Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Live  (Read 3113 times)

Rastaub

TPIR Live
« on: July 17, 2004, 01:04:27 AM »
Just got back from the TPIR LIve Show at Showboat.  

This forum was well represented with myself (Bob Staub), Andrew Kudey, Chris Bogart, Eric Panchenko, Chuck Donegan, Brian Schwartz, Joe Liebmann, and John Ricci.

We had Daniel Rosen as our announcer. Daniel sported a pink suit. Todd Newton was the host.

The contestant selection process was interesting, each person had a Millionaire style keypad, and you had to determine the highest and lowest priced items from selected years. The first four in went to contestant row.  

The first game was Race Game. The contestant won in a near record time of 12 seconds.

The second game was Hole in One for a trip to Vegas. It was lost not once but twice, as it morphed into Hole in 2.  

The Big Wheel was 3rd, and due to the first 2 players going over, a measly 20 cents won 250.

Up next, was Cliffhangers, and our own Chris Bogart was one of the contestants. Chris slighly overbid on the IUFB (a ladies watch). It was 248 and Chris guessed 240. The Cliffhangers contestant ended up being a total putz thinking that the last prize was less than the second prize.  

Up last was It's in the bag. It was played for 2400.  The player ended up winning 0, after getting the third price wrong.  

The Grand Finale was the Showacase.  It went for 17K. The contestant was only 500 off and took home among other things a Mini-Cooper a washer/dryer and a truip to Tahoe.  

A fun time was had by all and we all met up for pictures with Todd, Daniel, and the models after the show.

Timsterino

TPIR Live
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 03:14:12 AM »
Sounds like you guys had a great time! I am glad to hear it.

It is almost the same line-up as in Reno except instead of "In the Bag" they played "Plinko" in Reno.

Thanks for sharing the recap!

Tim :-)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 03:14:44 AM by Timsterino »

cmjb13

TPIR Live
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 09:38:55 AM »
I'm not really sure the woman in the showcase won the mini-cooper. I think you had to be $100 or less to win it. Anyways it was a pretty good bid.

On the ladies watch, I actually bid $250, when the actual price was $240. Disappointed...sure. But thank god I didn't lose by $1. And it was a shame too as the strategy to win Cliffhangers was exactly as the daytime show $20, $30, $40. The prize... A refrigerator.

I did notice during the registration process that there was an eligibility list. I did notice one which I'm curious if it applied to me. I think the rule said if you work for, are related to, or know a Fremantle employee you are ineligible.

I know several (from Price). For those in the know, if I had won the fridge, would I have been able to keep it?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 09:39:18 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

cmjb13

TPIR Live
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 12:20:13 PM »
One additional thing I found very funny and I guess it was because the way it was presented was when Rosen told the audience to watch the screen to find out who our host was and they showed several clips of Todd.

It seemed (unintentionally) to be a smarky political goof spot with the line something like this: "Todd Newton is loved by millions of people in over 100 countries."

That's Priceless.

The video is available at his website: http://www.toddnewtononline.com

That said he did a good job. Much more toned down.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 03:38:04 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

zachhoran

TPIR Live
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 07:21:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Rastaub\' date=\'Jul 17 2004, 12:04 AM\']

This forum was well represented with myself (Bob Staub), Andrew Kudey, Chris Bogart, Eric Panchenko, Chuck Donegan, Brian Schwartz, Joe Liebmann, and John Ricci.

[/quote]
 I know Joe and Dave Z.(who asked me if I was going, but he didn't end up attending this weekend) and Eric had asked me if I was going. I didn't know if you'd still be coming this weekend or not, or I'd maybe have made a cameo, though work seemed to get in the way of a lot this week.

dzinkin

TPIR Live
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 08:07:36 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 17 2004, 07:21 PM\'] I know Joe and Dave Z.(who asked me if I was going, but he didn't end up attending this weekend) and Eric had asked me if I was going. I didn't know if you'd still be coming this weekend or not, or I'd maybe have made a cameo, though work seemed to get in the way of a lot this week. [/quote]
 For me, a wedding got in the way.  Only reason I'm here now is that I was able to escape to the hotel room and its Internet connection. :-)

Glad to know everyone had a good time.  Sorry I couldn't make it -- perhaps someday.

JTFriends1

TPIR Live
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 12:35:13 AM »
I was at the show during its premiere night (had a fantastic time - incredibly impressive recreation)- and I'd like to add one sentiment that's often been posted in the past, specifically regarding Todd Newton and his approachability - a true class act.

