Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I think Mr. Jennings deserves this  (Read 5165 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
I think Mr. Jennings deserves this
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2004, 01:47:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Lemonjello\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 12:37 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 01:06 PM\'] [quote name=\'Lemonjello\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 09:32 AM\'] Well, it's not unfair to compare Alex to Ken, is it? And, the fact that Ken easily beats Alex ought to tell you that Ken would beat Bill even if he was "in his prime" now. [/quote]
Your logic is Karlbergian in it's utter inanity. [/quote]
Let me guess, you have a Bill Cullen poster hanging in your room, don't you? [/quote]
 Which isn't the point at all.  His point is that Bill Cullen died in 1990...before the internet was commonplace.  This is 2004....when it is commonplace...and Ken Jennings is all the rage. You were comparing Granny Smiths to Navels.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Lemonjello

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2004, 01:48:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 01:36 PM\'] For example, if your search term goes from "ken jennings" to "ken Jennings" + jeopardy, the hits go from 57,600 to 24,400.  And I doubt that there are too many references to THAT Ken Jennings that don't also mention Jeopardy.
 [/quote]
 Well, that's a bit biased, don't you think? "Bill Cullen"+host brings him down to 2,460. I doubt there are too many Bill Cullen references that don't mention the word "host."

whampyl03

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2004, 02:03:26 PM »
Well, it's not unfair to compare Alex to Ken, is it? And, the fact that Ken easily beats Alex ought to tell you that Ken would beat Bill even if he was "in his prime" now.

I think it would be MORE fair then BC vs. KJ, but still not completely fair considering Alex's career predated wide-spread internet use as well. (Using the "No Internet in 1956" logic previously stated by Jimmy Owen.)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 02:47:41 PM by whampyl03 »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2004, 02:08:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Lemonjello\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 01:48 PM\'] [quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 01:36 PM\'] For example, if your search term goes from "ken jennings" to "ken Jennings" + jeopardy, the hits go from 57,600 to 24,400.  And I doubt that there are too many references to THAT Ken Jennings that don't also mention Jeopardy.
 [/quote]
Well, that's a bit biased, don't you think? "Bill Cullen"+host brings him down to 2,460. I doubt there are too many Bill Cullen references that don't mention the word "host." [/quote]
 <sigh>

Careful about which arguments you're making.  YOU said that 99% of the "ken jennings" Google hits were about the Jeopardy player.  I used several examples to show you how incredibly wrong you were.  There are tens of thousands of hits that appear to have nothing to do with the Jeopardy champ, and specifically relate to other people named Ken Jennings.

I wasn't making any argument about your comparison with Bill Cullen, which I frankly find pointless and more or less accurate at the same time. I happen to know that there are many other Bill Cullens who have a presence on the internet.

Finally, if you Google "Bill Cullen" MINUS host, seven of the ten links on the first page are still about the game show host Bill Cullen.  If you Google "Ken Jennings" MINUS jeopardy, none of the hits on the first page (and only one of the first twenty) are about the champ.  So that was a pretty lousy example on your part.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Lemonjello

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2004, 02:13:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 01:47 PM\'] His point is that Bill Cullen died in 1990...before the internet was commonplace.  This is 2004....when it is commonplace...and Ken Jennings is all the rage. You were comparing Granny Smiths to Navels. [/quote]
 Yes, but Trebek is very much alive and quite popular, isn't he? And, he and Cullen are comparable, aren't they? Since Jennings > Trebek, than isn't it safe to say that Jennings would have more hits than Cullen even if he were alive and in his prime?

Anyway, I don't think being dead means much Google-wise. Babe Ruth has been dead for a very long time, And he still has more hits than Barry Bonds.

Dbacksfan12

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2004, 02:28:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Lemonjello\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 01:13 PM\'] Yes, but Trebek is very much alive and quite popular, isn't he? And, he and Cullen are comparable, aren't they? [/quote]
 Not at all.
Read up about 3 posts.
--Mark

adamjk

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2004, 02:37:24 PM »
I just typed in Ken Jennings on Yahoo, and found this article:
http://www.kottke.org/04/07/ken-jennings-jeopardy

Funny stuff.

Lemonjello

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2004, 02:53:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 02:08 PM\'] Finally, if you Google "Bill Cullen" MINUS host, seven of the ten links on the first page are still about the game show host Bill Cullen.  If you Google "Ken Jennings" MINUS jeopardy, none of the hits on the first page (and only one of the first twenty) are about the champ.  So that was a pretty lousy example on your part. [/quote]
Well, all that means is that Ken Jennings is attached to the word "Jeopardy" more then Bill Cullen is attached to the word "host."

Yes, I was wrong about 99%. But, fact is, ("Ken Jennings"+ Jeopardy) blows ("Bill Cullen" + host) out of the water on Google. Does he deserve to (not that it matters much anyway)? Who knows. It's just a matter of opinion.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 02:55:15 PM by Lemonjello »

Lemonjello

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2004, 03:02:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 02:28 PM\'] [quote name=\'Lemonjello\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 01:13 PM\'] Yes, but Trebek is very much alive and quite popular, isn't he? And, he and Cullen are comparable, aren't they? [/quote]
Not at all.
Read up about 3 posts. [/quote]
 I think you'd better see my post about Barry Bonds and Babe Ruth.

Dbacksfan12

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2004, 03:04:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Lemonjello\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 02:02 PM\'] [quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 02:28 PM\'] [quote name=\'Lemonjello\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 01:13 PM\'] Yes, but Trebek is very much alive and quite popular, isn't he? And, he and Cullen are comparable, aren't they? [/quote]
Not at all.
Read up about 3 posts. [/quote]
I think you'd better see my post about Barry Bonds and Babe Ruth. [/quote]
 I think you'd better have an inkling of a clue as to what your posting, as two baseball players, versus two game show hosts are two completely different mediums.
--Mark

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2004, 03:05:43 PM »
Now the link works.

We'll replace Bill with Ken only if you can make it an animated GIF with his head spinning round and round a la Linda Blair and the Match Game opening vamp underneath.

Maybe.

rigsby

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2004, 03:19:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Lemonjello\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 01:13 PM\'] Babe Ruth has been dead for a very long time, And he still has more hits than Barry Bonds. [/quote]
 He also has more hits on Google than Ken Jennings...

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2004, 03:37:13 PM »

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2004, 04:11:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Lemonjello\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 02:02 PM\'] I think you'd better see my post about Barry Bonds and Babe Ruth. [/quote]
 Yep, you and Karlberg should talk.

Your argument has so many holes in it isn't funny.  Just give it up.

Brandon Brooks

CarShark

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2004, 04:59:46 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 02:37 PM\'] He deserves this, too:

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/N.../15/543421.html [/quote]
What do you have against the man, anyways? It's not his fault that he is smart or that he is good at the game. I blame the other contestants more than anyone else. Mr. Ottinger proved that Mr. Jennings is not an insurmountable force, so they really have no excuse for getting blown out other than their own incompetence.

I think that Mr. Jennings could adorn a game show website if people are still talking about him 25-30 years later, as with Bill Cullen.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 05:01:20 PM by STYDfan »