Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Newlywed vs. Fahrenheit  (Read 2537 times)

Mike Tennant

Newlywed vs. Fahrenheit
« on: July 22, 2004, 11:14:19 AM »
Read the story here.

comicus

Newlywed vs. Fahrenheit
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 11:46:19 AM »
So he was wronged by Michael Moore, and now he wants payback?  Get in line, Bob.

(Side note: I wonder if the dinks at NewsMax are even aware that the "Tiffany Network" is a monicker for CBS...)

Michael Brandenburg

Newlywed vs. Fahrenheit
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 11:57:11 AM »
If the "Tiffany Network" is CBS, then I'm not surprised -- but I didn't know Bob Eubanks was still employed by them prior to that time, since it was back in the 1980s I had been seeing him on that network regularly (on the daytime Card Sharks).

Oh, and I had just posted in another thread, CBS wiped out the second half of today's (7-22-2004) TPIR for special "news coverage" of the report from the "9/11 Commission" on the unfortunate and tragic events of that date in 2001.  I'm not really quarreling here with their cameras being turned on to the members of the commission presenting their actual findings, but once they got finished with their say on this, my TV was immediately tuned to another channel!

Michael Brandenburg
(And I'll analyze their report myself, thank you, rather than accept at face value the "commentary" that will likely follow -- and will likely run as long the commissioners' presentation!)

Robair

Newlywed vs. Fahrenheit
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 11:57:51 AM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' date=\'Jul 22 2004, 10:46 AM\'] So he was wronged by Michael Moore, and now he wants payback?  Get in line, Bob.

(Side note: I wonder if the dinks at NewsMax are even aware that the "Tiffany Network" is a monicker for CBS...) [/quote]
 Which could intimate that CBS was none too happy about that and pulled "Card Sharks" as a result. This came down about the time "Roger" was released and "CS" was in its CBS twilight, but I've never before seen the two events connected. Or maybe I'm just slow...
--Robair

Jimmy Owen

Newlywed vs. Fahrenheit
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 12:43:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Jul 22 2004, 10:57 AM\'] [quote name=\'CountdownRound\' date=\'Jul 22 2004, 10:46 AM\'] So he was wronged by Michael Moore, and now he wants payback?  Get in line, Bob.

(Side note: I wonder if the dinks at NewsMax are even aware that the "Tiffany Network" is a monicker for CBS...) [/quote]
Which could intimate that CBS was none too happy about that and pulled "Card Sharks" as a result. This came down about the time "Roger" was released and "CS" was in its CBS twilight, but I've never before seen the two events connected. Or maybe I'm just slow... [/quote]
 CBS might have gotten an advance screening, but the movie went into general release after CS went off, but Bob didn't get another CBS show after that. Bob was in Flint in the summer of 1985 at the Genesee County Fair for a live NG attraction, so I'm fairly positive Moore filmed the interview around that time.  I don't think anyone interviewed for that movie realized it would ever be shown outside of Michigan.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

Newlywed vs. Fahrenheit
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 01:24:28 PM »
CBS might have gotten an advance screening, but the movie went into general release after CS went off, but Bob didn't get another CBS show after that.
Of course, there's a huge difference between "fired" and "didn't get another job after that".  For Eubanks to claim he got fired over Roger and Me is revisionist history that's every bit as bad as what the conservative critics accuse Moore of doing.
(Side note: I wonder if the dinks at NewsMax are even aware that the "Tiffany Network" is a monicker for CBS...)
I know it's always dangerous to use actual journalistic standards to judge stuff that shows up on the internet, but from the looks of the article, it would seem that the writer thought "Tiffany Network" referred to some niche channel that sold lamps or something.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 01:28:35 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

sshuffield70

Newlywed vs. Fahrenheit
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 01:25:02 PM »
Bob dropped out of sight with CS and NG out.  I don't think he was on again until the 1997 NG.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Newlywed vs. Fahrenheit
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 01:53:11 PM »
When was Bob Eubanks employed by CBS?

