Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interesting gs find in some old junk  (Read 1690 times)

ITSBRY

Interesting gs find in some old junk
« on: July 27, 2004, 11:28:33 AM »
I was going through some old stuff for a garage sale several weeks back and came across a cassette tape.  When I played it in the car stereo, I was delighted to find that it contained five or six audio recordings of the "Top Card" closing theme.  I have no memory of recording them at all, so it was a nice surprise!

There is A LOT of audience in these clips, but you can still hear the theme fairly well.  I'm going to try to get this recorded in electronic format so I can share it with y'all as I don't think it's available anywhere.

I do have a question though...does anyone remember the opening of this show?  I can't remember how the host/hostess were introduced or how the opening spiel went.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

gsfan85

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 11:36:39 AM »
The intro started off with a question:

Who played Tony Manero in the hit disco film "Saturday Night Fever"?

Then they said some spiel that ended with TOP CARD!
And now here's your host, Jim Caldwell.

He would come out and then introduce the hostess.  Later on they would come out at the same time.

Does anyone remember when it was called "Musical Top Card"?

Adam

sshuffield70

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 02:24:09 PM »
It was never actually called "Musical Top Card".  They simply didn't go the pop culture route of the first season or two, and went to all music based questions (like its' predecessor, "Fandango".)

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 07:06:59 PM »
[quote name=\'gsfan85\' date=\'Jul 27 2004, 10:36 AM\']

Does anyone remember when it was called "Musical Top Card"?

Adam [/quote]
 Don Dashiell would call it "The ALl New Musical Top Card" starting in season two, when the questions became all about music(about 70% of the questions were about country music, and 30% non-country, like Fandango did for its last two seasons). Jim or Dan Miller always called it only Top Card on air.

JerrysFeudinAgain

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 10:16:25 PM »
Does Caldwell talk about the red boxes on your tape?  :)

ITSBRY

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 01:20:56 AM »
[quote name=\'JerrysFeudinAgain\' date=\'Jul 27 2004, 09:16 PM\']Does Caldwell talk about the red boxes on your tape?  :)[/quote]
he he...no.  Although, I can see how old Jim might be confused.  After all, there was a nine square board on the set.  :)

Actually, it's just the closing music with a couple of "we'll see you next time"'s mixed in.  I think it's Dan Miller's voice actually.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

PS- From what I remember, Caldwell wasn't horrible on this show was he?

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 01:25:25 AM »
An older, wiser Jim Caldwell made for a more pleasant hosting experience on Top Card.

But, as we know, it was all warm-up for that legendary Dura-Lube infomercial.
@lambertman

SplitSecond

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 07:14:54 AM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' date=\'Jul 27 2004, 10:25 PM\'] An older, wiser Jim Caldwell made for a more pleasant hosting experience on Top Card. [/quote]
Jim was also coiffed in such a way that, behind his podium, he looked like a blond Jim Perry from Card Sharks (especially considering the similarities in design elements between the two shows).

Caldwell ran Top Card more smoothly than he did Tic Tac Dough, but he still seemed ever-so-slightly disconnected from the camera, and it made him seem insincere.

Dan Miller was an acquired taste, to be sure, but he was just so gosh-darn likeable.  Paige Brown, his sidekick, also had more personality than her predecessor, Blake Pickett.  But then, so does cottage cheese.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 07:15:42 AM by SplitSecond »

uncamark

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 05:33:09 PM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Jul 28 2004, 06:14 AM\']Caldwell ran Top Card more smoothly than he did Tic Tac Dough, but he still seemed ever-so-slightly disconnected from the camera, and it made him seem insincere.

[/quote]
Since his "TTD" ran ever-so-briefly in Chicago, "Top Card" was my main exposure to the Jim Caldwell experience.  Not a pretty sight (along with taking out all of the neat memory elements from the game in the second season).

Dan Miller was an acquired taste, to be sure, but he was just so gosh-darn likeable.  Paige Brown, his sidekick, also had more personality than her predecessor, Blake Pickett.  But then, so does cottage cheese.

Miller wasn't the greatest host in the world, but he was better than Caldwell and did have that old-shoe comfortableness.

Paige had worked with Miller on the TNN "American Magazine" show and was probably overqualified for the "Top Card" gig.  On the other hand, Blake would've been OK if they didn't have her talk--if it was any other channel but TNN, she would've been sent to a voice teacher posthaste to tone down that accent.