Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New game/reality show premiering on 7-22-2004  (Read 2489 times)

Michael Brandenburg

New game/reality show premiering on 7-22-2004
« on: July 22, 2004, 06:57:37 PM »
In today's USA Today, I saw this interesting article about a new game/reality show called Studio 7 that will premiere tonight (7-22-2004) on the WB network, and for those of you who don't get that paper, here's a link to that article in their on-line edition:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/ne...1-studio7_x.htm

You will note that the article compares this new show to The Real World, Survivor, and The Bachelor, but I seem to find a connection to The Weakest Link as well, since it involves a big-money quiz game in which the contestants vote to see who gets eliminated at certain points in the game.  So how could the people at USA Today overlook that?

Michael Brandenburg
(I guess it is because The Weakest Link is only on three different cable networks every day -- GSN, PAX, and BBC America.)

TimK2003

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 08:05:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Michael Brandenburg\' date=\'Jul 22 2004, 05:57 PM\']
You will note that the article compares this new show to The Real World, Survivor, and The Bachelor, but I seem to find a connection to The Weakest Link as well, since it involves a big-money quiz game in which the contestants vote to see who gets eliminated at certain points in the game.  So how could the people at USA Today overlook that?

[/quote]
 I don't know, but I happened to snatch a copy of today's Akron Beacon Journal, which also had a review of the show,... Doesn't look too promising, but then aside from Gilmore Girls, what on the WB is?

The article can be found here:
http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/entertainment/9213212.htm

Michael Brandenburg

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 10:25:45 PM »
Well, now that I've seen it, I must conclude that it will either do one of two things:

1. It will bomb because the audience the WB is trying to target with this show doesn't want to watch a game show, or,

2. It will be a giant success because it will be a welcome break from today's crop of downright awful "reality shows."

The show turned out to be less of a "ripoff" than I was expecting.  Seven players, one wrong answer puts a player into a sort of a "penalty box," and then the surviving players vote to determine who from the "penalty box" gets eliminated (only one per round).  (In comparison, It's Your Chance of a Lifetime from a few years ago was simply too much of a Who Wants to be a Millionaire clone to amount to anything good.)

Also, the drama element on the show is played up to the hilt, just like it was on those great quiz shows of the 1950s before they fell victim to the great scandal, and though the program was somewhat youth-oriented, the questions were certainly no "easy kid stuff."

This is a show that should succed for the WB, but will it?  We'll find out next week when the ratings get published in USA Today!

Michael Brandenburg
(And for those of you who missed this show, the WB will have it on again next Sunday night!)

reason1024

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 10:19:31 AM »
Overall, I liked Studio 7 a good bit.

Host: Great choice.  He looks young, but he has authority.  He did an excellent job, I thought, reading the questions in the rapid-fire round.  Some other posters suggested that he either become meaner or much more jocular, but I find the balance he struck on the first episode perfect: It's a high-tension quiz show, after all.  His position evokes the authority of a principal or dean, and he's as cordial as anyone in that position should be.  His relative detachment allows the contestants to congratulate or console each other and have those actions mean more in the vaccuum.

The Pool: It seems like a cheap, worthless gimmick on first look.  Its effects on the contestants in the memorization round are hard for the viewer to grasp (I'm reciting a huge list, on TV, in front of an audience, for a lot of money WHILE standing over a pool of water I could fall into!), and gave me the unpleasant suspicion that they were going to dump a contestant in once they gave a wrong item.  

But, as a device for taking the rings out of play, it's EXCELLENT.  Handing the ring to an assistant?  No.  Putting it in a slot?  No.  When you toss your ring into the pool, you're taking your ONE AND ONLY "LIFELINE" and throwing it away for a shot at help.  Very powerful visual implications there, evoking a wishing well as well as the irrevocability of the decision.

The Memorization Round: >I< don't like this part of the show because it gets me thinking, "Man, I don't think I could do this, and if I had to, it would be the biggest pain in the ass ever."  But, it's pretty impressive to see contestants do well here.

I've got to wrap this post up, but the last couple of pros and cons on my mind:

- I think the good use of interviews and house shots from the first episode shows that the concept was worth exploring: it gave a deeper story to the game and made for a stronger emotional connection (for or against) with the contestants.

- I like the balance between merit and politics.  The last 2 rounds have no politics at all, and the single-elimination round can provide great moments if someone doesn't know the answer and still has their ring: help me or I'm gone... possibly at risk to you, and if you don't have your ring, I can't even help you back anymore.

- The final timed round is the only round where there can be a blowout and a little bit of an anti-climax.  I'm not sure if a tweak or a move to a Weakest-Link style shootout is called for.

- The editing really needed to be tighter in some points, and it might have been nice to stage the walks to isolation with a little more ceremony, but perhaps the show needs to pick up pace at that point.

Gotta go!

CaseyAbell

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 11:13:35 AM »
1. It will bomb because the audience the WB is trying to target with this show doesn't want to watch a game show, or,

2. It will be a giant success because it will be a welcome break from today's crop of downright awful "reality shows."
The correct answer is...NUMBAH ONE! The show got a 1.2/2 in the fast nationals. Yikes, put on a test pattern. It's cheaper:

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/...9522|1|,00.html

Truth to tell, this number isn't absolutely horrendous by WB summertime standards. But the repeats of Reba appear to have outdrawn it considerably to get the netlet's (love Variety) average up to 1.5/3 for the night. Tumbling from such an already low lead-in doesn't bode well for a long and happy life.

Michael Davies told the Prof that Studio 7's fate would affect the possibilities for game shows on all network teevee. Maybe he shouldn't have said that. ABC execs may look at these numbers and forget about a third run for Super Millionaire.

EDIT: MediaLifeMagazine reads the show's last rites:

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/news2004/...ews7friday.html

A 0.7 in the almighty 18-49 demo doesn't look real swell, even on the WB. MediaLifeMagazine, by the way, thinks we're all born eighteen years old and we all expire on our fiftieth birthdays.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 11:49:34 AM by CaseyAbell »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 11:35:34 AM »
We don't have a WB affil in our market (too big for WB100+, so we don't even get it on cable), so I didn't see the show, but in reading the reviews, I conclude that the show was neither fish or fowl.  Maybe the reality and game show genres don't mix.  Those who like traditonal reality shows (The "traditionalists") don't like the game elements and vice versa.  Fans of both genres apparently make up 1.2/2 of the teevee audience.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.