Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WagerWeb.com is getting in on the KenJen action  (Read 2027 times)

WhammyPower

trainman

WagerWeb.com is getting in on the KenJen action
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 10:20:14 PM »
How long until WagerWeb.com notices an unusually high number of bets coming from sony.com computers?

Better yet, how long until WagerWeb.com goes bankrupt trying to pay out all the winnings to people on the "Jeopardy!" production staff?
trainman is a man of trains

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 10:34:24 PM »
Better yet, how long until WagerWeb.com goes bankrupt trying to pay out all the winnings to people on the "Jeopardy!" production staff?

Jim Ellwanger, gambling genius. :) Let me extrapolate a bit and say that for the price of a trip to Cali (in some of our cases, the gas money) you can perhaps get in on this HOT BETTING ACTION. Obviously they didn't think this through.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 05:51:00 AM »
I wonder if any of the bookies in Las Vegas are getting in on this stuff?

Anyway. according to wagerweb.com, Ken bowing out within the 1st week of the new season is the odds-on favoritte(1:2).  That means Ken may NOT break Thom McKee's streak after all.  Of course, the longer the streak goes, the longer the odds.  If I'd bet $25 that Ken takes at least 31 shows before bowing out, I'd win a cool $375.  But, I'm not a full-fledged gambler so I'll steer clear of that site & let the streak ride itself out

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 08:26:00 AM »
Meet Harry Friedman, multi-zillionaire.

OntarioQuizzer

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 10:58:02 AM »
Wow.

Wagerweb.com is incredibly stupid.

Do they not know that more shows have already been taped?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 11:30:07 AM »
[quote name=\'OntarioQuizzer\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 07:58 AM\'] Do they not know that more shows have already been taped? [/quote]
 Do YOU know conclusively that they have?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 11:32:22 AM »
[quote name=\'OntarioQuizzer\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 10:58 AM\'] Wow.
Wagerweb.com is incredibly stupid.
Do they not know that more shows have already been taped? [/quote]
 My first instinct as well (and most everybody else's too).  Then I read it again.  

WagerWeb.com is merely posting odds on Ken's results.  That's not the same thing as taking bets on Ken's results.  I went to their website, and best as I can tell, there's no way to actually put down money with them about Jeopardy.  They merely took advantage of this headline-making event to get a little attention for themselves. Pretty smart, actually.

Also, Craig said:
Anyway. according to wagerweb.com, Ken bowing out within the 1st week of the new season is the odds-on favoritte(1:2). That means Ken may NOT break Thom McKee's streak after all.
Your logic fascinates me.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 11:33:37 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 11:30 AM\'] [quote name=\'OntarioQuizzer\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 07:58 AM\'] Do they not know that more shows have already been taped? [/quote]
Do YOU know conclusively that they have? [/quote]
 It's been pretty reliably reported that two weeks of games for season 21 were taped in late April.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 11:38:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 02:51 AM\'] Anyway. according to wagerweb.com, Ken bowing out within the 1st week of the new season is the odds-on favoritte(1:2).  That means Ken may NOT break Thom McKee's streak after all. [/quote]
 It does? I don't see a SINGLE correlation between some online bookie setting odds on a non-sports event and the event's outcome. NOT ONE.

Ya know, when I first started here at Atari, they had me working with this guy who had not one inkling of a clue about logical troubleshooting. You call me, you tell me your game is skipping, I'm gonna tell you the CD is prolly dirty and you should wash it, right? This guy would tell the customer to go update their video drivers.

I likened it to a lotto machine up in his head...he had all of these balls with tech solutions on them, and when a call came in, the lotto machine would turn on, and a ball would pop out of his mouth, and it might say "CONFIGURE SOUND CARD". And the customer might be having some kind of video problem, but dammit, he was gonna find out how to configure his sound card.

Just sayin', is all. I was reminded of him for some reason.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004, 02:59:39 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 11:38 AM\'] I likened it to a lotto machine up in his head...he had all of these balls with tech solutions on them, and when a call came in, the lotto machine would turn on, and a ball would pop out of his mouth, and it might say "CONFIGURE SOUND CARD". And the customer might be having some kind of video problem, but dammit, he was gonna find out how to configure his sound card.
 [/quote]
 Magic 8 Ball says, "Signs point to yes."

starcade

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2004, 10:16:53 PM »
Incredibly stupid, indeed...  Anyone who's run over USENET knows that the first shows of next year have been taped already.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2004, 10:44:45 AM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 10:16 PM\'] Incredibly stupid, indeed...  Anyone who's run over USENET knows that the first shows of next year have been taped already. [/quote]
Is ANYBODY reading an entire thread before posting anymore?

There's nothing stupid about what Wagerweb did, because they're not taking bets on Ken Jennings action.  They merely got publicity for themselves by sending out a press release giving odds.  They don't particularly care what you do with those odds, nor for that matter how accurate they are.  They just wanted the attention.

Also, why would anybody need to run over to Usenet to find out information that is, for example, IN THIS VERY THREAD????
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 10:45:44 AM by Matt Ottinger »