I'm not sure if this has occurred at EVERY show, but after premiere night, Todd and Daniel took the time after the show to sign autographs, take pictures, shake hands, and have a conversation with anybody who wanted to.  Todd and I spoke briefly about Whammy and the (unfortunate) direction GSN has been headed/is heading as of late.  However, Todd was extremely interested in meeting his fans, incredibly interesting to talk to, and had a genuine interest in what people were saying to him.  It was a true pleasure having the, albeit brief, opportunity to meet him and speak with him.

In a society where television demands shock value, comedy, raucousness, and IMHO inappropriate behavior, its nice to see one person keeping true to the trade of being a rather simplistic, classic and classy, down to earth game show host in the likes of Barker, Rayburn, Cullen, etc - as opposed to the Joe Rogans of the world (no offense to Joe or his fans - just the first name that came to mind).  Hopefully there's room for more people such as Todd (including Todd) in the television landscape.  

-Jay

BTW - Todd did a fabulous job too.

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
TPIR Live
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2004, 03:20:52 AM »
[quote name=\'JTFriends1\' date=\'Jul 17 2004, 09:35 PM\'] I was at the show during its premiere night (had a fantastic time - incredibly impressive recreation)- and I'd like to add one sentiment that's often been posted in the past, specifically regarding Todd Newton and his approachability - a true class act. [/quote]
 A sentiment that I, having encountered Todd a bit more frequently than many of this establishment's regulars (save at the very least Randy, Mandel and Jason Hernandez), must absolutely concur with.  I got to see Todd again on a recent excursion to Las Vegas; it was purely for vacation, but I learned Todd was in town working on Powerball Instant Millionaire, so I made a point to stop in and see the old boy.

He reports (West Coasters take note, just in case you aren't already aware) that the first two weeks of the San Diego TPIR Live shows will be hosted by Chris Harrison, mostly because Harrison has another season of The Bachelor to host.  After that, it's Todd and Randy all the way.  He (as is Randy, of course) is very much expecting the West Coast contingent, and looking forward to hanging out with us/them.

Time to start plotting, gang.
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

catkins522

TPIR Live
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2004, 04:08:00 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Jul 17 2004, 07:07 PM\'] For me, a wedding got in the way. [/quote]
 Hopefully, it's not yours...  Otherwise, your bride might be upset with you.

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

jrjgames

TPIR Live
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2004, 09:43:14 PM »

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
TPIR Live
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2004, 11:06:51 PM »
Okay, John, those are just cool.  I can only hope I can come back with shots as cool as yours when I go to the San Diego show.
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

jrjgames

TPIR Live
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2004, 01:04:57 AM »
[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' date=\'Jul 18 2004, 10:06 PM\'] Okay, John, those are just cool.  I can only hope I can come back with shots as cool as yours when I go to the San Diego show. [/quote]
Thank you very much!  Im sure you will have a blast...Todd is a great guy and a cool friend...he is doing the San Diego shows for sure!  As I've not seen my partner in crime Marc Summers host yet, I know he'd be a hot ticket to see.

Has anyone attended Marc's Kansas City shows?  I'd love to hear some comments!

John
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 01:05:16 AM by jrjgames »

zachhoran

TPIR Live
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2004, 09:02:07 PM »
To Randy or whomever would know:

Any word on who will be hosting and announcing TPIR Live after Todd and Daniel depart AC(Todd for San Diego)?

TimK2003

TPIR Live
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2004, 09:13:40 PM »
Is there any TPIR Live website out there that lists current and future show dates, and/or any additional info about the show?

tvrandywest

TPIR Live
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2004, 11:13:49 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Jul 19 2004, 05:13 PM\'] Is there any TPIR Live website out there that lists current and future show dates, and/or any additional info about the show? [/quote]
I don't know of a website, but I believe the hotels have information if you call for reservations. There have been and will be posts by members who saw the show in Reno and/or Kansas City as well as this summer's run in Atlantic City and San Diego. I suggest you do a search or e-mail them directly. If all else fails, I posted some general information about the show's format on my website's "news" page.

The presently scheduled dates:
In AC - Now through the first week of September. Sun-Fri evenings
In SD - 7/29 through 9/19. Thurs-Sun evenings plus Sat and Sun matinees

I'll be in SD with host Chris Harrison (ABC's "The Bachelor") for approximately the first 10 days before Todd returns home. I don't have info on who will be in AC.

Although several have been mentioned. I have no solid information about future cities. But as the show has been overwhelmingly successful and Harrah's has many properties... Todd may be using a walker before it's all over   ;-)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 11:16:02 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com