If there were a problem just with Eubanks, why wouldn't CBS ask MGP to replace him rather than cancel the show?

uncamark

Newlywed vs. Fahrenheit
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004, 02:13:14 PM »
I'll stay out of partisan politics, but I'll point out that this is the web site that once implied that because a multiplex ticket seller sold a lady a ticket to another movie besides "Passion of the Christ," the one she wanted to see, that it was part of a plot by liberal Hollywood to keep Mel Gibson down.

In fact, sometimes NewsMax makes Fox News Channel look like Pacifica.

Mike Tennant

Newlywed vs. Fahrenheit
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 02:26:11 PM »
Believe me:  I don't swallow everything NewsMax runs--far from it; nor do I share their antipathy toward Michael Moore (although his tactics, as exhibited in Roger & Me, are sometimes questionable).  I just thought it was an interesting little story, and it didn't seem too far out of the realm of possibility.  Perhaps someone here who knows how to contact Bob can find out if it's accurate or not.

tvwxman

Newlywed vs. Fahrenheit
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 02:32:18 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jul 22 2004, 12:25 PM\'] Bob dropped out of sight with CS and NG out.  I don't think he was on again until the 1997 NG. [/quote]
 Nope. Infatuation and Family Secrets....one a syndie , one a network show, so it can't even be inferred that the nets wouldn't touch him after the Rog and Me episode...
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Matt Ottinger

Newlywed vs. Fahrenheit
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2004, 02:38:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Jul 22 2004, 02:26 PM\'] Perhaps someone here who knows how to contact Bob can find out if it's accurate or not. [/quote]
 Maybe you're not paying attention.  The story is patently false because Eubanks was not employed by CBS in order to be fired by CBS when the film came out. Also, for a story with today's dateline, it's pretty old news.  Eubanks has been whining about this for years, and except for the reference to his upcoming autobiography, the story could easily have been written ten years ago.

Is it true that Moore caught Eubanks saying a racially insensitive joke on camera?  Yep.  Did Moore trick him?  Probably.  But how stupid does a professional broadcaster have to be to see a camera pointed at him and take anybody at his word that it's not running, then trust that person so completely that you feel comfortable telling a joke that you know you would never say on camera?

Mike Tennant

Newlywed vs. Fahrenheit
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2004, 02:58:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jul 22 2004, 01:38 PM\'][quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Jul 22 2004, 02:26 PM\'] Perhaps someone here who knows how to contact Bob can find out if it's accurate or not. [/quote]
Maybe you're not paying attention.  The story is patently false because Eubanks was not employed by CBS in order to be fired by CBS when the film came out. Also, for a story with today's dateline, it's pretty old news.  Eubanks has been whining about this for years, and except for the reference to his upcoming autobiography, the story could easily have been written ten years ago.

Is it true that Moore caught Eubanks saying a racially insensitive joke on camera?  Yep.  Did Moore trick him?  Probably.  But how stupid does a professional broadcaster have to be to see a camera pointed at him and take anybody at his word that it's not running, then trust that person so completely that you feel comfortable telling a joke that you know you would never say on camera?[/quote]
OK.  I just saw a story and thought I'd post it here because it had to do with a game show personality.  You have refuted it--or at least the part about Eubanks's having been fired by CBS.  On the other hand, if he really wants to sock Michael Moore in the proboscis (and that may be entirely false, too), he's going to have to stand in line behind lots of Republicans and, I suspect, even a few Democrats.

SplitSecond

Newlywed vs. Fahrenheit
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2004, 03:19:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jul 22 2004, 11:38 AM\'] But how stupid does a professional broadcaster have to be to see a camera pointed at him and take anybody at his word that it's not running, then trust that person so completely that you feel comfortable telling a joke that you know you would never say on camera? [/quote]
 A rhetorical question, I hope.

Matt Ottinger

Newlywed vs. Fahrenheit
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2004, 03:47:28 PM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Jul 22 2004, 03:19 PM\'] [quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jul 22 2004, 11:38 AM\'] But how stupid does a professional broadcaster have to be to see a camera pointed at him and take anybody at his word that it's not running, then trust that person so completely that you feel comfortable telling a joke that you know you would never say on camera? [/quote]
A rhetorical question, I hope. [/quote]
 Thankfully, yes.  Though some hidden cameras could have caught some choice QuizBusters moments had they been in the control room after some shows...