Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ken Jennings mention on K-Love  (Read 4551 times)

Craig Karlberg

Ken Jennings mention on K-Love
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2004, 04:36:18 AM »
Not only that, Utah is considered the youngest populated state whose average mediam age is around 24 or 25 I think.

I always thought being a Mormon was an offshoot of the Christain religion.  I was a Christian once but I decided that that religion wasn't really my thing anyway.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2004, 10:06:37 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jul 20 2004, 03:36 AM\'] I always thought being a Mormon was an offshoot of the Christain religion.  I was a Christian once but I decided that that religion wasn't really my thing anyway. [/quote]
 I always liked Dennis Miller's take on this (rough paraphrase for the set up, quoting for the punchline):

People continually stop me to tell me that they've been born again.  Pardon me for getting it right the first time.

Golly, I forgot the curse words.  :)

Doug -- admittedly this didn't add much to the conversation, but if even one person here chuckled, it was all worth it.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2004, 10:13:22 AM »
Leave it to a strange guy to find another irony in all this... allowing Ken to stay on is Sony's way of apologizing to Mormons for cancelling Donny Osmond. Twice. ;-)

zachhoran

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2004, 10:25:44 AM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Jul 20 2004, 09:13 AM\'] Leave it to a strange guy to find another irony in all this... allowing Ken to stay on is Sony's way of apologizing to Mormons for cancelling Donny Osmond. Twice. ;-) [/quote]
 There was a lameass category in J!'s first round yesterday: Donny(OSmond), Loni(Anderson), or Yanni, where the correct response to each clue was one of those three people. Ken calls Donny in jest "my man".

tvwxman

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2004, 02:20:38 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jul 20 2004, 09:06 AM\'] [quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jul 20 2004, 03:36 AM\'] I always thought being a Mormon was an offshoot of the Christain religion.  I was a Christian once but I decided that that religion wasn't really my thing anyway. [/quote]
I always liked Dennis Miller's take on this (rough paraphrase for the set up, quoting for the punchline):

People continually stop me to tell me that they've been born again.  Pardon me for getting it right the first time.

Golly, I forgot the curse words.  :)

Doug -- admittedly this didn't add much to the conversation, but if even one person here chuckled, it was all worth it. [/quote]
 That's alright. Neither did Karlberg.

Matt (who also, added nothing to the conversation. Guilty!)
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

uncamark

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2004, 02:54:31 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 20 2004, 09:25 AM\'][quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Jul 20 2004, 09:13 AM\'] Leave it to a strange guy to find another irony in all this... allowing Ken to stay on is Sony's way of apologizing to Mormons for cancelling Donny Osmond. Twice. ;-) [/quote]
There was a lameass category in J!'s first round yesterday: Donny(OSmond), Loni(Anderson), or Yanni, where the correct response to each clue was one of those three people. Ken calls Donny in jest "my man".[/quote]
Of course, when the people at K-Love find out Ken's a big NPR listener (as he mentioned in one of the interviews), they'll probably start calling him a Commie.  :)

And mark my words--if and when he finally falls, Terry Gross will interview him on "Fresh Air."

sshuffield70

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2004, 07:30:46 PM »
Actually, K-Love is more like a radio ID tag.  Several markets including Dallas have "Power", "Sunny", and even "K-Love" (In Dallas, that's the oldies station).  And normally, none of them are related.

aaron sica

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2004, 07:36:35 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jul 20 2004, 07:30 PM\'] Actually, K-Love is more like a radio ID tag.  Several markets including Dallas have "Power", "Sunny", and even "K-Love" (In Dallas, that's the oldies station).  And normally, none of them are related. [/quote]
A lot of radio stations seem to have nicknames now....."River" seems to be one that ClearChannel attaches to a lot of its stations (River97.3 in Harrisburg, PA, and there's another "River" owned by CC down in Delaware somewhere)...

ObGameShow: Nothing against Ken in the least, but to me it's not a big deal WHERE Ken is mentioned, because he's brought game shows (at least temporarily) into the main stream. Ken's everywhere, and it doesn't surprise me in the least where he's mentioned.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 07:37:54 PM by aaron sica »

rigsby

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2004, 11:28:35 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jul 20 2004, 06:30 PM\'] Actually, K-Love is more like a radio ID tag.  Several markets including Dallas have "Power", "Sunny", and even "K-Love" (In Dallas, that's the oldies station).  And normally, none of them are related. [/quote]
 Normally, the K-Loves are all related, since aside from Dallas/Ft. Worth's KLUV, they're all running the exact same satellite feed.

BrandonFG

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2004, 02:45:21 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jul 20 2004, 06:36 PM\'] [quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jul 20 2004, 07:30 PM\'] Actually, K-Love is more like a radio ID tag.  Several markets including Dallas have "Power", "Sunny", and even "K-Love" (In Dallas, that's the oldies station).  And normally, none of them are related. [/quote]
A lot of radio stations seem to have nicknames now....."River" seems to be one that ClearChannel attaches to a lot of its stations (River97.3 in Harrisburg, PA, and there's another "River" owned by CC down in Delaware somewhere)...
 [/quote]
 And I think most of the ClearChannel R&B stations are nicknamed "Kiss ___ FM." Norfolk's is 105.3, the "NEW" Kiss FM.

ObGameShows: Balderdash sounds interesting.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2004, 08:59:45 AM »
And I think most of the ClearChannel R&B stations are nicknamed "Kiss ___ FM." Norfolk's is 105.3, the "NEW" Kiss FM.

We have a station near here whose call letters are WKSE.  They call themselves Kiss 98.5 and mostly play what's on the Hot 100 chart.  Most cities seem to have a "Star" as well.

Nothing against Ken in the least, but to me it's not a big deal WHERE Ken is mentioned, because he's brought game shows (at least temporarily) into the main stream. Ken's everywhere, and it doesn't surprise me in the least where he's mentioned.

And it's brought "Jeopardy's" ratings up.  Once Ken is finally defeated (whenever that may be), do you think the show's ratings will drop back down again?  It would be nice if this interest were to be sustained, but I'm not so sure it will be.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 09:00:06 AM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

aaron sica

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2004, 09:54:16 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 21 2004, 02:45 AM\'] And I think most of the ClearChannel R&B stations are nicknamed "Kiss ___ FM." Norfolk's is 105.3, the "NEW" Kiss FM.
 [/quote]
 You would be right....Harrisburg also has a "KISS 99.3 FM" owned by CC.

ObGameShow: Rayburn left BtB.

sshuffield70

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2004, 09:56:05 AM »
Gannett (USA Today) started the format in the early 80s, and I guess those stations involved were all sold to CC in the last few years.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2004, 10:03:27 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jul 21 2004, 08:54 AM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 21 2004, 02:45 AM\'] And I think most of the ClearChannel R&B stations are nicknamed "Kiss ___ FM." Norfolk's is 105.3, the "NEW" Kiss FM.
 [/quote]
You would be right....Harrisburg also has a "KISS 99.3 FM" owned by CC.

ObGameShow: Rayburn left BtB. [/quote]
 It's not just R&B/urban formats, though.  Ian mentioned a CC station in his market with the "Kiss" moniker that's mostly CHR (or, for us old fogies, Top 40).  Chicago's CC CHR outlet also carries the "Kiss" moniker (as CC already owns several urban formatted stations here).  While their recent ratings still aren't as high as Infinity's WBBM-FM (B-96), which leans more dance than pop, WKSC had a pretty nice spring book in the ratings released yesterday.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)