Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The To Tell the Truth Episode Guide  (Read 6656 times)

MatchGameDotOrg

The To Tell the Truth Episode Guide
« on: July 11, 2004, 10:58:56 PM »
We've made some significant updates to the To Tell the Truth Episode Guide (1969-1978) recently--most notably, quite a bit of population to the first season guide.  And now we'd like to start work on the last two seasons.

I have here a listing of Bill Cullen/Joe Garagiola episodes from GSN schedules starting 8/12/96 thru 12/6/96.  At the time, TTTT episodes with Joe Garagiola ran weekdays at 7:00AM, and Garry Moore episodes ran at 1:00 PM.  What it looks like to me, is that GSN probably just completed the run of non-Garry Moore hosted TTTT episodes on 10/25/96, and started the cycle over again the next Monday, 10/28/96, with the first two weeks of the Bill Cullen hosted episodes.  

My question is this: does anyone know when the non-Garry Moore episodes were added to the GSN schedule back in the day?  I've done a Google search of alt.tv.game-shows with no luck.   I contend that, whenever these episodes were added to the schedule, GSN would have started with the first week after Garry's last full taping, 12/21/76 (per Gil Fates' book).  With this information we could gain completeness over the number of post-Garry Moore episodes.

Thanks!

Marshall Akers

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 07:29:22 AM »
Brian's done some terrific work on all the TTTT seasons, but special commendations for his fact-finding on the elusive first year.  And not just panels, but contestant info, too...

Tremendous job, Brian!  

Marshall

AH3RD

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 08:47:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Marshall Akers\' date=\'Jul 12 2004, 06:29 AM\'] Brian's done some terrific work on all the TTTT seasons, but special commendations for his fact-finding on the elusive first year.  And not just panels, but contestant info, too...

Tremendous job, Brian! 

Marshall [/quote]
I just saw the newly revamped T4 EPG! Pretty impressive!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 08:49:05 AM by AH3RD »
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

Ian Wallis

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 09:20:36 AM »
My question is this: does anyone know when the non-Garry Moore episodes were added to the GSN schedule back in the day?

The best of my recollection is that Joe Garagiola's episodes were added on GSN's first major schedule change, January 1, 1996.  During the Christmas-New Year's week that year, I remember Peter Tomarken highlighting the new schedule during "Prime Games", and he mentioned that Joe's episodes (aka that version's final season) would be premiering the first day of the schedule change.

That same day they also added Jim Perry's "Card Sharks", Tom Kennedy's "Body Language", and went to different seasons of "Joker's Wild", "Tic Tac Dough", "Wheel of Fortune" and "Jeopardy", among other changes.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

David Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 10:49:03 AM »
Great job, Brian!

adamjk

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 11:55:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jul 12 2004, 08:20 AM\']
My question is this: does anyone know when the non-Garry Moore episodes were added to the GSN schedule back in the day?

The best of my recollection is that Joe Garagiola's episodes were added on GSN's first major schedule change, January 1, 1996.  During the Christmas-New Year's week that year, I remember Peter Tomarken highlighting the new schedule during "Prime Games", and he mentioned that Joe's episodes (aka that version's final season) would be premiering the first day of the schedule change.

That same day they also added Jim Perry's "Card Sharks", Tom Kennedy's "Body Language", and went to different seasons of "Joker's Wild", "Tic Tac Dough", "Wheel of Fortune" and "Jeopardy", among other changes. [/quote]
 Was that when Combs Feud first appeared on the schedule as well?

aaron sica

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 12:26:36 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Jul 12 2004, 11:55 AM\'] Was that when Combs Feud first appeared on the schedule as well? [/quote]
 Combs Feud first appeared on the schedule from the outset; they had an hour of "Feud" from 3pm-4pm weekdays (much like the hour we have now from 5pm-6pm) with Dawson at 3pm and Combs at 3:30.

And before you ask, I don't remember if it was the daytime or nighttime versions that they aired at that time.

zachhoran

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 07:10:17 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jul 12 2004, 11:26 AM\'] Combs at 3:30.

And before you ask, I don't remember if it was the daytime or nighttime versions that they aired at that time. [/quote]
 They aired strictly SYndie Combs Feud from 1994-late 1996. FF Challenge aired from Dec 1996-Oct 1997. Daytime half hour Combs episodes didn't have a regular schedule spot until 2000(on weekends) and May 2001(weekdays)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 11:44:15 PM »
[quote name=\'David Lawrence\' date=\'Jul 12 2004, 09:49 AM\'] Great job, Brian! [/quote]
 What he said.  Oh, to go back to those old days and see these shows one more time. . .

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

ChuckNet

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2004, 06:51:18 PM »
What he said. Oh, to go back to those old days and see these shows one more time. . .

Reminds me of my pre-GSN days as a 17YO kid, watching bits and pieces of poor-quality transmissions via Microsoft NetShow on my old 28.8K... :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Nostalgic "Chuckie Baby")

MatchGameDotOrg

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2004, 06:02:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jul 12 2004, 07:20 AM\']The best of my recollection is that Joe Garagiola's episodes were added on GSN's first major schedule change, January 1, 1996.  During the Christmas-New Year's week that year, I remember Peter Tomarken highlighting the new schedule during "Prime Games", and he mentioned that Joe's episodes (aka that version's final season) would be premiering the first day of the schedule change.[/quote]
Thanks for everybody’s kind words, and thanks Ian for the GSN help.  Suddenly an episode guide that looked impossible to put together isn't looking so tough.