Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Weakest Link and the Top of the Chain  (Read 23547 times)

roadgeek

Weakest Link and the Top of the Chain
« on: July 24, 2004, 09:31:14 PM »
Has anyone ever gotten to the top of the chain on Weakest Link?  And if someone did, would the round end with the bank holding $125,000 even, or would it hold $125,000 + what was already banked, or would the round continue with $125,000 added to the bank?

Millionaire76

zachhoran

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 09:38:19 PM »
[quote name=\'roadgeek\' date=\'Jul 24 2004, 08:31 PM\'] Has anyone ever gotten to the top of the chain on Weakest Link?  And if someone did, would the round end with the bank holding $125,000 even, or would it hold $125,000 + what was already banked, or would the round continue with $125,000 added to the bank? [/quote]
  When the top of the money chain is reached, the player can say "Bank" to bank the money. If they do that, the round ends. If not, a player can blow the bank by missing the question, when they could have ended the round and not risked losing the sure max amount by saying "Bank". If someone didn't say Bank upon reaching the top of the chain, a Misplay of the Day award would be given to them by the Invision crew.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 09:46:36 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 24 2004, 06:38 PM\'] a Misplay of the Day award would be given to them by the Invision crew. [/quote]
 No, it would be given by you. Please do not misrepresent those posts as endorsed by the rest of us.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

sshuffield70

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 09:48:45 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 24 2004, 08:46 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 24 2004, 06:38 PM\'] a Misplay of the Day award would be given to them by the Invision crew. [/quote]
No, it would be given by you. Please do not misrepresent those posts as endorsed by the rest of us. [/quote]
 Damn, you're fast, Chris!  I was about to say the same damn thing. :) :)

Kevin Prather

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2004, 09:49:35 PM »
Of course, a team can be awarded a Misplay award by some people here just by not reaching $1 million.

zachhoran

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 09:54:17 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 24 2004, 08:46 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 24 2004, 06:38 PM\'] a Misplay of the Day award would be given to them by the Invision crew. [/quote]
No, it would be given by you. Please do not misrepresent those posts as endorsed by the rest of us. [/quote]
 Don't forget Tmq and Bandit and the others who post such spoilers :)

roadgeek

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2004, 10:41:52 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I'm surprised it ever happened -- usually someone chickens out by that point -- and that the last person actually had to say "bank".  Great clip!

tvrandywest

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2004, 12:07:34 AM »
[quote name=\'roadgeek\' date=\'Jul 24 2004, 06:41 PM\'] Thanks everyone.  I'm surprised it ever happened -- usually someone chickens out by that point -- and that the last person actually had to say "bank".  Great clip! [/quote]
 During the 319 episodes (network and syndie) the team got to the top of the chain a few times. The most memorable time was when the next player forgot to say "Bank"!!

The team had $125,000 but the rules say the money isn't banked until someone says "Bank" at the beginning of their turn. The player who should have said it was apparently having a brain fart and just stood there! The entire audience inhaled simultaneously - you could hear it. Anne asked the next question - a wrong answer would have cost them the $125,000. Miraculously, the player got the answer correct, and the next player screamed "BANK!" The place went wild. They voted off the jerk.

Unforgetable, and it made for a great warm-up story for future audiences.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2004, 12:25:51 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 24 2004, 08:54 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 24 2004, 08:46 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 24 2004, 06:38 PM\'] a Misplay of the Day award would be given to them by the Invision crew. [/quote]
Don't forget Tmq and Bandit and the others who post such spoilers :) [/quote]
 Which still doesn't qualify as "endorsed by the rest of us."

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

dscungio

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2004, 09:25:19 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jul 24 2004, 11:07 PM\'][quote name=\'roadgeek\' date=\'Jul 24 2004, 06:41 PM\'] Thanks everyone.  I'm surprised it ever happened -- usually someone chickens out by that point -- and that the last person actually had to say "bank".  Great clip! [/quote]
During the 319 episodes (network and syndie) the team got to the top of the chain a few times. The most memorable time was when the next player forgot to say "Bank"!!

The team had $125,000 but the rules say the money isn't banked until someone says "Bank" at the beginning of their turn. The player who should have said it was apparently having a brain fart and just stood there! The entire audience inhaled simultaneously - you could hear it. Anne asked the next question - a wrong answer would have cost them the $125,000. Miraculously, the player got the answer correct, and the next player screamed "BANK!" The place went wild. They voted off the jerk.

[/quote]
IIRC, the $125,000 target was banked only once on the prime time show!  Perhaps Randy can verify this?  I know that the episode seen in the video link a few posts up debuted on PAX, not NBC.  Maybe there were prime time episodes that never aired?  If so, did any of them come close to banking $125,000?

-Dean

tvrandywest

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2004, 09:54:33 AM »
[quote name=\'dscungio\' date=\'Jul 25 2004, 05:25 AM\'] IIRC, the $125,000 target was banked only once on the prime time show!  Perhaps Randy can verify this?  I know that the episode seen in the video link a few posts up debuted on PAX, not NBC.  Maybe there were prime time episodes that never aired?  If so, did any of them come close to banking $125,000?[/quote]
Frankly, the 319 episodes have all run together into a giant blur. We did as many as 4 shows a day and often switched between prime time and syndie one day to the next to accommodate Anne's travel schedule and host fatigue.

I KNOW that we maxed the chain a handful of times, but I can't be sure how many were on the 80 prime time shows we taped and how many were on the syndie episodes.

Maybe there were prime time episodes that never aired?
I have heard from an excellent source at GSN that there are episodes in the GSN package that did not air on NBC, but I don't have the details.

Blur or not,  I will never forget that incident of reaching the top of the chain and not banking!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 09:57:11 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2004, 01:26:42 PM »
We did as many as 4 shows a day and often switched between prime time and syndie one day to the next to accommodate Anne's travel schedule and host fatigue.
Four shows per day? Man alive! Sitting through just one was a marathon! If none of you were ever at a WL taping you missed the opportunity to see Randy earn his weight in platinum the way he kept studio audiences, well, awake :-)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 01:27:10 PM by chris319 »

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2004, 03:02:52 PM »
Since Randy has admitted that the episodes have become a blur, I am VERY HUMBLY going to offer my own recollections on complete chain banking.

The $125K was reached and banked once on the network version--I'm pretty sure that's what the WMV file previously linked to is a clip of. However, on the TV Moms edition, a $75K chain was banked--followed by a right answer, which is painful enough--and then a $50K chain was subsequently run. The next celebrity failed to bank . . . AND missed her question. (Anne rather humorously had to explain the addition to her.)

In the syndie run, $12,500 and $25,000 chains were run often enough that, by the middle of the second season, I would say it was no longer a "SPOILER!!" event. However, there was a close call in that version as well--a contestant failed to bank a full chain, but managed to come up with another correct answer with two seconds left on the clock. You could hear the audience holding their breath to see if the frantic "BANK!" that followed was in time or not. (It was.)

Oh, and I vaguely remember a syndie episode where a contestant inherited a $5,000 chain (5 of 6 links) with 3 seconds left on the clock, and failed to realize she needed to bank until after George had begun the question. "That bank was too laaaate . . ."
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2004, 03:06:47 PM »
Don't think anyone answered the second part of the original question, either . . .

Only the maximum could be won per round, even if the total of the chains banked exceeded it (a $500 followed by a $25,000 would only be $25,000, for example). This happened (I believe) twice on the syndie version, and George even mentioned something like "you actually exceeded your target, but you only get the maximum X dollars".
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin