Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sports Guy on Jeopardy Guy  (Read 1859 times)

DrBear

Sports Guy on Jeopardy Guy
« on: July 21, 2004, 05:05:28 PM »
Bill Simmons, the "Sports Guy" on espn.com, takes on Ken Jennings in his latest column. His view: Jennings is right up there as a guy you love to hate, the winning bad guy. But he also calls this "the summer of the Jeopardy Guy."

Me, I'm just waiting for the streak to end and somebody to post "Ken Jennings losing is NU! NU! NU!"
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

J.R.

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 08:40:21 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Jul 21 2004, 04:05 PM\']
Me, I'm just waiting for the streak to end and somebody to post "Ken Jennings losing is NU! NU! NU!" [/quote]
 Haw wuz "Jheophardi!" playyide ? Dhous Ailexe Trubehk kuestin teh auntheres ? Hew dhuz Khen Genniuzings nowe evhurtheing ? Tat wuld bi a funni !

Jlsoe Ar.
-Joe Raygor

brianhenke

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 11:25:32 PM »
How wuz "Jheophardi!" playyide?

Here we go again...

Brian

100 plus 100 equals 600?

We want some more pro wrestling (STILL) and NASCAR questions!
The leaves start to change color in May?

uncamark

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 02:37:07 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Jul 21 2004, 04:05 PM\']Bill Simmons, the "Sports Guy" on espn.com, takes on Ken Jennings in his latest column. His view: Jennings is right up there as a guy you love to hate, the winning bad guy. But he also calls this "the summer of the Jeopardy Guy."[/quote]
In his blog, the Chicago Tribune's Eric Zorn sounds a similar refrain (scroll down the page, you may have to register).

The headline, "Who is a Guy Whose Face You Just Want to Slap?," says it all--except this:

Will they let this go on for seven more weeks? Fourteen weeks after that? Will the viewing public ultimately get bored watching this simpering trivia robot spit out correct responses?

I hope John Kerry addresses this in his speech.

CaseyAbell

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 03:11:34 PM »
Hm. I always want to punch out a certain irritating, know-it-all-in-his-own-asinine-opinion, legend-in-his-own-itty-bitty-mind, Boston-centric sports jerk who spews drivel for ESPN that's even worse than ESPN's usual drivel. Which makes him all-world in drivelity.

But then I calm down. BTW, wasn't there another follically-challenged guy named...Matt?

Ducking. Quick.

Halfway seriously, there's something more than a little obnoxious about Sammons picking on a civvie like Ken. Politicians and movie mugs and other "public figures" in the Supreme Court's memorable phrase may deserve the occasional drubbing. But Ken Jennings is a relatively private figure who hardly merits such really childish attacks.

One more reason to dislike Sammons, as if any more were needed. He even takes a bigot's slap at Ken's religion with his "Mormon assassin" idiocy. But he knows Mormons are not a protected minority in Disneyland. So he won't get Limbaughed.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 05:51:06 PM by CaseyAbell »

Mike Tennant

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 03:13:13 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jul 22 2004, 01:37 PM\']In his blog, the Chicago Tribune's Eric Zorn sounds a similar refrain (scroll down the page, you may have to register).

The headline, "Who is a Guy Whose Face You Just Want to Slap?," says it all--except this:

Will they let this go on for seven more weeks? Fourteen weeks after that? Will the viewing public ultimately get bored watching this simpering trivia robot spit out correct responses?

I hope John Kerry addresses this in his speech.[/quote]
He'll probably say, "I voted to slap him before I voted not to slap him."