to get the contestants...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
WWTBAM audition question
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2004, 10:40:59 PM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 07:33 PM\'] I'm planning on taking the test in late August too -- but the one thing is that I do wish they would go on more than just stories (I mean life stories here...) to get the contestants... [/quote]
 As opposed to what?

What that says to me is "I know I'm completely uninteresting, but they should let me be on TV anyhow."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve McClellan

WWTBAM audition question
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 11:47:34 PM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 07:33 PM\']I'm planning on taking the test in late August too -- but the one thing is that I do wish they would go on more than just stories (I mean life stories here...) to get the contestants...[/quote]
Ya know, you don't have to have the most fascinating life story on the planet. You do, however, have to have a personality somewhat more interesting than that of your average blue-tongued skink. That can be worked on; you may wish to do that.

zachhoran

WWTBAM audition question
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 09:19:52 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 09:40 PM\']

What that says to me is "I know I'm completely uninteresting, but they should let me be on TV anyhow." [/quote]
 I guess THIS is why some people missed the phone game process for the three years it ceased to be used.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
WWTBAM audition question
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2004, 12:14:11 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 16 2004, 06:19 AM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 09:40 PM\']

What that says to me is "I know I'm completely uninteresting, but they should let me be on TV anyhow." [/quote]
I guess THIS is why some people missed the phone game process for the three years it ceased to be used. [/quote]
 Oh, the irony.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Timsterino

WWTBAM audition question
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2004, 12:31:47 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 11:47 PM\'] [quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Jul 15 2004, 07:33 PM\']I'm planning on taking the test in late August too -- but the one thing is that I do wish they would go on more than just stories (I mean life stories here...) to get the contestants...[/quote]
Ya know, you don't have to have the most fascinating life story on the planet. You do, however, have to have a personality somewhat more interesting than that of your average blue-tongued skink. That can be worked on; you may wish to do that. [/quote]
Exactly what Steve said. Also you need to have a hook of some kind. My hook was the fact that I won a chance and I played one-on-one with Alonzo Mourning because of my sweepstaking hobby.

You need to have something above average and interesting to talk with Meredith about. Most people can dig in their past to find something like that. Like it or not,  from what I have seen and personally experienced, it is a large factor in contestant selection.

Of course you stilll have to pass the test.

Good luck!
Tim :-)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 12:35:40 PM by Timsterino »

Steve McClellan

WWTBAM audition question
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2004, 03:05:19 AM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Jul 16 2004, 09:31 AM\'] My hook was the fact that I won a chance and I played one-on-one with Alonzo Mourning because of my sweepstaking hobby. [/quote]
 Hmmm, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you didn't win... ;)

Timsterino

WWTBAM audition question
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2004, 03:10:02 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Jul 17 2004, 03:05 AM\'] [quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Jul 16 2004, 09:31 AM\'] My hook was the fact that I won a chance and I played one-on-one with Alonzo Mourning because of my sweepstaking hobby. [/quote]
Hmmm, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you didn't win... ;) [/quote]
 Is it a sturdy limb? Ok, ok, no I did not win but I did get a foul shot in. lol.

Tim :-)